Tv Surround sound advice

Found 23rd Jul
I had a dvd home 5.1 cinema/dvd and the player died. I now have a wired set of 3 ohm speakers that are useless. What I'm thinking is to buy a set of 5.1 speakers and run off the TV jack which will only be in stereo 2.1. Then problem is I can't find any that are wall mounted so I may have to make a screw hole in the speakers? Or I could buy a phono connected set of speakers then buy a optical to phono converter from ebay China and use that to get the sound from TV to speakers. Can't wait find much information on net to help. Anyone one done similar. Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronicsTV
5 Comments
By the time you have some decent speakers and mess about with them wall mounting etc, whu not just go for someting like this , good out of the box

richersounds.com/tv-…tml
Baldy19724 m ago

By the time you have some decent speakers and mess about with them wall …By the time you have some decent speakers and mess about with them wall mounting etc, whu not just go for someting like this , good out of the box https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems/yamaha-yht1840.html

Yeah. That will work. Probably better than my plan although a little more money but worth paying the extra. Been looking at av receivers but they go for £100+ on ebay. Then I need speakers and a dvd. Might as well buy new at that price.
Just wire two of the 3 ohm speakers in series and your have 6 ohms speakers so still useful as surround satellites
If you're only playing DVDs and are happy with the sound I'd just buy another DVD 5.1 surround system as they're dirty cheap 2nd hand.

One here currently going at £26
ebay.co.uk/itm…MMU
kester768 m ago

Just wire two of the 3 ohm speakers in series and your have 6 ohms …Just wire two of the 3 ohm speakers in series and your have 6 ohms speakers so still useful as surround satellites :)If you're only playing DVDs and are happy with the sound I'd just buy another DVD 5.1 surround system as they're dirty cheap 2nd hand.One here currently going at £26 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-AV-Home-Cinema-Amplifier-DVD-DAV-S300-HCD-S300-5-1-Surround-Sound/132705816002?hash=item1ee5e20dc2:g:Mi4AAOSwO4NbTMMU

It's silver so will look naff at our place. Seen a few silver ones for sale on ebay but not keen on second hand electrical as they are near end of life I find. 2 x 3 ohm speakers = 1.5 ohms I thought
Edited by: "wayners" 23rd Jul
wayners25 m ago

It's silver so will look naff at our place. Seen a few silver ones for …It's silver so will look naff at our place. Seen a few silver ones for sale on ebay but not keen on second hand electrical as they are near end of life I find. 2 x 3 ohm speakers = 1.5 ohms I thought

Pretty much all dvd stuff is dead and buried now with standard Bluray being the lowest tier. It's a tough one as 2nd hand is where it's at.
If it was me I would buy this
ebay.co.uk/itm…woZ

As long as the HDMI ports are all functioning then you're good as that's the main weak spot on AVRs. Unfortunately speakers are a bit more expensive but you can buy them cheap on gumtree and get foam rot kits to refurb high end speakers at a cheap price.

Most large speakers don't get that much action as they're too loud, only issue is when someone overdrives their amp.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants