Tweens first phones ~ £150 a piece?

Posted 4th Jul
Hi,

I’m full of indecision about getting first mobile phones for my kids heading to high school. I’ve got to get two so £150 a piece is really my max budget.

I’ve been looking at deals on site but finding it hard to cross review which is best value.

Android with the play store, a decent battery and as future proof as possible are my main ‘wants’

I was looking at the Samsung A20’s as I recognised the brand but some of the others listed today seem like they may actually be better equipped for the price.

Thank you for helping me navigate!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
First priority
What do they actually want to use the Phones for ?
Second Priority
Which are acceptable to them

Third priority.
What do you want then to have the phones for?

Good luck with your nightmare
@MrSwitch posts loads of phone deals.

He might be able to offer some assistance.
don't know about future proof for phones as technology in the mobile market moves so fast that a phone becomes old after a couple of years. the battery on phones don't tend to last many years and after a few years they lose charge quickly.

iphones tend to last longer than most but they are more expensive.

i remember being on the bus last year and this kid had a samsung phone but he was complaining to his mum that the phone she got him is not as good as his friend's, who has a much better phone. his mum scolded him and told him that she is not prepared to buy him a better phone so that he can keep up with his friend. and he will just have to stick with the phone he has. he went into a strop and said he wanted a better phone, lol.

the chinese phones are the better value for money at the moment and they look quite sleek.
I got mine a cheap and cheerful umidigi. Had no complaints yet, might be different when he gets to high and does have a big brand.

amazon.co.uk/UMI…M3K

He uses it for calls, whatapp, games, doesn’t have a particular good camera on his model but over all I’m happy with it and he’s very pleased with it.
OP

What are you going to pay per month for the sim use? You should consider this when buying.
We use iPhones but my son uses a Motorola G8 Power. Good sized screen, amazing battery and plenty of RAM.
Camera isn’t great but everything else runs fine. It might worth a look at. My brother uses one too and my mum is on the G6.
No idea if you'll see this but Idealworld.tv have the Huawei P40 Lite E on offer - £149.99 + £4.99 P & P.

Big, feature-packed phone for the money. 6.3" / 48mp camera / 4Gb Ram / 64Gb storage. No Playstore though.

On telly at the moment till midnight.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 4th Jul
Blueskinnedbeast04/07/2020 22:49

First priorityWhat do they actually want to use the Phones for ?Second …First priorityWhat do they actually want to use the Phones for ?Second PriorityWhich are acceptable to themThird priority.What do you want then to have the phones for?Good luck with your nightmare

Excellent set of Q’s thank you! Easy to get boggled and not actually think it through.

1. Call/Text/WhatsApp friends and extended family
TikTok silliness
Playing games
So many selfies

2. I don’t think they’d be fussed as long as it works and is reliable, just excited I think. And of course they’d adore iPhones but know I’m not in the financial position to get them at the moment.

3. Emergencies, keeping in touch and awful as it sounds ‘tracking’ school is out of borough and there can be boundaries friction in London particularly travelling in school uniform.

Google has a good parental controls app and can ping me their location without being overly intrusive.

Price wise likely £10 a month on a sim only bundle.
@ProperBrew glad to help the real experts narrow it down.
As I said good luck and those who know will guide you better than I ever could
ProperBrew04/07/2020 23:32

Excellent set of Q’s thank you!

ID Mobile do
41297929.jpg
Samsung Galaxy A40 64GB Black
24 month contract
Data: 2GB : Unlimited Texts: Unlimited Mins
Pay monthly: £16.99

Works out at £150 plus £10 per month for 24 months.

Just cap the phone usage to £16.99 & job done. Same money spent as you wanted.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 5th Jul
I got my daughter a refurbished Huawei can't remember which 1 from Argos ebay, £80 looked new, got a sim only deal separately with sky unlimited mins/texts 2gb data £3 p/m
Talk to your kids and see if they have any preference, it’s awful to say but it’s may be important to them which type they would prefer and will be cheaper in the long run. Sadly most of their friends will probably have had phones for years and it can be a status symbol like trainer or brands were when you were younger.
eslick05/07/2020 01:32

Talk to your kids and see if they have any preference, it’s awful to say b …Talk to your kids and see if they have any preference, it’s awful to say but it’s may be important to them which type they would prefer

Is it not the job of the parents to chose what they feel appropriate rather than act on the instructions of the children?

My personal thoughts are if any parent gives in to the wishes of the child to supply them with any "gift" outside their means is entering a whole world of trouble for years to come.
Xiaomi Mi or Redmi range are pretty good devices it's just that you'll probably wait a while for delivery depending on where you purchase
What's a Tween?
If you're after a nice easy to use Android smartphone, then the Moto G8 Plus on EE ticks a lot of boxes for £149.99 (+£10 Top Up) near stock Android and very easy to use, good processor and battery size, and should last your kids a good while, nice modern look as well.

There is also a plethora of Chinese phones you could go for at your budget.
Gollywood05/07/2020 03:15

What's a Tween?

Older child, 10, 11, 12.

Pre teenager
Gollywood05/07/2020 06:43

Damn, another label!!

Its beenaround a while.

Mine is worse than the teenage sibling
Willy_Wonka05/07/2020 01:37

Is it not the job of the parents to chose what they feel appropriate …Is it not the job of the parents to chose what they feel appropriate rather than act on the instructions of the children? My personal thoughts are if any parent gives in to the wishes of the child to supply them with any "gift" outside their means is entering a whole world of trouble for years to come.

Of course it is but you still have to consider the child’s wishes even if you don’t / won’tgo down that route or it will just become a expensive mistake. Phones are important to kids get it wrong for them and you will never hear the end of it. Start off by talking it to them and explaining the choices is much easier than buying and giving.

Most kids know what they want, it’s unfortunate part of life now, by this age they are already in the Android or Apple world especially if they have similar devices already.

It has nothing to do with outside the parents means, you can still get the onto a particular phone at this level.

Sadly most of their friends will already have phones, many even on contracts and some probably given the newest phones as well. But it doesn’t mean you have to keep up with the Jones you just have to be aware of what is happening in their world.
It's the last day to pick up the Redmi Note 8T for £119 from the Mi store.

Great value.
ProperBrew04/07/2020 23:32

Excellent set of Q’s thank you! Easy to get boggled and not actually think …Excellent set of Q’s thank you! Easy to get boggled and not actually think it through. 1. Call/Text/WhatsApp friends and extended family TikTok silliness Playing games So many selfies 2. I don’t think they’d be fussed as long as it works and is reliable, just excited I think. And of course they’d adore iPhones but know I’m not in the financial position to get them at the moment. 3. Emergencies, keeping in touch and awful as it sounds ‘tracking’ school is out of borough and there can be boundaries friction in London particularly travelling in school uniform. Google has a good parental controls app and can ping me their location without being overly intrusive. Price wise likely £10 a month on a sim only bundle.

If you could stretch your budget more for 9.99 a phone you could get an iPhone 7 gold or rose gold for £159.99 or an iPhone 7 locked to Vodafone in silver colour for £144.99 which is of course if you want iPhones for them but you would have to pay another £10-£30 for either Bluetooth headphones are apple lightning jack headphones
teacoffeebiscuits05/07/2020 10:57

If you could stretch your budget more for 9.99 a phone you could get an …If you could stretch your budget more for 9.99 a phone you could get an iPhone 7 gold or rose gold for £159.99 or an iPhone 7 locked to Vodafone in silver colour for £144.99 which is of course if you want iPhones for them but you would have to pay another £10-£30 for either Bluetooth headphones are apple lightning jack headphones

Or get a headphone jack adapter for 7.99 each and use normal earphones which would be the much better solution as you won’t have to buy apple earphones or Bluetooth earphones if they break and can get any pair from argos
Gollywood05/07/2020 03:15

What's a Tween?

Slightly older than young children but with all the attitude of teenagers
I got my 9 year old a samsung at the beginning of lockdown i have set up timers for youtube ect otherwise he would want to be on it all day i have limited it to 2 hours in the evening he just has a giffgaff sim but its just used in the house mainly so wifi its been good he has kept in touch with friends and fam i do monitor it though hes got his gamey apps on there and even makes stop motion lego movies i was totally against it but its been great as he hasnt seen his cousins and friends in months so they have been video calling its also good he knows how to use it in a emergency
spruceyb05/07/2020 08:55

It's the last day to pick up the Redmi Note 8T for £119 from the Mi …It's the last day to pick up the Redmi Note 8T for £119 from the Mi store.Great value.

Great value and good performance for such a low price, plus when they inevitably drop it and / or lose it, it won't break the bank. I think if you use the Mi android app to get another £5 off, £114 is madness for a spec like that.
Edited by: "spannerzone" 5th Jul
2 iPhone ses - 80 each
spruceyb05/07/2020 08:55

It's the last day to pick up the Redmi Note 8T for £119 from the Mi …It's the last day to pick up the Redmi Note 8T for £119 from the Mi store.Great value.

It's still on offer during the next round of the sale.
Snapdragon 665 with 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage.
Gorilla Glass 5 front and back.
48MP main camera with PDAF plus, Ultrawide, Macro and depth camera.
13MP Selfie Cam
4000mAh battery, 18W fast charging USB Type C
NFC, IR Blaster and 3.5mm Headphone jack.

Currently the best bang for the buck around at the moment.

Here's camera quality examples
instagram.com/exp…hy/
Edited by: "spruceyb" 6th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants