TV purchased from Tesco eBay outlet has developed a fault outside of the 30day window

Found 3rd Apr
I purchased a TV from Tesco eBay outlet that was brand new after Christmas. It has developed a fault where the TV switches itself on and off randomly. I've requested to return this for a refund and I've been told that I am responsible for the cost of returning the item. Can anyone state if this is correct? I understand the fault is not within 30 days however as the item is faulty I do not feel that I should be responsible for this cost. Given its probably going to be 25% of what I paid for the TV.
Thanks.
Community Updates
17 Comments
Check your terms and conditions from when you bought it. If that's what you agreed to then you will have to pay. If its not in the T&C's then tell them this and see if they cave in. If they don't, then you go the Consumer rights route. That's why its sometimes better to go to a high street retailer rather than an online discount store for large items. Good luck.
Edited by: "mrty" 3rd Apr
Is the TV brand new with it’s warranty details inside the box
In reality it's no different to buying something in a shop. If it breaks you return it to the shop. If you purchase something online and it breaks, you return it. Obviously there is room for negotiation regarding the time frame you've had it but after 30 days I'd say it falls on you really.
Are PayPal not still doing “returns on us” ?
UPDATE

Google - what are my rights when buying second hand goods

To quote from the Which article on buying a camera; "You'll also be covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which states that goods must be as described, fit for purpose and of a satisfactory quality." which.co.uk/con…und

Your TV is not 'fit for purpose' or of 'satisfactory quality'.

If it was over £100 and you paid on credit card, S75 rules apply (google it) and make the Credit Card company jointly liable. Demand they refund your money

Check MSE. You bought from a UK retailer as a consumer so I reckon you may have a right to expect a good that is Durable. Certainly one that lasts longer than 3 months.

Use Twitter/FB/Trustpilot/Social Media etc to ACCURATELY. HONESTLY catalogue the service Tesco has delivered. Firm but polite there may get noticed.
Edited by: "ccnp" 3rd Apr
If you bought it in a shop you would be expected to take it in store, you can't ring them and expect them to come to you, buying online is the same, you'll have to return it so they can inspect it.

The good news is that as it's less that 6 months old, it's down to Tesco to prove it wasn't faulty when you bought it, you don't have to prove anything.
ccnp3 h, 14 m ago

UPDATEGoogle - what are my rights when buying second hand goodsTo quote …UPDATEGoogle - what are my rights when buying second hand goodsTo quote from the Which article on buying a camera; "You'll also be covered by the Consumer Rights Act, which states that goods must be as described, fit for purpose and of a satisfactory quality." https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand-camera-i-bought-is-broken-can-i-get-a-refund Your TV is not 'fit for purpose' or of 'satisfactory quality'.If it was over £100 and you paid on credit card, S75 rules apply (google it) and make the Credit Card company jointly liable. Demand they refund your moneyCheck MSE. You bought from a UK retailer as a consumer so I reckon you may have a right to expect a good that is Durable. Certainly one that lasts longer than 3 months.Use Twitter/FB/Trustpilot/Social Media etc to ACCURATELY. HONESTLY catalogue the service Tesco has delivered. Firm but polite there may get noticed.

Your credit card company won't just take on all responsibility. They'll ask you to prove that you've exhausted all contact options with the retailer and that they aren't offering any reasonable solution. A credit card company would see the store offering to accept the faulty goods back in return for an exchange/refund as long as the buyer returns them as a reasonable solution.
Read the description again. Normally Tesco offer a 12 month warranty/gurantee with products even refurbished/used etc.
Not sure why people are banging on about the warranty. That isn't the OP's issue. He asked 'I've requested to return this for a refund and I've been told that I am responsible for the cost of returning the item. Can anyone state if this is correct?'

Have you asked about returning it to a store?
stores.ebay.co.uk/Tes…tml

>>As Tesco stores do not sell the same product range as Tesco Outlet, items purchased from Tesco Outlet cannot be returned in our stores.<< For members who are telling OP to return to store.

Your answer is there! Your item is under a 12 month warranty

1. Have asked to arrange a repair? Or replacement?
2. Unfortunately it states you are responsible to cover the shipping cost, There is nothing your bank/credit card/paypal can do as other members have said.

The fault has developed after 30 days but within 12 months of delivery.From 30 days after receipt of the goods until 12 months, we will arrange for a repair or replacement of the goods and, if this does not work, a refund. Once the item is returned to us and sent to our technicians, if a repair is not possible, we will offer either a refund, or a replacement product (stock permitting). The Buyer is responsible for return shipping costs and insurance. The 12 month warranty starts from the date of the original purchase.

If a product is returned as faulty but not found to have a manufacturing fault or if a fault has developed as a result of misuse, no product or postage costs will be refunded.

Where possible, damage in transit should be notified within 48 hours of receipt of the goods, by contacting the customer service helpline on 01792 452660 or contacting us via my eBay. We reserve the right to send out an engineer or technician to inspect the goods to confirm the fault before accepting the return.

Items returned to us via collection or pre-paid label will take 48 hours to be delivered back to us for assessment. Please note that it can take 3-5 days for any refund given to be shown in your PayPal account.
Thanks to all who have responded. As the TV cost £150 I do not consider it to be financially sensible to spend £30 on returning it given that it is an intermittent fault. I've asked Tesco for another solution to see if there's any compromise they can make.
As was stated in a previous post....

If a product is returned as faulty but not found to have a manufacturing fault or if a fault has developed as a result of misuse, no product or postage costs will be refunded.

So it looks like they will refund postage if they find the fault.....
Shevchenko19 h, 56 m ago

Your credit card company won't just take on all responsibility. They'll …Your credit card company won't just take on all responsibility. They'll ask you to prove that you've exhausted all contact options with the retailer and that they aren't offering any reasonable solution. A credit card company would see the store offering to accept the faulty goods back in return for an exchange/refund as long as the buyer returns them as a reasonable solution.

2 different issues here.

It's not a question of what they choose to do. You are holding them equally liable. S75 of the 74 Act. Applying pressure to them applies pressure to the retailer. Yes, they will try to fob you off but once you inform them they are jointly liable, they go back to the retailer and pressure them

+ my orginal post that the goods must be fit for purpose. Its very straight forward consumer law.
Edited by: "ccnp" 4th Apr
Its £150. Reason why its developed a fault. Is this tesco tecnica tv ?
chrismc2005030 m ago

Its £150. Reason why its developed a fault. Is this tesco tecnica tv ?

Yes it is. The price doesn't mean that it shouldn't be fit for purpose.
I got this from google. According to which, you are not responsible.

which.co.uk/con…tem
Pay for what you get...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions