TV vs Monitor * NEED HELP ASAP

Posted 5th Feb
Hi folks,

Need some questions answered, I’m currently looking to buy a laptop at the moment reason being as I’ve no space for a desktop which is something I would have always picked over a laptop but I just had a thought.

What If I buy a desktop and plug it into my TV? Is it safe? Is it a good idea? Is it better than having a laptop? And just use the TV as a monitor?

I understand a monitor can have better resolution and closer image, but I have a good distance away from my 55inch tv to play any game on I’m just more worried will the TV over heat or just not be as good as monitor.

What’s people’s opinions on it?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
There's no technical reason stopping you from using a desktop PC with a TV, the PC behaves the same as if it was connected to a monitor and the TV behaves the same as if it was connected to any other AV device.

It depends on how you want to use the PC which depends how viable it is because it's difficult to use a keyboard/mouse on a lap and if you sit close using a table/desk the TV can be too large.
Have you ever gone up close to a TV, the pixels are alot bigger on a TV and you'd notice. Try and think of it this way, a1080p TV is physically 4 times the size of a monitor that is 1080p, so that resolution will be 4 times less (all rough estimates to make a point)
what resolution is the tv? in my experience with monitors 1080p is good until 27 inch screens at most
I use a 4k 50 inch tv as my monitor and it's fantastic. It being 4k means I don't really see the pixels. It's a perfect setup.
Both options have their perks.

I tried having a PC attached to a TV, and although I liked it in some respects, I didn't like it enough to keep the setup. The big problem is the ergonomics. With the setup of my livingroom and my sofa, there wasn't really a comfortable way to use the PC + TV as I would a desktop PC + monitor. Sofas are meant for sitting back while a keyboard and mouse are meant for use from a desk where you're sitting forward, and that makes using the system pretty uncomfortable. On top of that, the table I had my keyboard & mouse on had regular legs and not wheels, which made exiting my sofa awkward. All in all, it was just an uncomfortable inconvenience, so, while it was a lot of fun to game on such a large screen, the physical aspect killed it. The great swathes of white you typically get with a maximised browser tab or Explorer window when opening on a 55" TV were pretty grating on the eyes, too.

Laptops are much more convenient, can be much more comfortable, and offer a whole lot more flexibility, since you can use it on the sofa while also watching TV. You can also plug a laptop into a TV and get that option. Personally, I'd go with that, especially if you've got no specific need for a clunky desktop PC.
I have a pc attached to a 55” 4K 120mhz tv, it’s great for sitting on the couch and playing a game. Web browsing is ok but not as good as being close up. Plus you might have to set resolution lower for some games depending on gpu and if it 1080p or 4K tv. Also how far away you sit will play a factor to get the best out of 4K I sit about 5-6 foot away any more and there’s no point..
you will need a tv with low input as well sub 20ms is good, you can get them as low as 6ms...

saying that I do enjoy sitting at a desk playing as well close up, you can get some reasonably priced laptops now for gaming, I bought one before Xmas and they have come a long way in the last few years and are a good gaming machine, only limitation is to game on it properly I need it plugged in..
you wont be disappointed going down the laptop route.
I also use a 4k 40in TV as a monitor for both my desktop pc and also plug my work laptop in too.

I used to have a 1080p TV and that was bad as was unable to make the apps smaller.

But the 4k TV is perfect for me. I've also played games without issues (nothing intense)
Thank you all for your comments, even though I’ve read them I’m still undecided.

Desktop I’ve always had but because of the lack of space is pretty much why I haven’t considered it. Though with reading your comments a lot of people are saying it fine to play on a TV I’d just be afraid of it not running smoothly.

Where as a laptop, more flexible, practically and can use anywhere around the house. The only down fall is no mouse, so I’d have to attach a mouse and sit at a table. Which isn’t a problem but just not a desktop feeling.

Another question,

Is it worth paying the extra £ for a 17.3” screen over a 15.6?
I have my desktop attached to my 4k TV. I prefer it over a monitor for gaming. Keyboard and mouse wise I use uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=saccrocsovmeca&categoryName=pc-keyboards&superCatName=computing&title=roccat-sova-mk-mechaical-gaming-keyboard-lapboard-b
Fantastic but of kit has two USB ports on the underside for a mouse to be plugged in. Only downside of it is its wired but its a nice long enough 3m cable for me. Laptop side would be more mobile. If you decide on a laptop have a look around for a laptop table. Argos has one for around 20 quid and it has enough space for a mouse to be used on the side.
Edited by: "talset" 6th Feb
Have you looked at an all in one, basically the pc is on the back of the monitor
esar06/02/2020 09:56

Have you looked at an all in one, basically the pc is on the back of the …Have you looked at an all in one, basically the pc is on the back of the monitor

I haven’t, see I had a desktop about a year and a half ago and because I’ve moved house we’ve no room to put a desk without it being in an awkward area, hence why thinking laptop.

But I’d play quite a few games and just trying to find the right build but also I’ve never done any gaming on a laptop before so bit unsure as to how it compares to desktop gaming.

My worry is buying a laptop and regretting not getting a desktop..

What you have in mind for all in one?
Ryan_Kane06/02/2020 10:05

I haven’t, see I had a desktop about a year and a half ago and because I …I haven’t, see I had a desktop about a year and a half ago and because I’ve moved house we’ve no room to put a desk without it being in an awkward area, hence why thinking laptop. But I’d play quite a few games and just trying to find the right build but also I’ve never done any gaming on a laptop before so bit unsure as to how it compares to desktop gaming. My worry is buying a laptop and regretting not getting a desktop.. What you have in mind for all in one?

You will have to spend a decent amount on a laptop for gaming, maybe around £650 - hotukdeals.com/dea…521

How is your internet speed? Have you considered buying an Nvidia Shield (£150) and connecting it to your TV and using Geforce Now?

nvidia.com/en-…ow/
Edited by: "Gormond" 6th Feb
Ryan_Kane06/02/2020 10:05

I haven’t, see I had a desktop about a year and a half ago and because I …I haven’t, see I had a desktop about a year and a half ago and because I’ve moved house we’ve no room to put a desk without it being in an awkward area, hence why thinking laptop. But I’d play quite a few games and just trying to find the right build but also I’ve never done any gaming on a laptop before so bit unsure as to how it compares to desktop gaming. My worry is buying a laptop and regretting not getting a desktop.. What you have in mind for all in one?

Nothing specific in mind, but this looks nice laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-akoya-e23401-core-i5-8250u-8gb-2tb-256gb-ssd-23.8-windows-10-all-30026003/version.asp
You can't wall mount this one, but there probably ones out there that you can, just thinking outside the box.
You could always get a laptop plinth for a tight corner too.
Edited by: "esar" 6th Feb
Gormond06/02/2020 10:49

You will have to spend a decent amount on a laptop for gaming, maybe …You will have to spend a decent amount on a laptop for gaming, maybe around £650 - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/acer-nitro-5-156-gaming-laptop-i5-8th-gen-1650gtx-3401521How is your internet speed? Have you considered buying an Nvidia Shield (£150) and connecting it to your TV and using Geforce Now?https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce-now/

I haven’t even thought of GeForce, I’d have to look into that.

I’ve looked at the HP Pavilion 0033na, it’s currently priced at £999. Willing to pay up to £1,000. But my requirements are GTX 1660TI and 17” screen.
Ryan_Kane06/02/2020 13:42

I haven’t even thought of GeForce, I’d have to look into that. I’ve looked …I haven’t even thought of GeForce, I’d have to look into that. I’ve looked at the HP Pavilion 0033na, it’s currently priced at £999. Willing to pay up to £1,000. But my requirements are GTX 1660TI and 17” screen.

dell.com/en-…730 looks good but a little out of your budget.
The only problem you'll have if you were to use a TV is the delay which can be noticeable depending on the TV. This will only really affect you on multiplayer games however, in some cases you probably wont even notice a difference.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants