TV Streaming - help needed for complete novice

Found 23rd Mar
Here goes
We are currently with Sky (until Aug and then may possibly leave as tired of having to renegotiate every year). We have 1 sky box and don't want anymore.

We are setting up a tv for our children to watch their own programs/play xbox etc. The channel they love to watch is Nickelodeon (and they currently record lots of programs from it).

What is the best way for setting up the tv to allow them to watch and record (or watch on demand) Nickelodeon programs? I have seen streaming devices like Roku sticks, Now TV boxes/sticks and Amazon Fire (no idea what netflix is but that is another question), but none seem to allow recordings. Is that right?

We would appreciate any help/advice because we just can't make sense of it at the moment. (after years of freeview boxes/sky, I can't get my head round how it all works). Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Now tv kids would have it, £3 a month. You can use a streaming box the now tv ones tend to come with 3 months free but are locked down heavily. You could buy something android based if they support it. Or best bet is roku because that does support now tv
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 23rd Mar
Dannyrobbo1 h, 0 m ago

Now tv kids would have it, £3 a month. You can use a streaming box the now …Now tv kids would have it, £3 a month. You can use a streaming box the now tv ones tend to come with 3 months free but are locked down heavily. You could buy something android based if they support it. Or best bet is roku because that does support now tv

Thanks for replying. Is there any device that would allow us to also record the channels, apart from a Sky box, (I am guessing the streaming gives you access to the live channels only but no facility to record). Or are programs available on demand as well?
Streaming is generally on demand only rather than live channels, although some broadcasters' apps do offer the scheduled TV channel too, where it exists.

There are some that offer to let you download the program for later watching, but it's generally time limited and I'm not aware of anything yet that's offering recording functionality.
Could try youview, from plusnet. A contract again I'm afraid though. If you leaving sky in August you could get a decent deal on fibre, TV and phone.
Edited by: "mrty" 23rd Mar
From april, now tv kids pass price will increase from £2.99 to £3.99 per month. When this change is made you can download the content on to a phone/tablet to watch offline, this will be great for long car journeys , waiting rooms etc.
magpieno123rd Mar

Thanks for replying. Is there any device that would allow us to also …Thanks for replying. Is there any device that would allow us to also record the channels, apart from a Sky box, (I am guessing the streaming gives you access to the live channels only but no facility to record). Or are programs available on demand as well?

The now tv has no facility to record but does have on demand and the live kids channels 6 of them.

Take a look at this link
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants