Tv repairs please help :(

Posted 31st Oct 2018
Hello guys I have a 58 inch Panasonic tv serial number is TX58DX750B my child has thrown a toy at it and now it’s not working I would highly appreciate it if you can post links for a new screen or point me in the right place to take it to get fixed
Thank you in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

31 Comments
deleted1471098
I would suggest claiming from your home insurance or contact a local tv repair company which will cost you more than the excess to repair (see yellow pages).
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 31st Oct 2018
If screen damage you better buy a new TV as it would cost more to repair
Sell your old one for parts only depending how old it is. Meanwhile look around for deals or have a look at web for local second hand until you can afford a new one. Other road is home insurance cover get them to sort it.
This sucks the tv cost £1299 2 years ago still have 4 years warranty but does not cover accidental damage 😔
joe.bloggsxHU9 m ago

This sucks the tv cost £1299 2 years ago still have 4 years warranty but …This sucks the tv cost £1299 2 years ago still have 4 years warranty but does not cover accidental damage 😔

As already mentioned check your home insurance, it may be covered.
Can not claim on home insurance mum won’t let me says the insurance would go up
joe.bloggsxHU1 h, 7 m ago

Can not claim on home insurance mum won’t let me says the insurance would g …Can not claim on home insurance mum won’t let me says the insurance would go up

What's the point of taking insurance then? Just buy a new 58" TV then
I assume you’ve checked that no wires at the back have come loose? And switched it offand on at the plug socket?
Toptrumpet24 m ago

I assume you’ve checked that no wires at the back have come loose? And s …I assume you’ve checked that no wires at the back have come loose? And switched it offand on at the plug socket?

I’m about to put a hammer through the flipping thing fml
deleted1080215
joe.bloggsxHU2 h, 7 m ago

Can not claim on home insurance mum won’t let me says the insurance would g …Can not claim on home insurance mum won’t let me says the insurance would go up

Offer to pay her the difference if it does go up.
Hi joe.bloggsxHU. Sorry to hear of your woes. The dangers of owning a big, expensive TV sadly. Accidents do happen. I'm not being judgemental here - just trying to get a picture of the situation. Are you a parent living at your parents home? It's just you mention your Mother won't LET you claim on insurance. Does this mean SHE pays your insurance for you or is the TV hers in HER home and your child has broken it? Or, is the TV yours in your Mum's home?

Also, what has actually happened? Has the screen broken? I'm assuming so. Sadly; as others have mentioned; replacing the screen is probably the most expensive option. Internal components can be picked up and replaced but the screen is the biggest bit! Just an observation but the number you mention in your post is the MODEL number - not the serial number - just in case you decide to call anyone to get a repair. Looking on Ebay, I can only see one TV and that's £600 used! You could search for a used/dead TV being sold for spares (but with a good screen) and use it to swap into yours but that's a real long shot!

May I suggest the insurance option again but with a caveat. If it is at your Mothers expense, how about offering to pay the excess AND any difference in the increased policy cost at renewal? That's if the policy includes accidental cover, of course. This will ABSOLUTELY be cheaper than paying for a repair so more cost effective for you and your Mum is not out of pocket either. Worth considering?

It would certainly be no waste of time giving Panasonic a call seeing as the TV is still new(ish) with warranty. You never know what they might offer. Problem arises with getting the TV to them (or a repair centre) as I'm not sure they'd send anyone to you. This all adds extra time/cost/money to you so again, might not be worth it. It's certainly a dilemma, isn't it?

Kindest regards,

Phsy.
joe.bloggsxHU2 h, 10 m ago

We had a fairly large claim on our house insurance due to a fire quite some years ago, then several years later, a much smaller one due to a burst ballcock fitting flooding the loft and bringing down the ceiling (computer, tv, video etc). Didn't have any noticeable effect on our premiums, I was expecting them to rocket after the fire.

If your policy covers it (think you might need accidental damage cover, which is often an optional extra on contents), why don't you try to find out the likely effect on a typical premium is and offer to pay for the uplift for the next few years, as it should be less than a reconditioned large screen TV.
Phsycronix31/10/2018 10:24

Hi joe.bloggsxHU. Sorry to hear of your woes. The dangers of owning a big, …Hi joe.bloggsxHU. Sorry to hear of your woes. The dangers of owning a big, expensive TV sadly. Accidents do happen. I'm not being judgemental here - just trying to get a picture of the situation. Are you a parent living at your parents home? It's just you mention your Mother won't LET you claim on insurance. Does this mean SHE pays your insurance for you or is the TV hers in HER home and your child has broken it? Or, is the TV yours in your Mum's home?Also, what has actually happened? Has the screen broken? I'm assuming so. Sadly; as others have mentioned; replacing the screen is probably the most expensive option. Internal components can be picked up and replaced but the screen is the biggest bit! Just an observation but the number you mention in your post is the MODEL number - not the serial number - just in case you decide to call anyone to get a repair. Looking on Ebay, I can only see one TV and that's £600 used! You could search for a used/dead TV being sold for spares (but with a good screen) and use it to swap into yours but that's a real long shot!May I suggest the insurance option again but with a caveat. If it is at your Mothers expense, how about offering to pay the excess AND any difference in the increased policy cost at renewal? That's if the policy includes accidental cover, of course. This will ABSOLUTELY be cheaper than paying for a repair so more cost effective for you and your Mum is not out of pocket either. Worth considering?It would certainly be no waste of time giving Panasonic a call seeing as the TV is still new(ish) with warranty. You never know what they might offer. Problem arises with getting the TV to them (or a repair centre) as I'm not sure they'd send anyone to you. This all adds extra time/cost/money to you so again, might not be worth it. It's certainly a dilemma, isn't it?Kindest regards,Phsy.

I appreciate your long reply lol I rent a room off my mum mate I work a lot. And of course I’d pay the extra on the insurance iv even offered to pay her insurance for her but it’s the fact it’s in her name she’s worried she don’t like doing stuff like that the tv is mine I brought the tv like this and got given the receipt was looking to get it fixed and have a bargain I looked on the Panasonic site and spoke to their people who supplies and fits their parts said would be just over a grand for the parts and £181 labour sucks because I thought I’d get it fixed for a couple 100 and have a decent tv lol
joe.bloggsxHU31/10/2018 10:48

I appreciate your long reply lol I rent a room off my mum mate I work a …I appreciate your long reply lol I rent a room off my mum mate I work a lot. And of course I’d pay the extra on the insurance iv even offered to pay her insurance for her but it’s the fact it’s in her name she’s worried she don’t like doing stuff like that the tv is mine I brought the tv like this and got given the receipt was looking to get it fixed and have a bargain I looked on the Panasonic site and spoke to their people who supplies and fits their parts said would be just over a grand for the parts and £181 labour sucks because I thought I’d get it fixed for a couple 100 and have a decent tv lol

Hmmm, now you've really confused me! Lol. So, you bought the TV - already broken??? Who did you buy it from? Private seller (Gumtree/Ebay etc) or a family member? You said it cost £1300 but what did YOU pay for it in it's broken state?

Did you seriously think you would get a 58" TV fixed for a couple of hundred quid? Now THAT is what I call a long shot...

Now, in all fairness if you were to claim on insurance, that would be classed as fraud. Therefore, I can understand your Mothers hesitation. I get the impression this particular rabbit-hole goes deeper. Hehe.
Phsycronix31/10/2018 10:57

Hmmm, now you've really confused me! Lol. So, you bought the TV - already …Hmmm, now you've really confused me! Lol. So, you bought the TV - already broken??? Who did you buy it from? Private seller (Gumtree/Ebay etc) or a family member? You said it cost £1300 but what did YOU pay for it in it's broken state?Did you seriously think you would get a 58" TV fixed for a couple of hundred quid? Now THAT is what I call a long shot...Now, in all fairness if you were to claim on insurance, that would be classed as fraud. Therefore, I can understand your Mothers hesitation. I get the impression this particular rabbit-hole goes deeper. Hehe.

I did say it cost £1300 but don’t think I said I paid that straight up mate I brought it like it for £40 the woman said her kid threw a toy at it and I could see the back light so just assumed it would want a new screen I was stupid by not looking up how much a screen was but took the punt for £40 I don’t see how it would be fraud tho I brought it second hand but ovo would say it was working when I brought it small white lie 😜
Phsycronix31/10/2018 10:57

Hmmm, now you've really confused me! Lol. So, you bought the TV - already …Hmmm, now you've really confused me! Lol. So, you bought the TV - already broken??? Who did you buy it from? Private seller (Gumtree/Ebay etc) or a family member? You said it cost £1300 but what did YOU pay for it in it's broken state?Did you seriously think you would get a 58" TV fixed for a couple of hundred quid? Now THAT is what I call a long shot...Now, in all fairness if you were to claim on insurance, that would be classed as fraud. Therefore, I can understand your Mothers hesitation. I get the impression this particular rabbit-hole goes deeper. Hehe.

Probably best all round to try and sell it on as spares or repair and try and make a small profit.
joe.bloggsxHU15 m ago

I did say it cost £1300 but don’t think I said I paid that straight up ma …I did say it cost £1300 but don’t think I said I paid that straight up mate I brought it like it for £40 the woman said her kid threw a toy at it and I could see the back light so just assumed it would want a new screen I was stupid by not looking up how much a screen was but took the punt for £40 I don’t see how it would be fraud tho I brought it second hand but ovo would say it was working when I brought it small white lie 😜

Ok. So in your original post you said "My child has thrown a toy at it." So, not YOUR child? Not that it's important but your story has gone from one extreme to another! As I said, I'm not being judgemental. I just sometimes wonder why stories get 'invented' when there's no need. You could have simply asked - "I bought a £1300 broken TV for £40 with a duff screen. Can I get it fixed on the cheap?" Answers would've still been the same though...

So to recap:

You live with your Mum in a rented room.
You don't have a child that damaged the TV.
You didn't pay £1300 for the TV two years ago.
You DID pay £40 for it off another person - who's child damaged the TV.
It WOULD be fraudulent to try and claim on the insurance.
I hate to be a grammar Nazi (I'm not perfect) but it's "Bought" - not Brought. Just for the record! Sorry.

Your best option really is to keep an eye on Ebay/Gumtree etc. for someone who is selling a defunct TV cheap as spares/repairs. Bang the screen into yours and hopefully you'll get the bargain you wanted originally.

Regards, Phsy.
Lol yeah didn’t want to sound cheap so just said what was told to me and will keep an eye out most probably end up on eBay or I’ll leave it in the garden for someone to take
joe.bloggsxHU1 h, 8 m ago

I appreciate your long reply lol I rent a room off my mum mate I work a …I appreciate your long reply lol I rent a room off my mum mate I work a lot. And of course I’d pay the extra on the insurance iv even offered to pay her insurance for her but it’s the fact it’s in her name she’s worried she don’t like doing stuff like that the tv is mine I brought the tv like this and got given the receipt was looking to get it fixed and have a bargain I looked on the Panasonic site and spoke to their people who supplies and fits their parts said would be just over a grand for the parts and £181 labour sucks because I thought I’d get it fixed for a couple 100 and have a decent tv lol

Is there a current shortage of punctuation available?
joe.bloggsxHU31/10/2018 08:14

I would hope the real reason she won't let you is it would be insurance fraud. Plus there's a good chance of getting caught and maybe even prosecuted.
joe.bloggsxHU31/10/2018 11:06

I did say it cost £1300 but don’t think I said I paid that straight up ma …I did say it cost £1300 but don’t think I said I paid that straight up mate I brought it like it for £40 the woman said her kid threw a toy at it and I could see the back light so just assumed it would want a new screen I was stupid by not looking up how much a screen was but took the punt for £40 I don’t see how it would be fraud tho I brought it second hand but ovo would say it was working when I brought it small white lie 😜

WTF! of course its insurance fraud! No wonder your mum wont claim. Probably has a better moral compass than you.
Edited by: "chocci" 31st Oct 2018
Now we know it is only worth £40 to you, you might get some more helpful suggestions, such as checking if there is any visible damage to the screen, such as a crack. If there is damage look on ebay to see what you could sell if for as spare parts, and if no damage is visible, doing some research online to try to find out if there are any internal connectors that might come loose if the TV is knocked, and opening it up and checking them - must have been unplugged from the mains for at least half an hour for internal capacitors to discharge, and its a bit of a long shot anyway.
Edited by: "melted" 31st Oct 2018
chocci15 m ago

WTF! of course its insurance fraud! No wonder your mum wont claim. …WTF! of course its insurance fraud! No wonder your mum wont claim. Probably has a better moral compass than you.

✊✊
melted31/10/2018 12:08

Now we know it is only worth £40 to you, you might get some more helpful …Now we know it is only worth £40 to you, you might get some more helpful suggestions, such as checking if there is any visible damage to the screen, such as a crack. If there is damage look on ebay to see what you could sell if for as spare parts, and if no damage is visible, doing some research online to try to find out if there are any internal connectors that might come loose if the TV is knocked, and opening it up and checking them - must have been unplugged from the mains for at least half an hour for internal capacitors to discharge, and its a bit of a long shot anyway.

Thanks mate I’m most probably going to bang it on eBay as it is cba to fiddle with it knowing me I’ll break something lol
joe.bloggsxHU31/10/2018 12:20

Thanks mate I’m most probably going to bang it on eBay as it is cba to f …Thanks mate I’m most probably going to bang it on eBay as it is cba to fiddle with it knowing me I’ll break something lol

If you know what your doing you can buy a 2nds screen for next to nothing as they don't scrap all the screens with defects and a few dead pixels isn't really an issue but unforgivable if paying full price.
Edited by: "kester76" 31st Oct 2018
kester7631/10/2018 14:34

If you know what your doing you can buy a 2nds screen for next to nothing …If you know what your doing you can buy a 2nds screen for next to nothing as they don't scrap all the screens with defects and a few dead pixels isn't really an issue but unforgivable if paying full price.

Where can I buy a second hand one I can not find any mate
If you claim once, will that not trigger in increase in premium year on year as you would need to declare any claims within 5 years. So basically you'll need to pay the difference after you find out the premium would have been with the claim.
joe.bloggsxHU31/10/2018 17:35

Where can I buy a second hand one I can not find any mate

1st things 1st are you sure the TV Panel is damaged as it could easily be the power, control, Main AV board that is faulty. What are the actual symptoms ?
kester7631/10/2018 21:08

1st things 1st are you sure the TV Panel is damaged as it could easily be …1st things 1st are you sure the TV Panel is damaged as it could easily be the power, control, Main AV board that is faulty. What are the actual symptoms ?

Iv added a photo to the listing look at the top mate
joe.bloggsxHU8 m ago

Iv added a photo to the listing look at the top mate

Sorry I can't see it in the android app but it keeps deleting this thread as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants