Tv Licensing!!

Banned
Just a question about Tv licensing (I have a tv license btw). I was just wondering how they are meant to catch offenders who don't pay but still watch, when tv is so widely available on the internet?

The introduction of sky player, itv and bbc allowing live programmes across the internet has meant for easier access. I know it would be easy to catch offenders using a normal tv (presence of aerial out of back of tv), but how do they go about stopping internet users? You don't exactly need an aerial and can easily delete browsing history.

Just a thought.

Thanks
David

15 Comments

you don't need a tv license to watch online tv (unless its live streamed) so 90% of iplayer can be watched without the license

they catch people by going round in vans and using a detector thingy to find tv signals then check the address

or you can report someone

You don't need a license for internet viewing - only for possessing a device able to display a traditional broadcast signal.

Original Poster Banned

I meant just the live programmes such as skysports one/news and bbc one etc.

Original Poster Banned

moob;4394502

You don't need a license for internet viewing - only for possessing a … You don't need a license for internet viewing - only for possessing a device able to display a traditional broadcast signal.

bbc.co.uk/bbc…ve/

"Don't forget - to watch TV online as it's being broadcast, you still need a TV Licence."

hence my post above :lol:

you need a license for LIVE streams ..... not saved content

Answered:-

Do I need a TV Licence?

-
You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

You do not need a TV Licence to view video clips on the internet, as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system, or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

Original Poster Banned

faevilangel;4394539

hence my post above :lol:you need a license for LIVE streams ..... not … hence my post above :lol:you need a license for LIVE streams ..... not saved content

Ah, didnt read the writing in brackets.

Thanks.

maybe ISPs will pass the information on

Original Poster Banned

Point taken, but how are they meant to catch anybody? Their system seems useless. You can even ring them to confirm you don't need a licence.

faevilangel;4394493

you don't need a tv license to watch online tv (unless its live streamed) … you don't need a tv license to watch online tv (unless its live streamed) so 90% of iplayer can be watched without the licensethey catch people by going round in vans and using a detector thingy to find tv signals then check the addressor you can report someone

It's probably worth saying that the signals they pick up are only created by cathode ray tubes, so if they're detected they can be attributed to a computer monitor rather than a TV, and aren't even emitted if you're using an LCD or plasma telly. Although, rumour has it that there are barely any vans, if any at all, in operation. It's all done by comparing addresses that do have a license against those that don't.

people report people & they do random "snooping" on addresses that don't have a license

faevilangel;4394579

people report people & they do random "snooping" on addresses that don't … people report people & they do random "snooping" on addresses that don't have a license

Not without a police search warrant, though.

they can look through your windows *by accident tho*

Original Poster Banned

dxx;4394838

Not without a police search warrant, though.

Exactly, they need to inform you that they're visiting, by which time you can remove aerials and hide them in the loft. Their system is flawed.

faevilangel;4394853

they can look through your windows *by accident tho*

They'll have a hard time using illegally gathered evidence in any official capacity, though. Remember, we have trespass laws in this country that prevent people like them doing things like that.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions