TV license BBC increase.

Posted 3rd Feb
TV license is going up again.

twitter.com/bbc…434

`The Government has confirmed that from 1 April 2020 the cost of the annual television licence fee will increase from £154.50 to £157.50`
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Gormond03/02/2020 17:11

Didn't they say a few years ago that it was going up ever year in line …Didn't they say a few years ago that it was going up ever year in line with CPI inflation?

I thought it was in line with GLPP (Gary Lineker's Pay Packet).
Never goes down. I stopped paying it several years ago.
i wouldnt mind if the bbc did anything worth watching...
dufflecoat_moon_turkey03/02/2020 19:07

Comment deleted

I really cannot think of anything we watch on the BBC anymore. It used to be good at documentaries & news but docs are no more unless you are into nature (occasional Attenborough) which we are not & also the news is so biased including the Question Time audience selection.

There really is nothing to watch. No sport, no films, bad news, nothing.
29 Comments
Never goes down. I stopped paying it several years ago.
Didn't they say a few years ago that it was going up ever year in line with CPI inflation?
Why?

Didn't they say a few years ago that it was going up ever year in line …Didn't they say a few years ago that it was going up ever year in line with CPI inflation?

I thought it was in line with GLPP (Gary Lineker's Pay Packet).

Yup.

"In 2016, the government said the fee would rise in line with inflation every year for five years from 1 April 2017."
i wouldnt mind if the bbc did anything worth watching...
Anyone want to split the cost with me and two others hahahaha
deleted1781203/02/2020 19:04

A TV Licence is not just for watching programmes from the BBC (as I am …A TV Licence is not just for watching programmes from the BBC (as I am sure you know):[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/39721273 ][ https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/39722612 ]

I don’t use iplayer or watch live tv full stop. I use Netflix and cinema hd.. i still pay my licence but absolutely no point in my case..
Stopped using live tv nearly a year ago so won’t apply to me. Haven’t missed it one bit.
[My opinion] Worth every penny I reckon.... £3 ish per week. Plenty for me to watch + radio.... bargain
Just popping this here:
39829378-91o7W.jpg
Allsorts212103/02/2020 20:02

Stopped using live tv nearly a year ago so won’t apply to me. Haven’t mis …Stopped using live tv nearly a year ago so won’t apply to me. Haven’t missed it one bit.

Exactly the same here.
Bargainhead03/02/2020 19:16

I don’t use iplayer or watch live tv full stop. I use Netflix and cinema h …I don’t use iplayer or watch live tv full stop. I use Netflix and cinema hd.. i still pay my licence but absolutely no point in my case..

Same, I’m seriously considering cancelling my licence. Of what I understand, aslong as I don’t watch live tv then I don’t one.
INDUSTRYHATER03/02/2020 20:23

Same, I’m seriously considering cancelling my licence. Of what I u …Same, I’m seriously considering cancelling my licence. Of what I understand, aslong as I don’t watch live tv then I don’t one.

*don’t need one! (Edit on iPad app doesn’t work lol)
INDUSTRYHATER03/02/2020 20:23

Same, I’m seriously considering cancelling my licence. Of what I u …Same, I’m seriously considering cancelling my licence. Of what I understand, aslong as I don’t watch live tv then I don’t one.

I was under the impression this was no longer true. Anything on the Iplayer you need a tv licence
Dannyrobbo03/02/2020 20:30

I was under the impression this was no longer true. Anything on the …I was under the impression this was no longer true. Anything on the Iplayer you need a tv licence

It’s my understanding you can no longer watch bbc either live or on iplayer. I removed iplayer but have Netflix and catch up. Suits me fine.
dufflecoat_moon_turkey03/02/2020 19:07

Comment deleted

I really cannot think of anything we watch on the BBC anymore. It used to be good at documentaries & news but docs are no more unless you are into nature (occasional Attenborough) which we are not & also the news is so biased including the Question Time audience selection.

There really is nothing to watch. No sport, no films, bad news, nothing.
Life is so much better without live TV and BBC programming. Apart from the very elderly who don't have the internet i can't understand why anyone still pays the TV Tax. You can get Netflix and Prime for less than the Licence fee.
Azwipe03/02/2020 20:57

Life is so much better without live TV and BBC programming. Apart from the …Life is so much better without live TV and BBC programming. Apart from the very elderly who don't have the internet i can't understand why anyone still pays the TV Tax. You can get Netflix and Prime for less than the Licence fee.

Azwipe03/02/2020 20:57

Life is so much better without live TV and BBC programming. Apart from the …Life is so much better without live TV and BBC programming. Apart from the very elderly who don't have the internet i can't understand why anyone still pays the TV Tax. You can get Netflix and Prime for less than the Licence fee.

I found it weird at first no longer flicking through channels wasting time. HUKD was of more interest. Now more inclined to be selective about what I watch.

Must admit though I miss Graham Norton on a Friday night.
I gave live TV up in 2016. Never missed it. It's a really shame because the BBC was a fantastic service and we have the best TV service in the world.

Lived in a lot of other countries and national TV is generally horrific.
So basically if you don't want a TV licence you can't have cable or Sky as they have BBC on subscription.
You can't have nowtv box , roku stick , Amazon fire ect ect as they have bbc iplayer . You can't have a smart TV as it has BBC I player .
So you need to watch Netflix on a phone or tablet or laptop ?
yozzman123403/02/2020 23:23

So basically if you don't want a TV licence you can't have cable or Sky as …So basically if you don't want a TV licence you can't have cable or Sky as they have BBC on subscription. You can't have nowtv box , roku stick , Amazon fire ect ect as they have bbc iplayer . You can't have a smart TV as it has BBC I player . So you need to watch Netflix on a phone or tablet or laptop ?

No, as long as you don't watch live TV or iplayer, you don't need it. You don't need the licence simply because you have the app installed.
MadeDixonsCry04/02/2020 02:23

No, as long as you don't watch live TV or iplayer, you don't need it. You …No, as long as you don't watch live TV or iplayer, you don't need it. You don't need the licence simply because you have the app installed.

Plus you can just uninstall the app. I did on my NowTV box as soon as the rule came in for iPlayer.
I used to be a big defender of the BBC and the licence fee.

But I hardly ever watch live TV and only occasionally watch a few series on iPlayer.

I think there is still a case for BBC News (and radio) to remain publicly funded though.

Both those on the political right and left don't like it very much, so it must being doing something right.
Mines coming up for renewal in April. Tempted to make an excuse not to pay.
ssc104/02/2020 20:19

Mines coming up for renewal in April. Tempted to make an excuse not to pay.

Now that you need a tv license to watch any live tv in the uk from any broadcaster it’s hard to find an excuse. They should just call it a tax.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 4th Feb
steve.t03/02/2020 20:08

[My opinion] Worth every penny I reckon.... £3 ish per week. Plenty for …[My opinion] Worth every penny I reckon.... £3 ish per week. Plenty for me to watch + radio.... bargain

Well maybe if it's so good they should make it optional and not force people
I wouldn't mind paying if they weren't so profligate with our money. When the Commonwealth Games were held in 2014, they booked the Malmaison - one of the most expensive hotels in Glasgow - all of it. They sent 450+ people to the last Olympics to cover 28 sports. If you were running a business no way would you do that.
Edited by: "Hacked" 8th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants