Two electricity meters in one flat (Picture included)

Posted 13th Dec 2015
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why our flat has two electricity meters?

I'll try and give as much info as possible...

We moved in 4 months ago and the left meter read 22253.15 (5th Aug), and the right meter read 74581.1 (5th Aug). On the 10th of December the left meter read 23344.29 (10th Dec) and the right meter read 76472.3 (10th Dec). This is a difference of 1091.14 (left meter) and 1891.2 (right meter)

When we moved in we were told from the landlord not to worry about contacting the electricity company as they will deal with them. They said they have a complex setup.

###### EDITED######

Sorry, got to reword the statement above as I've just spoken to the other half about this. Basically I can't remember the exact wording but it is something along the lines that they have a different setup and get a really good rate, so we cant change electricity company. We forward the meter readings to the landlord, they receive the bill then forward it to us.

####################

The flat we live in is a converted house split into two flats. We occupy the downstairs flat.

Both electricity meters are clocking up and spinning at the same time, which leads me to believe that this isn't one meter for day and one for night.

I'm tempted to believe that one meter is for us and one for upstairs. Also, is it feasible that the upstairs flat doesn't have a meter, and the one on the right is the total supply, the left is for us, and you subtract the two to work out the supply for the upstairs flat? I've just been requested a few days ago to send the landlord both meter readings. If both meters are for us, that means an estimated bill of around £500 (a total of 2982kwh) for 4 months and 5 days, which is roughly £4/day. We have a gas supply and the flat isn't usually occupied during the day.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

JP

[PICTURE IN FIRST REPLY]
Community Updates
Ask
39 Comments
Post a comment