TV/DVD Combi - Technika v Toshiba; Help me make my mind up

Found 1st Nov 2011
Looking to buy a TV/DVD combi for younger daughter's bedroom and can't make my mind up which of the following two sets to go for.

For £150 (plus shipping) I can get either a Technika 23-231 23" with USB PVR facility or a Toshiba 22DV500 22" with USB playback (but no record facility).

The Technika is on the Tesco ebay site and the Toshiba on the Argos ebay site.

ebay.co.uk/itm…53c

ebay.co.uk/itm…369

Both are 'as new' refurbs and come with a 12 month warranty.

I have found one expert review for the Technika on Trusted Reviews which given the budget nature of the set was pretty good (with the ability to record to USB stick or USB hard drive a real bonus for the price).

Can't find any expert reviews for the Toshiba, just loads of user reviews on the Argos website.

My normal inclination would be to stay away from supermarket branded goods and stick with better known and more reliable brands; if i stick to this principle I would go for the Toshiba.

I think the Tosh would give me a better picture quality and reading the specs the Tosh certainly seems to have a greater range of controls to adjust picture quality.

So do I go for a better brand or risk the Technika with its slightly bigger screen and the advantage of USB recording?

Any advice most welcome.
Community Updates
MiscDVDTechnikaToshibaTV
9 Comments
technika one is brand new (and crap though)
Take a look at this one also, £129.99 delivered free and brand new from Bestbuy. Also has usb feature and freeview and you will probably find the actual manufacturer may be the same for all 3 as Toshiba have many of these made for them as do the supermarkets. Have the Isis for my son and it is a good tv.....Hope it helps.

bestbuy.co.uk/pro…spx
whatsThePoint

does she need to be able to record onto usb?if not get the toshiba

It would certainly free up huge amounts of space on our Humax PVR!
got a bush 24" LED from argos for £169 has built in dvd player for our daughters room, not sure if its ended but you get £20 worth of vouchers for a £100+ spend at the moment.

the 22" is £139.99 - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298116/Trail/searchtext%3EBUSH+LED.htm

and the vouchers are till tommorow.
Edited by: "liamis2cool" 1st Nov 2011
Technika DVD combi's are absolutely terrible.

With moderate use, the dvd player will probably not work within 6 months. (I had 3 of them replaced, before demanding a refund)
Edited by: "jonny619447" 1st Nov 2011
Note Technika are a "Tesco only" brand so you have no idea who makes them or what the quality is like.

While Toshiba do "badge" some TVs at least they have a name to protect in the electronis area.
Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go for the Tosh, especially as I can buy brand new from Amazon for £10 cheaper and free delivery.
If both are the same price, you'd have to be daft not to go with the Toshiba (I see from your above post that you have done so)

However we have 2 of the Technikas in our house and have no complaints about the picture quality or sound quality, especially considering the price (usb record one 19" was about £80 with staff discount and voucher code)
Johnboy_1975

If both are the same price, you'd have to be daft not to go with the … If both are the same price, you'd have to be daft not to go with the Toshiba (I see from your above post that you have done so)However we have 2 of the Technikas in our house and have no complaints about the picture quality or sound quality, especially considering the price (usb record one 19" was about £80 with staff discount and voucher code)

Thanks Johnboy. Going to order the Toshiba at £139.99 with free delivery from Amazon.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants