Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

TV License

Posted 29th May
I haven't purchased a TV license in years because I don't watch TV. My TV is used for my PS4. However, due to the lock down and the need for information regarding regulations/updates/press conferences I have logged into iplayer to watch the news. They are now contacting people saying the following "Our records show you’ve used BBC iPlayer on a number of occasions over recent weeks." Half the time I've switched it off within 5 mins.

So no time spared in prosecuting the public in these trying times. So should I have stayed in the dark regarding press conferences? Ignored all the lock down information and claim ignorance because I don't pay TV license. Good ol' BBC.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
So you don't watch Live TV so don't pay for a licence, fair enough...........

But then you have said you have watched Live TV, so therefore you should pay for a licence.

You can't have it both ways...
What a donkey. You used it. So you pay.
The TV licence fee is pretty clear cut,
You watch it you pay
You dont watch it you dont pay.

Youve watched it, you pay. Simples.
Frankie7729/05/2020 13:07

Typical response. They won't get a penny. Evil corporation.

Just in case you were not aware. Currently under review, but at the moment it is a criminal offence (not civil) if you are found guilty of not possessing a licence when you should have done. You can clearly use the internet so all necessary news could have been obtained that way. Sounds as if they are onto you, you have been caught and for you the "chase is over" but you would not know what is meant by that!
47 Comments
So you don't watch Live TV so don't pay for a licence, fair enough...........

But then you have said you have watched Live TV, so therefore you should pay for a licence.

You can't have it both ways...
5 minutes or 5 hours? Why should it make any difference? There are plenty of other news outlets online, so why moan when you're charged for something that people have to pay for?
The TV licence fee is pretty clear cut,
You watch it you pay
You dont watch it you dont pay.

Youve watched it, you pay. Simples.

Evil corporation but you're happy to use their services when it suits you.
What response were you expecting?

Not really. My TV isnt plugged into live TV and I never watch BBC programs. Not even "for 5 minutes".

I would rather my money not go to the disgusting corporation that is the BBC.

You know the licence fee rules, flouted them, what did you expect?
What was interesting on TV I wonder go on website next time, not TV
Some common sense. Rather than preying on people during a pandemic, just like they are targeting the elderly. BBC account deleted. It was the website.
The website you needed to login to and confirm that you have a valid TV licence?

Just in case you were not aware. Currently under review, but at the moment it is a criminal offence (not civil) if you are found guilty of not possessing a licence when you should have done. You can clearly use the internet so all necessary news could have been obtained that way. Sounds as if they are onto you, you have been caught and for you the "chase is over" but you would not know what is meant by that!
What a donkey. You used it. So you pay.
I appreciate what you are saying, but there are soooo many other ways you could have gotten that information. No need to watch live press conferences.

I don't go out my way to keep up with the updates and changes on the pandemic and yet I still know them as it is impossible not to stumble upon articles about it.

Or just go to a news website and read the information. It's generally easier and more concise to read rather than listen to Boris waffle on.
Use radio, most staions have news updates every hour these days.
If not, you could read the latest news on a plethora of websites.

Problem solved.
In addition, a TV licence is required now if you watch TV or iPlayer. Doesn't matter if iPlayer is live or not.

Never knew that if you watch a live programme on other streaming services - say football or tennis on Amazon Prime - they you need a licence.
Edited by: "alg" 29th May
You make comments as if you had no other resources to access the news?

There are many news outlets available to suit everyone with access to the Internet, freeview TV, radio etc.
You knowingly chose to illegally access the news services provided by said “evil corporation”. You should pay the price.
Next time access news that suits you from a free source or one you are willing to pay for and preferably not rely on a source you believe to be evil. Where’s the sense in that
When you say:

They are now contacting people saying the following "Our records show you’ve used BBC iPlayer on a number of occasions over recent weeks."

How is this contact? email or snail mail? If the latter, how did they get your address?
MadeDixonsCry29/05/2020 13:30

When you say:They are now contacting people saying the following "Our …When you say:They are now contacting people saying the following "Our records show you’ve used BBC iPlayer on a number of occasions over recent weeks."How is this contact? email or snail mail? If the latter, how did they get your address?

Email. That's why i've deleted my BBC account.
Could have just used YouTube, Sky News stream live on it.

BBC News also post updates.

Or if you really want to watch BBC News live without big brother emailing you, just open the stream directly in VLC.

a.files.bbci.co.uk/med…3u8
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just watch it on the TV? They would have no knowledge of you doing that...

Instead, you accessed a service that you're not supposed to without a license??? I know it sucks but really, you kind of put your own head in the 'noose' - did you not?

Anyway, hope you're well Frankie77.
You didn’t need to watch it live, could have kept up to date off a news website
Oh don't get me wrong, I check a whole lot of sources. I'm not the typical who only intake one source of media. I only checked the BBC to have some balance and perspective on what the sheeple are being told. It was just convenient to log into bbc when I was studying at the same time. Anyways, I appreciate the comments. They still won't get a penny, hopefully it's a heads up for anyone else during these times.
Frankie7729/05/2020 13:31

And you won't like this, but by deleting your BBC account you may well have drawn more atention to yourself.
tardytortoise29/05/2020 14:11

And you won't like this, but by deleting your BBC account you may well …And you won't like this, but by deleting your BBC account you may well have drawn more atention to yourself.

Nope.
MANDRIB29/05/2020 13:47

Could have just used YouTube, Sky News stream live on it.BBC News also …Could have just used YouTube, Sky News stream live on it.BBC News also post updates. Or if you really want to watch BBC News live without big brother emailing you, just open the stream directly in VLC.http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio_video/simulcast/hls/uk/abr_hdtv/ak/bbc_news24.m3u8

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

Source: tvlicensing.co.uk/che…one
Edited by: "Uridium" 29th May
Frankie7729/05/2020 13:31

Why didnt you just use a temporary email account to register? Then use a VPN to view? Even the windscribe free VPN should be adequate at 20gb a month. Rookie schoolboy errors there my friend.
Edited by: "harlzter" 29th May
You need a TV licence to watch anything on iPlayer now (including on-demand content), so yes, you did need a licence to watch the news on iPlayer for any length of time.

You have to explicitly tell iPlayer that you have a licence before it lets you to watch anything. If you lied about having a licence, that fact and your subsequent use of the service - however brief - would have been recorded by them.

You can get all of the daily briefing details from the BBC News website or by listening to it live on the radio without needing a TV licence.
this thread is gonna go off, big time
On a serious note, what do you normies think I should do next? Pay for my 5 mins of tv license? I mean this won't ever happen again. I shall remember when WW3 starts to check other outlets instead for updates and public announcements.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 29th May
Frankie7729/05/2020 14:06

Oh don't get me wrong, I check a whole lot of sources. I'm not the typical …Oh don't get me wrong, I check a whole lot of sources. I'm not the typical who only intake one source of media. I only checked the BBC to have some balance and perspective on what the sheeple are being told. It was just convenient to log into bbc when I was studying at the same time. Anyways, I appreciate the comments. They still won't get a penny, hopefully it's a heads up for anyone else during these times.

You think you are Dominic Cummings?
Oh thanks for that. I was only using iplayer to check my eye sight.

Why ask then?
Uridium29/05/2020 14:27

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:watch or record …The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channelwatch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.Source: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Mind though, the key word in your bolded line is 'live'. You don't need a TV license to watch stuff that was broadcast live, but which is now just being streamed like any other previously recorded content.

OP, or for anyone in OP's position, you can watch all the COVID press conferences and public addresses you like, just not as they're being broadcast. Give it five minutes, and watch on a platform other than iPlayer, and you're completely legal. Also, never give any info to TVL or the BBC, unless you're happy to pay them.
Edited by: "Pájaro" 29th May
Set yourself up a new email address- dodgyfrankie77@gmail.com or something (only takes about 2 minutes) and set up an iPlayer account with that and other fictitious details. Then ignore any correspondence from them.
Sky news have a youtube live feed
HotUKDealsHobo29/05/2020 18:46

Sky news have a youtube live feed

But if you watch it live - you're supposed to get a licence...
If only we lived in an age where information was freely available over some sort of interconnected network where this information could be shared freely. Or failing that if there was just some type of daily publication to communicate current affairs.

We can but dream.
Edited by: "theworkingdead" 29th May
Post a comment
@
    Text