Groups

TV techie help needed

I purchased this TV last month, mostly with the intention of using it for gaming.

richersounds.com/pro…350

However, with the world cup upcoming, I may need to use it for watching bbc etc. The spec of the TV states that it receives freeview. Sorry for being thick but does this mean it has an in built tuner or do I need some sort of freeview box etc. I do not have a TV ariel or anything like that in the room where the TV is. I have just done a quick channel search and nothing came up.

I have a PS3 and was thinking I could get that Sony Play TV that is on offer and use that to receive the channels. But will I need a TV ariel for this?

Sorry for being thick but I dont often have to look into thee things. Any help would be much appreciated, heat and rep will be left

10 Comments

TV aerial needed - depending on signal strength you may be able to get an indoor one with an amplifier. Bout £20 fro argos/wilkos etc

Banned

just buy an aerial extension lead from argos

Original Poster

csiman;8701927

just buy an aerial extension lead from argos

The TV is in my room which is miles away from the ariel which is downstairs, theres no way my mum will let me run a cable round the house cos it will look terrible

Original Poster

lanc_red;8701916

TV aerial needed - depending on signal strength you may be able to get an … TV aerial needed - depending on signal strength you may be able to get an indoor one with an amplifier. Bout £20 fro argos/wilkos etc

I think we live in an area with a good signal strength.

Any links for an indoor?

The aeriel will be in the loft or on the roof, split it where it comes into the house and then run one to your bedroom.

Original Poster

greg_68;8701974

The aeriel will be in the loft or on the roof, split it where it comes … The aeriel will be in the loft or on the roof, split it where it comes into the house and then run one to your bedroom.

it comes into the house on the other side of the building so theres no way I can split it and run it to my bedroom without having a long cable extension running through the house, which my parents wont like at all

Or........................ if there is another tv in the house,buy a video sender which will send the signal to your TV about £20 to buy ,but will only send signal being viewed on the original tv i.e. if the telly or freeview box or sky box in the other room is showing BBC you will see BBC .Hope this makes sense

mac1611;8702006

Or........................ if there is another tv in the house,buy a … Or........................ if there is another tv in the house,buy a video sender which will send the signal to your TV about £20 to buy

That isn't gonna get a consistently good enough signal for Freeview reception, IMO. I had a great Philips video sender once, and just standing in the wrong place could sometimes affect strength of signal...not worth the agg.

An indoor aerial might do you, but don't bank on it. You could always buy a booster to see if you get any benefit.

I'd get the Play TV anyway if i were you mate - even though the TV has built in Freeview, Play TV will effectively give you a twin tuner hard drive recorder for the measly sum of 23 quid. No brainer in my mind...

Original Poster

SirBargainsALot;8702032

I'd get the Play TV anyway if i were you mate - even though the TV has … I'd get the Play TV anyway if i were you mate - even though the TV has built in Freeview, Play TV will effectively give you a twin tuner hard drive recorder for the measly sum of 23 quid. No brainer in my mind...

But I need an ariel for it to work dont I, which I dont have

dcx_badass;8702071

Just buy an indoor aerial from Argos and hope you have a good enough … Just buy an indoor aerial from Argos and hope you have a good enough signal.

Exactly.

Unless you've got a Sky box wired up in your room, how else do you think you're gonna watch any telly? You'll need to plug an aerial in for (what's left of) analogue, Freeview or Play TV.

Argos has a Digi-Top aerial for twenty quid, which if your signal is decent will probably do the job. They also have an amplified signal indoor aerial reduced from £60 to £40 at the moment, which looks like it'll be more effective if your signal ain't all that.

If your room's upstairs and the loft is above you, there's no need to run cabling round the house to get access to the loft aerial - you could simply drill through the ceiling into the loft - would be a doddle. The problem is that splitting the signal from the loft aerial might worsen the signal going to the other TVs in the house.

It's the old trade off of cash vs aggravation!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1220
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927348
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1621
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553785

See more discussions