TVs not in synch

Found 3rd Jul
I've got a telly in the kitchen and one in the living room, but when the football is on the TV in the kitchen is a second in front of the other. Is there any way I can synch them? It is annoying when someone cheers a goal from the kitchen as they haven't quite scored in the living room. Both on the same aerial, both Samsungs. Any ideas?
Community Updates
AskTV & Video
Top comments
If the big one is on the HD version of the channel, the latency on that tends to be higher
14 Comments
Gag the kitchen crowd or watch the kitchen telly.
One on the aerial and the other one (1 sec late ) on the satellite by any chance ?
rogparki6 m ago

One on the aerial and the other one (1 sec late ) on the satellite by any …One on the aerial and the other one (1 sec late ) on the satellite by any chance ?

Not according to the post
You sure they aren’t on different sources, ariel, freesat, HD channel or SDeven iPlayer was on the radio seems some iPlayer signals are 45 seconds behind.
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

Not according to the post

Mine are on the same aerial , but being lazy I tend to watch even the terrestrial channels through the SKY box (means I can pause the programme which you can't do on straight terrestrial directly via the aerial ).
I think it's just how quick the tellies can process the signal. Noticeable difference between mine and also the same at my mum's - in both cases, both tuned to the same channel via the same aerial
rogparki55 m ago

Mine are on the same aerial , but being lazy I tend to watch even the …Mine are on the same aerial , but being lazy I tend to watch even the terrestrial channels through the SKY box (means I can pause the programme which you can't do on straight terrestrial directly via the aerial ).

Defo gag the kitchen watchers then. I watch everything through the sky box as I'm too tight to pay for an aerial as well.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 3rd Jul
If the big one is on the HD version of the channel, the latency on that tends to be higher
Yes HD channels are slightly behind their SD channel
My tv's are more than a second out, 1 is on sky box the other on aerial.
Wormhole
Each TV uses ADC conversion that converts Analogue signals to Digital. The conversion takes time and one of the ADC converters is performing conversion quicker than the other due to factors such as clock rate and resolution of the signal (which is why an HD encoded signal will take longer to convert than an SD encoded signal). Another factor is pre-processing of the image whereby one TV may be performing more complex pre-processing than the other. You can try turning off all processing and observe the results but this is not guaranteed to produce the required results, particularly if ADC conversion between the 2 TVs differ, as mentioned.

The other alternative is to split the source into 2 separate digital feeds and feed them into digital inputs such as HDMI. For instance, perform analogue to digital conversion at the source and split into 2 separate HDMI signals. Both these HDMI signals are in sync. However, pre-processing of the TVs should still be turned off to avoid any extra delay in processing.

To explain it in rudimentary terms, the analogue signal from the aerial needs to be converted to digital. This conversion is carried out by ADC converter and it is not instant. The converted digital signal is a signal that is encoded in Mpeg2, Mpeg4 or H265. This has to be further decoded into a sequence of frames. The sequence of frames are not immediately outputted to display but are stored in memory called a buffer. When the buffer size reaches a certain threshold, the sequence of frames are either pre-processed or sent to the display. The filling of the buffer will take time and the speed in which the memory is populated is affected by types of memory used and the interface to the memory. This is another contributing factor to the time of delay prior to the frames being outputted to the display.
Edited by: "ElliottC" 4th Jul
Glitch in the Maxtrix, move along nothing to see here
You may be able to eliminate some of the difference by setting the Kitchen TV to game mode (fastest response to inputs and minimal picture processing) and the living room TV to another mode with picture processing turned on (frame interpolation often adds 1/20th-1/10th of a second).

If you've got a freeview box or PVR knocking around then you could also hook that up and watch through that instead. It may be faster or slower than the TV's internal tuner depending on their relative quality and speed so you'll have to test it to know which TV you should use it on for matches.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants