Groups

TV - Need advice! Someone selling me for £150 - samsung ps-42d5s

Hi guys, we'll basically there's this guy my brother knows from work, which is a removal person. He's got this TV he's selling for £150, apparently 2 years used. I was wondering is this a good deal? I don't know much about TV and specs, so would appreciate if someone could assist me with it. I've noticed this TV have been sold on eBay for less than £100 (collection) in the past - (probably been used much longer?). So for £150 should I go for it or not? Thanks

Samsung ps-42d5s

11 Comments

Quite an old plasma, I'd definitely avoid if I were you but that's my opinion. Also only 720p.

Seems overpriced and you'd be better of getting a new TV with 5 years warranty so you have the extra cover and you could get a TV with built-in Freeview HD.

I should also add that it doesn't seem to be 2 years old, this model was available more like 10 years ago!

Edited by: "joshp" 9th Jan 2015

£150 for a pre-owned TV with no warranty? Nope. What happens when something goes wrong with it a week after youve bought it?

I'd offer him £10

To give you an idea, I paid £149 for this 39" full HD set which came with a 5 year guarantee so you want to be paying much nearer the £100 mark or less for something like that.

hotukdeals.com/dea…237

These are quite old TV's now, built in around 2008 - they're actually not a bad TV and give a decent picture, but £150 is just too much.

When you say removals person, he didn't remove the tv from someones house at four o'clock in the morning, whilst they were sleeping did he?

how do you know its not been used much?.....if I sell my bed should I ask more cause I sometimes fall asleep on the couch !

Original Poster

joshp

Quite an old plasma, I'd definitely avoid if I were you but that's my … Quite an old plasma, I'd definitely avoid if I were you but that's my opinion. Also only 720p.Seems overpriced and you'd be better of getting a new TV with 5 years warranty so you have the extra cover and you could get a TV with built-in Freeview HD.I should also add that it doesn't seem to be 2 years old, this model was available more like 10 years ago!

stuarthanley

£150 for a pre-owned TV with no warranty? Nope. What happens when … £150 for a pre-owned TV with no warranty? Nope. What happens when something goes wrong with it a week after youve bought it?

borito

I'd offer him £10

bobdylan

To give you an idea, I paid £149 for this 39" full HD set which came with … To give you an idea, I paid £149 for this 39" full HD set which came with a 5 year guarantee so you want to be paying much nearer the £100 mark or less for something like that.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/technika-39e21b-fhd-39-inch-full-hd-1080p-slim-led-tv-with-freeview-149-delivered-2097237#post23981908

andymagic

These are quite old TV's now, built in around 2008 - they're actually not … These are quite old TV's now, built in around 2008 - they're actually not a bad TV and give a decent picture, but £150 is just too much.

Dyslexic_Dog

When you say removals person, he didn't remove the tv from someones house … When you say removals person, he didn't remove the tv from someones house at four o'clock in the morning, whilst they were sleeping did he?

theshepherd83

how do you know its not been used much?.....if I sell my bed should I ask … how do you know its not been used much?.....if I sell my bed should I ask more cause I sometimes fall asleep on the couch !

Thanks guys, the guy just dumped the TV at mine yesterday without me knowing the model of it prior; was lucky enough that he didn't demand the money straight away, and said we could trial it and make our minds up - probably will come back for it today. Once he left I did a quick brief background check glimpsing at the specs online, and wasn't one bit impressed personally, seemed more of a lower end TV, even if it was Plasma and Samsung branded.
    Though I don’t know a great deal on TV’s and specs, I often do keep up-to-date with what’s getting posted on here and occasionally read up on the debates that goes off, so based off my intuitive on those factors it did seem clear indicator that this was garbage. Afterwards I thought let’s quickly see roughly how much this has sold for, again was left disappointed. Was in rush at the time, so decided to post on here to get some reassurance from the community to read later when I get back, which I got. In the evening tried turning it on to experience the quality, without surprise it was terrible.

So thank you everyone :), saved me from making a bad decision.

EDIT:
    Also to add, behind the TV it said it was manufactured in 2006, does this mean it was bought at that date also? So definitely decades old, but apparently only 2 years used? Lol, sureeeee.

Edited by: "MRR_ltd" 10th Jan 2015

joshp

Quite an old plasma, I'd definitely avoid if I were you but that's my … Quite an old plasma, I'd definitely avoid if I were you but that's my opinion. Also only 720p.Seems overpriced and you'd be better of getting a new TV with 5 years warranty so you have the extra cover and you could get a TV with built-in Freeview HD.I should also add that it doesn't seem to be 2 years old, this model was available more like 10 years ago!

stuarthanley

£150 for a pre-owned TV with no warranty? Nope. What happens when … £150 for a pre-owned TV with no warranty? Nope. What happens when something goes wrong with it a week after youve bought it?

borito

I'd offer him £10

bobdylan

To give you an idea, I paid £149 for this 39" full HD set which came … To give you an idea, I paid £149 for this 39" full HD set which came with a 5 year guarantee so you want to be paying much nearer the £100 mark or less for something like that.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/technika-39e21b-fhd-39-inch-full-hd-1080p-slim-led-tv-with-freeview-149-delivered-2097237#post23981908

andymagic

These are quite old TV's now, built in around 2008 - they're actually … These are quite old TV's now, built in around 2008 - they're actually not a bad TV and give a decent picture, but £150 is just too much.

Dyslexic_Dog

When you say removals person, he didn't remove the tv from someones … When you say removals person, he didn't remove the tv from someones house at four o'clock in the morning, whilst they were sleeping did he?

theshepherd83

how do you know its not been used much?.....if I sell my bed should I … how do you know its not been used much?.....if I sell my bed should I ask more cause I sometimes fall asleep on the couch !

I did say about 10 years old, which explains the poor spec lol

Yeah, good choice to avoid, it was a terrible deal!
    Edited by: "joshp" 10th Jan 2015

Original Poster

joshp

stuarthanley

borito

I'd offer him £10

bobdylan

To give you an idea, I paid £149 for this 39" full HD set which came … To give you an idea, I paid £149 for this 39" full HD set which came with a 5 year guarantee so you want to be paying much nearer the £100 mark or less for something like that.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/technika-39e21b-fhd-39-inch-full-hd-1080p-slim-led-tv-with-freeview-149-delivered-2097237#post23981908

andymagic

These are quite old TV's now, built in around 2008 - they're actually … These are quite old TV's now, built in around 2008 - they're actually not a bad TV and give a decent picture, but £150 is just too much.

Dyslexic_Dog

When you say removals person, he didn't remove the tv from someones … When you say removals person, he didn't remove the tv from someones house at four o'clock in the morning, whilst they were sleeping did he?

theshepherd83

how do you know its not been used much?.....if I sell my bed should I … how do you know its not been used much?.....if I sell my bed should I ask more cause I sometimes fall asleep on the couch !

Haha yeah spot on Thanks

Original Poster

joshp

stuarthanley

borito

I'd offer him £10

bobdylan

andymagic

Dyslexic_Dog

theshepherd83

I agree with the rest of the points you made, the fact it's only 720p, no warranty/built-in Freeview HD, and to top it off USED!

Plasma's getting discontinued if I'm not mistaken; the other day this TV - Panasonic TX-P50X60B 50 Inch HD Ready 720p Plasma TV With Freeview HD was being sold on the Tesco's site for £224, brand new, included 5 years warranty + free shipping. Gutted I didn't have enough money on my card to have placed the order through that day lol, oh well.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553765
      2. Royal Mil track and trace45
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423714463
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767185

See more discussions