TV Wall mounting... what to do with the DVD machine?

Found 8th Jan 2013
Looking to mount a 32" TV on the wall in my son's bedroom where it'll go on a breeze block wall which doesn't have room for a cabinet to stand underneath as you'd walk into the cabinet when you opened the door.

The thing we're not sure about is where to put the DVD, Wii and other bits and bobs that will undoubtedly appear as he gets older? If we buy extra long cables and do loads of channeling is that likely to cause problems? I don't think DVDs can be stood upright, therefore could be put in a very shallow cabinet...am I wrong on that?

Searched through Misc and already found a few ideas I wouldn't have thought of, such as those cable sockets with the brushes, but I just wondered if anyone has any ideas that I wouldn't have thought of? Tips for a good finish with mimilal effort appreciated!
Community Updates
MiscDVDTV & VideoTV Mount
17 Comments
Where is your sons room in the storage cupboard?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Basics-Floating-Bracket/dp/B005ERMB0G/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1357682550&sr=8-16

this would work for the DVD player at least
kidcat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Basics-Floating-Bracket/dp/B005ERMB0G/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1357682550&sr=8-16this would work for the DVD player at least

I got those,

Same seller on ebay too £9.99 delivered
J4GG4

Where is your sons room in the storage cupboard?

Yes. Yes - that's exactly where it is.
you can get tv wall brackets with built in shelves for dvd, sky etc and some have bits that hide the cables between.
Try Ebay theres loads on there.
I don't see any major problems with channeling cables. If using an HDMI cable under 10M there shouldn't be a problem (or not one that I have ever seen).

Could you not put a shelf up near the screen? That's what I might do in our bedroom. We have our 32" bedroom TV on top of a chest of draws.
kidcat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Basics-Floating-Bracket/dp/B005ERMB0G/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1357682550&sr=8-16this would work for the DVD player at least

Hmm... not come across those - might look at that. I did think about a floating shelf just under the TV, but it's the same problem - although it's an average sized room (3m x 4m ish), the positioning of the door, window, fitted wardrobes etc means that the only place the TV can sensibly go is the long wall which is adjacent to the door, and it has to be quite near the door because of the position of the bed. Hence anything that projects out from the wall is likely to become an instant injury for 4yr old brother who walks into anything he possibly can.
thearbiter65

I don't see any major problems with channeling cables. If using an HDMI … I don't see any major problems with channeling cables. If using an HDMI cable under 10M there shouldn't be a problem (or not one that I have ever seen).Could you not put a shelf up near the screen? That's what I might do in our bedroom. We have our 32" bedroom TV on top of a chest of draws.

Thanks - I wasn't sure if using long cables was a problem. The channeling would be a bit of a pain in the backside, but that's the other half's problem - I'll just have to hoover up the dust afterwards However, what worries me a bit about that, is whether or not I'll be able to add to the set-up as and when he gets more stuff to plug into the telly over time.

If the shelf went above the screen, he wouldn't be able to reach it himself for changing discs etc, and if it was below, it would be in the way when you walk into the room.
Edited by: "panddda" 8th Jan 2013
dcx_badass

Dvds are out of date, media player hidden behind the tv.

He's got an Apple TV for watching Netflix, but he still wants to be able to watch DVDs, and there'll be Wii and stuff to go in there too.

vics1712

you can get tv wall brackets with built in shelves for dvd, sky etc and … you can get tv wall brackets with built in shelves for dvd, sky etc and some have bits that hide the cables between.Try Ebay theres loads on there.

I'll have a look - thanks.
What about a floating shelf either below or above it?
wots a dvd.... ???
I've got my TiVo box and ps3 on floating corner shelves at the side of my tv that up in the middle of a wall. looks real smart and much less chance of my wee ones walking into it

That's an idea we hadn't considered which seems really obvious now - setting it off to the right hand side of the TV. Thanks!

Also thinking about trying to get a DVD or Bluray with a much slimmer depth to the wall as the existing one is quite bulky.

enemyofsauron

I've got my TiVo box and ps3 on floating corner shelves at the side of my … I've got my TiVo box and ps3 on floating corner shelves at the side of my tv that up in the middle of a wall. looks real smart and much less chance of my wee ones walking into it

dcx_badass

Dvds are out of date, media player hidden behind the tv.

vics1712

you can get tv wall brackets with built in shelves for dvd, sky etc and … you can get tv wall brackets with built in shelves for dvd, sky etc and some have bits that hide the cables between.Try Ebay theres loads on there.

Oh well, thanks for the constructive input anyway (_;) I'll be sure to pass your opinions of DVDs on to my 8-yr-old and see if he fancies getting rid.
panddda

Thanks - I wasn't sure if using long cables was a problem. The channeling … Thanks - I wasn't sure if using long cables was a problem. The channeling would be a bit of a pain in the backside, but that's the other half's problem - I'll just have to hoover up the dust afterwards However, what worries me a bit about that, is whether or not I'll be able to add to the set-up as and when he gets more stuff to plug into the telly over time.If the shelf went above the screen, he wouldn't be able to reach it himself for changing discs etc, and if it was below, it would be in the way when you walk into the room.

Could be worth a trip to IKEA. We are trying to maximize the space in our spare room and they had some excellent products to help in there. Sounds like long cables could be your only option. Like I said, I used a 10M before and saw no problems with picture quality.
Under bed. Connect with long cable and hide cables with low-profile cable-hider. Paint over. Job done.
handsomejackuk

wots a dvd.... ???

I asked my granddaddad, and he tells me that legend has it that they were these plates made of pure iron and plastic, on which etched on the surface was a script and description of actions, words, and locations too small for any human eye to see. In the days before internet, man used to have special machines with eyes that fired lasers upon these etchings, which read each peak, crevice, and plateu, and depicted the scene on a special kind of small box built from glass, metal, and plastic built by a wizard from Japan called Sony.

This was a long, long time ago and his memory isn't what it used to be, so forgive any historical inaccuracies.
thearbiter65

Could be worth a trip to IKEA. We are trying to maximize the space in our … Could be worth a trip to IKEA. We are trying to maximize the space in our spare room and they had some excellent products to help in there. Sounds like long cables could be your only option. Like I said, I used a 10M before and saw no problems with picture quality.

Yes, looks like it's inevitable and unavoidable, as we need one of those Expedit things as well. I'll have a look there and see if there's anything that could fit to the side without looking rubbish, and if not then I'll probably do the long cable thing and put all the boxes in one of the wardrobes at the end of the room if nobody seems to think that they'll cause any problems.

Thanks for all the advice!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions