Tvs for newbies

Posted 14th Jan
Looking for a TV (49-55inch).

Granted I’ve never had a 4KTV before and thus I will be satisfied with most ranging between £250-£350.

Are there any recommendations / current January sales bargains I should be jumping on?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
Tesco Toshiba 55inch £329 or 49inch £299 I’ve got two Toshibas and fully rate them. Good picture, sound and easy interface
i wouldnt bother with 4k at that price and size, spend a bit more and get a decent tv you will see the diffrence, as poster above mentioned toshiba being good at that price find out what they are comparing them to, as personaly i wouldnt use them as a door stop...
Well we’ve had the 49 inch for 4 years with no issues which is why i decided to go for the 55 inch in my bedroom and it’s been brilliant
ndyanem14/01/2020 20:13

Well we’ve had the 49 inch for 4 years with no issues which is why i d …Well we’ve had the 49 inch for 4 years with no issues which is why i decided to go for the 55 inch in my bedroom and it’s been brilliant

It might of lasted 4 years, but I’m on about picture quality. Which are terrible on them and the App Store is really bad, it’s the same with all the cheap TVs like this, I’m not just slating toshiba... you get what you pay for..
Bargainhead14/01/2020 20:19

It might of lasted 4 years, but I’m on about picture quality. Which are t …It might of lasted 4 years, but I’m on about picture quality. Which are terrible on them and the App Store is really bad, it’s the same with all the cheap TVs like this, I’m not just slating toshiba... you get what you pay for..

My picture quality is to good standard. I’ve amended the setting myself. The 55 inch replaced a Sony and there is little difference between them.
App Store well I have all the demand channels, prime and Netflix which is all I need and there are plenty of other apps I can download but don’t need them
I got cheap 4k TV for around £350
I don't recommend it

I guess it depends on the TV but honestly I wish I just gone all out and got a OLED or something

Yeah it's expensive but it lasted a long time, I don't get it why do people spend £1000 on a iPhone or Samsung every year than want to spend £250 on a 55inch TV
Edited by: "Norseg" 14th Jan
ndyanem14/01/2020 20:22

My picture quality is to good standard. I’ve amended the setting myself. T …My picture quality is to good standard. I’ve amended the setting myself. The 55 inch replaced a Sony and there is little difference between them. App Store well I have all the demand channels, prime and Netflix which is all I need and there are plenty of other apps I can download but don’t need them

I’m glad your enjoying your purchases, but i wouldn’t waste my money on cheap tv models, just not worth the money..
Just seen this one on here at £350.

Maybe not the best TV ever but better than a Toshiba.

hotukdeals.com/dea…714

Or spend a little bit more and get the Samsung RU7100 for £379, which is what I would recommend.

johnlewis.com/sam…=48

Five year guarantee with John Lewis too.

It has been £350 at John Lewis too so you may be able to find it at that price somewhere.
Edited by: "Cremoso99" 14th Jan
Bargainhead14/01/2020 20:35

I’m glad your enjoying your purchases, but i wouldn’t waste my money on che …I’m glad your enjoying your purchases, but i wouldn’t waste my money on cheap tv models, just not worth the money..

Well it’s down to personal choice and I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my money. I does everything I need it to do and don’t see the need to spend more money or small differences which are hardly noticeable
ndyanem14/01/2020 20:38

Well it’s down to personal choice and I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my mone …Well it’s down to personal choice and I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my money. I does everything I need it to do and don’t see the need to spend more money or small differences which are hardly noticeable

I get that, but there not small difference, op asked for advice, the best advice is don’t bye cheap TVs. I’m not the only who has said it now either on here...
Bargainhead14/01/2020 20:41

I get that, but there not small difference, op asked for advice, the best …I get that, but there not small difference, op asked for advice, the best advice is don’t bye cheap TVs. I’m not the only who has said it now either on here...

But they have a budget
ndyanem14/01/2020 20:38

Well it’s down to personal choice and I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my mone …Well it’s down to personal choice and I don’t feel like I’ve wasted my money. I does everything I need it to do and don’t see the need to spend more money or small differences which are hardly noticeable

Just wondering how much do you spend on a phone? What about a car? What about food? I know people who cheap out on a TV what they plan to keep for 10 years and use all day everyday but happily spend £1k on a phone on every year

I get budget but come on how much time do you spend Infront of your TV
Same with beds we spend 1/3 or more of our lives sleeping but people want the cheapest bed they can get and they keep it for a decade
Norseg14/01/2020 21:28

Just wondering how much do you spend on a phone? What about a car? What …Just wondering how much do you spend on a phone? What about a car? What about food? I know people who cheap out on a TV what they plan to keep for 10 years and use all day everyday but happily spend £1k on a phone on every yearI get budget but come on how much time do you spend Infront of your TV Same with beds we spend 1/3 or more of our lives sleeping but people want the cheapest bed they can get and they keep it for a decade

I like to stick with in budgets and means.
I have an iPhone X so that a few years old now, nothing wrong with it
I currently have a 55plate Mazda 2 but will be upgrading it this year due to new job
Food approx £30 a week but do like to shop after 7 pm
My Sony tv was about 8 years old going strong but I let somebody else have it
Tv 49inch on most hours of the day 55inch couple of hours a day
Bed well current mattress is old say good 15 years old but not slept on everyday my other bed is about 6 years but no longer have it due to change of circumstances
Edited by: "ndyanem" 14th Jan
Appreciate the responses. Might have to push out the budget to 500 but it’s mainly just going to be used in the bedroom for Netflix or some gaming so don’t have the desire to spend any more.

Still contemplating between Samsung, LG, Hisense and Philips to be honest
ndyanem14/01/2020 21:40

I like to stick with in budgets and means. I have an iPhone X so that a …I like to stick with in budgets and means. I have an iPhone X so that a few years old now, nothing wrong with itI currently have a 55plate Mazda 2 but will be upgrading it this year due to new jobFood approx £30 a week but do like to shop after 7 pm My Sony tv was about 8 years old going strong but I let somebody else have it Tv 49inch on most hours of the day 55inch couple of hours a day Bed well current mattress is old say good 15 years old but not slept on everyday my other bed is about 6 years but no longer have it due to change of circumstances

Why get a iPhone X when £100-200 phone would do the same job especially if the most task extensive thing your doing is watching YouTube.. why get a Mazda when you could have gotten a £100 used car, after all it does the same job it gets you from A to B

Get my point

Just silly that people spend so much on a thing they buy every year but will cheap on something they spend most of their time using such as Bed, TV
Norseg14/01/2020 22:10

Why get a iPhone X when £100-200 phone would do the same job especially if …Why get a iPhone X when £100-200 phone would do the same job especially if the most task extensive thing your doing is watching YouTube.. why get a Mazda when you could have gotten a £100 used car, after all it does the same job it gets you from A to B

iPhone X was on offer through work discount at the time and Mazda was brought last year as a run about to get me by
ndyanem14/01/2020 22:11

iPhone X was on offer through work discount at the time and Mazda was …iPhone X was on offer through work discount at the time and Mazda was brought last year as a run about to get me by

What Mazda 2 is it
I don't know what a 55 plate is

Doesn't seem like "run about to get me by" unless you're rich since Mazda's aren't cheap
2005its 15 years old
ndyanem14/01/2020 20:43

But they have a budget

So save up and get something what’s worth viewing...
Bargainhead15/01/2020 05:34

So save up and get something what’s worth viewing...

Budget TVs are worth watching. Sticking to a budget it absolutely fine
ndyanem15/01/2020 05:47

Budget TVs are worth watching. Sticking to a budget it absolutely fine

Till you experience a better quality and then you wonder why you ever went down that route. I get people have budgets everyone does, but my advice to op is save and get something worth viewing. If your budget is toshiba and your happy with them, that’s good and enjoy there is nothing wrong with that.. but op is better of saving and experiencing a decent picture specially if they are going to game on it as then other factors come into it like latency..
Bargainhead15/01/2020 06:15

Till you experience a better quality and then you wonder why you ever went …Till you experience a better quality and then you wonder why you ever went down that route. I get people have budgets everyone does, but my advice to op is save and get something worth viewing. If your budget is toshiba and your happy with them, that’s good and enjoy there is nothing wrong with that.. but op is better of saving and experiencing a decent picture specially if they are going to game on it as then other factors come into it like latency..

I came from a Sony and have family and friends with all sorts of brands and budgets and I can’t tell the difference in paying an extra £100 to an extra £1000
ndyanem15/01/2020 06:43

I came from a Sony and have family and friends with all sorts of brands …I came from a Sony and have family and friends with all sorts of brands and budgets and I can’t tell the difference in paying an extra £100 to an extra £1000

Yes but an old Sony. Put it next to a new one and Sony haven’t been brilliant for a while but you will notice the difference...
Bargainhead15/01/2020 09:05

Yes but an old Sony. Put it next to a new one and Sony haven’t been b …Yes but an old Sony. Put it next to a new one and Sony haven’t been brilliant for a while but you will notice the difference...

I also stated other brands that people I know have and there is no massive difference except a price tag.
If people have spare cash to throw around then there choice but even if I had spare cash I still would throw it
ndyanem15/01/2020 06:46

Even this has a hinsense tv for £299 as a gaming …Even this has a hinsense tv for £299 as a gaming optionhttps://www.gamesradar.com/uk/best-gaming-tvs/

Did you read the review it said the picture can’t compete against premium tv, enough said you answered your own discussion thank you...

im not going back and forth any more, I’m not knocking you choice for you but advice for op save up and buy better quality. Plenty of forums and reviews all say the same about it. You even put link up saying the same..
If people have spare cash to throw around then there choice but even if I had spare cash I still wouldnt throw it
Bargainhead15/01/2020 09:09

Did you read the review it said the picture can’t compete against premium t …Did you read the review it said the picture can’t compete against premium tv, enough said you answered your own discussion thank you...im not going back and forth any more, I’m not knocking you choice for you but advice for op save up and buy better quality. Plenty of forums and reviews all say the same about it. You even put link up saying the same..

It clearly states though that the budget tv is just as good for everyday and gaming
You can’t educate some people...
apart From where it says not as good, stick to cheap if that’s what you want. It’s not personal it’s fact I’m stating for op, you got a bee in your bonnet about this, lots of people do buy cheap and there’s nothing wrong with it... apart from picture quality and features...
Bargainhead15/01/2020 09:18

apart From where it says not as good, stick to cheap if that’s what you w …apart From where it says not as good, stick to cheap if that’s what you want. It’s not personal it’s fact I’m stating for op, you got a bee in your bonnet about this, lots of people do buy cheap and there’s nothing wrong with it... apart from picture quality and features...

I haven’t got a bee in my bonnet but the person set a reasonable price budget which is within there means and people just presume they can stretch there budget because they believe it would be better in the long run. All I’m saying is a budget they have set will still give them a decent quality tv which will suit there means and they don’t need to go for broke
ndyanem15/01/2020 09:24

I haven’t got a bee in my bonnet but the person set a reasonable price b …I haven’t got a bee in my bonnet but the person set a reasonable price budget which is within there means and people just presume they can stretch there budget because they believe it would be better in the long run. All I’m saying is a budget they have set will still give them a decent quality tv which will suit there means and they don’t need to go for broke

Ok I get the budget, that’s why I said save up longer. Not stretch the budget. The budget they have will get a tv yes, but not decent by any means..

I understand people have different ideas of quality or good value. But save more get better, don’t fall in the trap of buying cheap and regretting it.

go to a store and compare makes and models, look at the difference. Never buy one on the end of the isle in a supermarket...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants