Groups

TV warranties? Who does what?

I dunno if its any use to anyone but I thought I would be an idea to have a thread with a comparison of what sort of warranty retailers give on TV purchases.
    Also you could share your own experiences with the said warranty services.
    how quick?
    like for like replacement?
    etc etc

We all know John Lewis offer the free 5 year aswell as a premium paid for service too.

What do they cover?
    is it an in home service or not?
    is there a cut off point for repairs?
    is it unlimited?

Taken from their website, referring to the free cover

If you have purchased a television, your service guarantee is automatically 5 years in total, or 3 years for a John Lewis large electrical domestic appliance. These are also subject to the following.

This additional service guarantee provides :
    # A repair service in the event of breakdown of any functioning part of your product, for the period stated by the John Lewis guarantee.
    # We'll provide the repair service without charge up to a cost equal to the original purchase price paid for the product.
    # All repair services are provided by authorised service technicians.
    # If we decide your product cannot be repaired, or is uneconomical to repair, we'll replace it with the same model. If it's no longer available, we'll discuss an alternative settlement with you.
    # Occasionally, we may ask you to pay for the repair and claim the cost of the repair from us.

These service and repair costs are excluded from the guarantee
    # Repairs due to breakdown caused by use other than domestic by you or family, or by deliberate damage or neglect of the product.
    # Consumer replaceable items including, but not limited to, batteries, light bulbs and other consumables.
    # Cosmetic damage and/or non-functional parts which do not affect the normal use of the product including cabinet trim, scratches and rust.
    # The unblocking of drainage channels or refrigeration products.
    # Work which relates to a manufacturers recall of the product.
    # Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product, or any loss other than the repair or the replacement cost of the product.
    # We reserve the right to charge for the expense of a service call when no fault has been found with the product after we have inspected it.

The DSGI Stores PC World and Currys have their PC Performance/Whatever Happens plan (tho PC Performance is going to be renamed to Whatever Happens soon)

As is stands there are 2 levels of cover, Instant replacement and repair or replacement.
    Instant replacement is only available as a one off charge with a cover of usually 3 years on goods under £150.
    for everything else, its available over a set term 3/4/5 years which is payable upfront or over 10 months via direct debit.
    Its also available on a month by month basis through direct debit, this is a flexible option with no set term and can be stopped and restarted at any time.

currys.co.uk/sto…pdf

Basic breakdown of the service offerred is

Instant replacement-no repair, just unlimited replacements equal to the product you originally bought, including if the new product is of a higher price paid for the original.
    (so if you bought something in a sale and the replacement spec item is another £50, you don't pay the extra). Claim can include mechanical breakdown and accidental damage and claims are unlimited for the time period of the cover, usually 3 years

Repair or Replacement
    1 phone number to call
    home visit within 48 hours or as near as convenient with customer
    repairs carried out in home if parts are available
    if parts are out of stock, 21 day cut off point from the time the fault is registered, for the problem to be resolved.
    No engineer call out fees is no fault found
    if the parts cannot be obtained, will take more than 21 days, the product has been assessed as uneconomical to fix or has been accidentally damaged, it will be written off, collected and vouchers issued by post or now if the customer has registered online, via email.
    vouchers can be redeemed instore only.
    if the WEH cover was a set term, like 3 years, the remainder of the cover will also be issued back in a voucher to be used on the replacement.
    if it was a monthly option, it will cease when the replacement vouchers are issued.

replacement vouchers will match the spec of the original purchase or as near to it as possible.

example (since most of you know I work for Currys). Lady had a 5 year old Techwood 42" plasma that went bang just before her 5 year cover was up.
    they issued an email voucher for £799 for her to get a new Panasonic 42" plasma, but she actually chose the samsung 50" instead.

WEH is changing shortly and will have 2 options for repair or replacement
    Standard and premier. no prices yet tho
    standard gives you the same cover as described above with the 21 day cut off moving to 28 day.

premier gives you:-
    freephone number, next day call out inc choosing a time slot up to 7pm.
    loan TV or computer while yours is being fixed
    up to 20% discount on tech guys services such as aerial install, freesat install, PC upgrades etc etc
    10 day cut off point instead of 28
    still including accidental damage cover too.
    unlimited claims, no excess charges, no engineer charges.

Richer Sounds
    5 YEAR TV GUARANTEE
    richersounds.com/inf…ies

feel free to keep adding.

its always best to know what everyone offers before making a purchase.

I may work for DSGi but I'm also a consumer and want the best possible deals myself.
    hence coming to this site!

I will say that I do run 2 WEH policies on mine and my Dads TV (since it was a present for him) but only as I got the TVs as stupidly low prices (£297 on a samsung 42" plasma and £299 on an LG 37" 5010 LCD)

Whats your own experience with WEH via Currys?
    whats your experience with John Lewis free and service plan?

lets hear it.

12 Comments

You have appeneded the same question 4 times now so I think that is enough.

Original Poster

guilbert53;6031260

You have appeneded the same question 4 times now so I think that is … You have appeneded the same question 4 times now so I think that is enough.

it kept refusing to post cos I had too many words, but then I look at the main page and it has posted the headline for all of them but none of the links work, except this one

Banned

guilbert53;6031260

You have appeneded the same question 4 times now so I think that is … You have appeneded the same question 4 times now so I think that is enough.

:thumbsup:+1

Original Poster

RUDOLF;6031280

:thumbsup:+1

see my above comment.

i typed too many words!
    DUH!

eBuyer were pretty good with the TV my sister bought from them....it started going on the blink 11 months after purchase and they arranged for it to be picked up and replaced with a brand new one without any cost to my sister. Took a couple of weeks mind you and a couple of phone calls, but no hassle whatsoever.

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6031306

eBuyer were pretty good with the TV my sister bought from them....it … eBuyer were pretty good with the TV my sister bought from them....it started going on the blink 11 months after purchase and they arranged for it to be picked up and replaced with a brand new one without any cost to my sister. Took a couple of weeks mind you and a couple of phone calls, but no hassle whatsoever.

nice one.

so Ebuyer, good service and replacement issued.
    good to hear, I buy loadsa stuff from them.

Banned

ONES TO AVOID

28 days warranty on ALL goods and then you're on your own with the manufacturer

PLAY.COM

BUYITHERE.COM

Original Poster

I thought it was up to the retailer to solve your problems, not you via the manaufacturer?
    or is that only high street stores?

Banned

slackrat77;6031396

I thought it was up to the retailer to solve your problems, not you via … I thought it was up to the retailer to solve your problems, not you via the manaufacturer?or is that only high street stores?

only uk based stores / webtailers

play etc are in the channel islands so uk law doesnt apply

csiman;6031421

only uk based stores / webtailersplay etc are in the channel islands so … only uk based stores / webtailersplay etc are in the channel islands so uk law doesnt apply

apparently Jersey have now changed there law in line with the UK

mondaq.com/art…446

I bought a £450 tv from comet once and took the 5 year warranty, it started playing up after 4 years and after 2 repairs that didn't last long I took it back to the store and was told to choose another for the same price!

I ended up with a much better spec new tv and that was 4.5 years after buying the original :gift:

Banned

deanos;6031592

apparently Jersey have now changed there law in line with the … apparently Jersey have now changed there law in line with the UKhttp://www.mondaq.com/article.asp?articleid=82446

might explain why play.com moved from jersey to guernsey ;-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Rest In Peace Jerry Lewis.66
      2. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?66
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?99
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846240

See more discussions