Expired

TV points on new house

Found 22nd Nov 2014
I'm moving into a new build house on Friday. I went round the other day and noticed that the tv point provided is just a single aerial point.

I'm having Sky fitted so I'm guess the only option is for Sky to fix the dish to the wall, run cable down the wall and drill through the wall?

my next question is that the TV point is actually in a really stupid place. If I wanted to add another TV point on an opposing wall how hard is this to do? the house is timber framed so can I just run cable between the wall space from the loft or is there no access to the wall space because of insulation etc?

any experts out there able to help?

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I'd probably get Sky or Virgin instead of an aerial socket as I think terrestrial broadcasting is a poor way of getting television. I used to get an amazing signal until they cut about 40 meters off the local transmitter.

As for moving the aerial socket you're better off asking the guys that built it about how your walls are constructed. Is it plaster board or straw walls ? If it's dabbed on plaster then you can drop a cable between, if it's a stud wall then you're going to have to cut a channel for the cable because of the studs. Easy way would be to run it around the skirting board from the original socket or under the carpet between the underlay.

dcx_badass

I think paying £20-60 extra for a few more channels that still have … I think paying £20-60 extra for a few more channels that still have adverts is a poor way of getting television...

Agreed;

Indeed, most viewing is watching stuff on Freeview anyway, so why pay?
dcx_badass

I think paying £20-60 extra for a few more channels that still have … I think paying £20-60 extra for a few more channels that still have adverts is a poor way of getting television...

Freesat for you then
Anyway Tv is free with virgin on most packages. It's the line rental that I find a killer.
Some new builds have it in the contract that you can't have any satellite dishes up for 5 years. Because they look common and put other buyers off. Why not just get decent internet and use that. Watch catch-up and save on a licence fee.
As a new build, you would have been given options for upgrades, including extra sockets and tv aerial, should have had it done then
We've just bought a new build, yes you get options to choose but a lot of the time you don't even realise what's possible or what you want where until it's too late.

I'm guessing it's plasterboard which is dot and dabbed on. In reality only real way as keister said, you'll need to cut a Chanel in the board. We've also found the hard way they plaster around all the sockets etc now to make it more airtight to meet the insulation regs these days.

Get friendly with the site manager as they'll usually set you up with the trades on site for a quick cheap cash in hand private job.
Thanks for the answers. I'll chat to the site manager and see what he suggests.

As for having the option for upgrades we weren't given the option because it was already stood when we reserved. Not that I would have wanted to pay whatever crazy price they came up with!!
g8spur

As for having the option for upgrades we weren't given the option because … As for having the option for upgrades we weren't given the option because it was already stood when we reserved. Not that I would have wanted to pay whatever crazy price they came up with!!

Fair enough, we were in a similar position, only given 1 week to choose all kitchen and bathroom options. Done a lot of work since we've moved in, a lot cheaper. Just saved £1.5k tiling the main bathroom and adding a shower mixer tap myself rather than Taylor Wimpey doing it.
paul1005

Fair enough, we were in a similar position, only given 1 week to choose … Fair enough, we were in a similar position, only given 1 week to choose all kitchen and bathroom options. Done a lot of work since we've moved in, a lot cheaper. Just saved £1.5k tiling the main bathroom and adding a shower mixer tap myself rather than Taylor Wimpey doing it.

The mark up is incredible. They wanted £795 for an integrated dishwasher!!
the way I would do it to minimalise the damage and hassle would be to drop the cable down through the crawl space under your floor boards if you have a wooden floor and use a fish hook to pull it up behind the plaster boards to the place you want it.

doing it this way would save a fortune and its the method I use as a contractor .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants