Two 23" monitors or one 29" ultrawide monitor?

Found 30th Jun 2015
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy monitor/s for my computer. I work(programmer) on my computer and do like screen real estate. I saw a deal on hukd yesterday regarding a 23 inch Viewsonic IPS monitor and ordered 2 of them. However, I was just browsing today and came across an LG 29" (29UM55-P) ultrawide display on eBay.Viewsonic monitor cost me £176(88x2) and LG ultrawide monitor is for £214 now.

So, Should I pay £38 more to get LG ultrawide monitor or stick with 2 Viewsonic? Anyone with experiance of using dual monitors and ultra wide?
Thanks.

P.S. My current setup is also dual screen(19" each).
Community Updates
11 Comments
Do you like dual-monitor setups? I would choose 2 23" because the aspect ratio for the ultra-wide is weird. You have 2 workplaces with 2 and I think think that's more beneficial and productive.
Edited by: "rev6" 30th Jun 2015
as rev6 said, if you would find it beneficial to have 2 work stations then obviously go for 2 screens. I recently discovered that plugging my chromebook into my tv would give me 2 screens instead of straight up mirroring what I am looking at and it has been fantastic
You could I'd wait for the NRG IT deals to come up again and buy two of the Dell 24 inch monitors. Depends how urgent it is really as the deal isn't available for long - hopefully have some more stock in soon. I have two of them and really pleased with the set up. Also forked out on the official Dell dual monitor stand (ouch) but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. I really like having the dual setup - should have done it years ago.
What sort of programming?
Anything with a visual aspect having 2 separate screens is great as you can code on one screen then have the other showing the output and for debug information
I agree two screens works best as you can have a "full" window of each application open on each so less faffing around resizing/moving etc. I have my Outlook, with IE and Excel "underneath" on my left screen and Chrome and Word "underneath" on my right.

rev6

Do you like dual-monitor setups? I would choose 2 23" because the aspect … Do you like dual-monitor setups? I would choose 2 23" because the aspect ratio for the ultra-wide is weird. You have 2 workplaces with 2 and I think think that's more beneficial and productive.

Yes, I do like my dual setup but since I have never used Ultra wide so just wondering.

joedastudd

What sort of programming?Anything with a visual aspect having 2 separate … What sort of programming?Anything with a visual aspect having 2 separate screens is great as you can code on one screen then have the other showing the output and for debug information

I do programming on eclipse (android Dev) and having 2 screens really helps imo. I just dont know if Ultra wide can replicate that functionality.
redbutcher

You could I'd wait for the NRG IT deals to come up again and buy two of … You could I'd wait for the NRG IT deals to come up again and buy two of the Dell 24 inch monitors. Depends how urgent it is really as the deal isn't available for long - hopefully have some more stock in soon. I have two of them and really pleased with the set up. Also forked out on the official Dell dual monitor stand (ouch) but it's definitely worth it in my opinion. I really like having the dual setup - should have done it years ago.

Thanks for the tip. Buying the monitors isn't/wasn't urgent tho. So is Dell Refurbished P2414H better than ViewSonic VX2363SMHL-W? Considering the later has 2ms response time v 8ms of Dell and the difference in size is about 0.8 inch. And how often does the deal come up and how many in each batch? Thanks
Not sure which is better - very happy with my Dells though. Even though they're listed as refurbished my two pretty much look new to me. Have to say I don't like the look of the ViewSonic - much prefer the minimalist look of the Dells.

Quick pic for you:-

http://www.jagc.co.uk/pics/monitors.jpg

Deals come up every so often - just when they get stock from Dell. They are hoping for another small batch soon ish. I'm on their mailing list so get notified when stock comes in and generally there will be a post on here too for the deal. Numbers are limited though and they do get snapped up very quickly.
I do programming on eclipse (android Dev) and having 2 screens really helps imo. I just dont know if Ultra wide can replicate that functionality.[/quote]

It depends on how you use it really. 2560 pixels of width is a lot less than the 3840 pixels you'd get from dual monitors and you only get two screen edges to snap to rather than four.

Unless you're only using the near edge of the second monitor or find the bezel bothers you then I suspect you'll be better off with more screen space than a continuous screen.
I've tried programming with a single ultra wide and I much prefer the two monitor setup. Having the two monitors make it much simpler to have two programs at the equivalent of full screen. It is also nice to be able to angle the two screens individually which can make it a little easier to work with, rather than having a very wide monitor.
For example on my office desk I currently have a 22-24 inch (not sure which) widescreen dell monitor and a 15-17 inch packard bell tft monitor (from an old family computer). I sit facing the dell monitor straight on, and have the smaller monitor at the side at a bit of an angle. I am a PhD student so do a lot of writing in Latex, so i like the setup for having texmaker open on the main monitor and the pdf output on the smaller monitor. I was building an website last week, so had my text editor on the main screen and the page open on the smaller screen so I could glance at in when required.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants