TV's now with lack of headphone socket - workaround options

Found 27th Nov 2017Edited by:"cecilmcroberts"
As above noticed alot of TV's now do not come with a 3.5mm headphone jack (sounds like an Apple vs Android comment lol). Soundbar not really an option as lack of power sockets along with the cost of something that will not be used much. Not fussed on Bluetooth headphones either as already have enough good wired sets.
Would a simple DAC work (USB Powered) to give a headphone socket or a phono>3.5mm lead like below?

Random photo examples below - so ignore that they could be found cheaper.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas and comments.

2842591.jpg
2842591.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I don’t think any of those solutions would work but it would depend on the TV. What would be your output to convert to a 3.5mm jack?

in fact I get what you are talking about now and I think we done this for my dad on an old bose sound system from a tv that wouldn’t play the sound out of the smart tv apps. Used optical out to the RCA and it worked fine. It was one of those amazon ones like you just posted.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 27th Nov 2017
The RCA outputs (or the audio outputs in a SCART socket) most probably won't fade with the TV volume control, so you'd need a headphone amp or something similar.

What about a Bluetooth audio receiver with a headphone output, you'd get to keep your wired cans.....
Original Poster
Dannyrobbo11 m ago

I don’t think any of those solutions would work but it would depend on the …I don’t think any of those solutions would work but it would depend on the TV. What would be your output to convert to a 3.5mm jack?

Can't find a picture of the back of the TV, but had been looking at a couple of the Samsung TV's. Specs list Digital Audio Out (Optical). Actually reading the specs the composite connections are only "in". Had been debating between the below TV along with a Philips Ambilight one although the Philips does have headphone socket.
Example TV
That depends on your TV, but USB audio output isn't commonly supported and if it doesn't have a 3.5mm output it's not likely to have 2xRCA outputs either.

A bluetooth receiver would be more likely to work, but again not all TVs can output audio over bluetooth.

Basically the first thing to find out is where your model of TV can output audio.
cecilmcroberts2 m ago

Can't find a picture of the back of the TV, but had been looking at a …Can't find a picture of the back of the TV, but had been looking at a couple of the Samsung TV's. Specs list Digital Audio Out (Optical). Actually reading the specs the composite connections are only "in". Had been debating between the below TV along with a Philips Ambilight one although the Philips does have headphone socket. Example TV

I updated my comment but maybe you won’t read it

in fact I get what you are talking about now and I think we done this for my dad on an old bose sound system from a tv that wouldn’t play the sound out of the smart tv apps. Used optical out to the RCA and it worked fine. It was one of those amazon ones like you just posted
Original Poster
EndlessWaves16 m ago

That depends on your TV, but USB audio output isn't commonly supported and …That depends on your TV, but USB audio output isn't commonly supported and if it doesn't have a 3.5mm output it's not likely to have 2xRCA outputs either.A bluetooth receiver would be more likely to work, but again not all TVs can output audio over bluetooth.Basically the first thing to find out is where your model of TV can output audio.

Dannyrobbo14 m ago

I updated my comment but maybe you won’t read itin fact I get what you are …I updated my comment but maybe you won’t read itin fact I get what you are talking about now and I think we done this for my dad on an old bose sound system from a tv that wouldn’t play the sound out of the smart tv apps. Used optical out to the RCA and it worked fine. It was one of those amazon ones like you just posted

Thanks. I've linked to the particular TV I had been debating. Good idea about the bluetooth side of things. I already have my Nvidia Shield which sorted out anything watching through that as Bluetooth Controller has 3.5mm jack in it. TY for the nod to the updated comment had been downloading the manual for the TV at the time lol.
Looking around also it has HMDI ARC, possibly an HDMI ARC Convertor,reading around would lose volume control from remote possibly.
Thinking just buy the Philips to save any hassle lol.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 27th Nov 2017
If it's got an optical S/PDIF output then you can get a DAC for that.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves2 m ago

Happy days ty. Heading to a local independent store to look at the telly which may have a DAC to try and test in it. Thanks for your help.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves27th Nov

Can confirm now, works perfect with the DAC connected to the optical output on the telly and headphones connected to the DAC.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions