Two cables from satellite to one TV port

Found 28th Dec 2017
I am having trouble i used to have a sky box and now i have trying to use freeview through my tv. I only have one ant port on my tv can someone help me with this
Community Updates
AskElectronics
18 Comments
Your tv needs to have a freesat tuner to be able to use any ofthe cables out of the sky box. If not you will need to use the normal tv aerial if you have one if not you will need to get one to make freeview work.
If you have only freeview then you will need a normal tv antenna, if your tv has free sat then you should be able to use one of the 2x dish cables.

you cannot use a dish as a tv antenna
you need to get another sky box, they are sold cheaply on ebay second hand. or you need a tv that has freeview receiver built in, which most modern tvs do.

you can buy a freeview box if your tv is the older style without the freeview receiver built in, but they are costly as they are no longer in much demand as i found out when i looked for one for my dad. it is better value to buy a new tv with built in freeview receiver than to buy the dinosaur freeview box.
Strictly speaking you only need the Freesat branding for the TV Guide, anything with a DVB-S2 tuner will pick up those channels from a Satellite dish.

If you have such a tuner but only one input for it then you can just use one of the cables. You'll have reduced recording ability but little else will be affected.
If your tv has freesat any one of the cables from the sky dish will work. However you will need a normal tv aerial cable for normal tele if you do not have freesat on your tv.
Thanks for all the information is there a way of finding if it has freesat?
Dean_Kelly9 m ago

Thanks for all the information is there a way of finding if it has freesat?

Check the model number on the internet or look inthe manual
If you have one input on your TV it will not have freesat, you need a TV Ariel (assuming the TV as freeview built in)
It says
  • Tuner: Freeview HD with Freeview Play
So guessing that aint freesat
Dean_Kelly16 m ago

It says Tuner: Freeview HD with Freeview PlaySo guessing that aint freesat

No it's not, you need a TV Ariel,
Edit freeview play may work through internet (not sure though)
Edited by: "shadey12" 28th Dec 2017
So the ariel that is here now that used to go into the sky box is that no good?
Dean_Kelly23 m ago

So the ariel that is here now that used to go into the sky box is that no …So the ariel that is here now that used to go into the sky box is that no good?

No. that is connected to a dish, not a TV aerial.

TV Aerial for Freeview
Sat Dish for Sky/Freesat.

You could just pick up a cheap freesat box , Humax from ebay etc..either that or get a TV aerial fitted
Dean_Kelly38 m ago

So the ariel that is here now that used to go into the sky box is that no …So the ariel that is here now that used to go into the sky box is that no good?

You may already have a TV Ariel on the roof or in the loft.
If your in a good signal area you may get away with an indoor Ariel,
As shadey said, you could use an indoor aerial like this cheap one at argos for a tenner if you cant find a main tv aerial that is either located on the roof of the building or in the loft. We have one in the loft but it has very poor signal so pretty useless. We have sky tv so it doesnt matter to us

argos.co.uk/pro…815
Dean_Kelly11 h, 15 m ago

Why have you stopped using the Sky box?
Dont use most of the channels and i use another box for the football
MIDURIX1 h, 53 m ago

Why have you stopped using the Sky box?

probably broke. they don't always last.
Dean_Kelly9 m ago

Dont use most of the channels and i use another box for the football

You don't have to have a paid subscription to use a sky box or any other freesat /satellite box. If you have the cable for satellite I wouldn't switch to something else needing an aerial.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants