Groups

"Two viewers were concerned....."

"Two viewers were concerned....."

Seriously!!???

101 Comments

Thats a new on one me. Never ever heard that word being said in a racist way. He isn't a silly man though, if it is a racist term, I think he would have known exactly what he was doing/saying. Still, I thought more than 2 would need to complain before anything was highlighted.

Banned

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6004862208/hDD73E3BA/

Banned

JC was mildly amusing when a 30 year old 'lad'. As a fifty something he's a fool and should be put out to pasture.

Banned

I like him. It's so good to see someone who's not afraid to tell it like it is these days in this cesspool of political correctness that we have to wade through before we say anything.

The people who get offended at things like this and then go out of their way to make a complaint are just pathetic.

Remember people, offence is taken, not given!
    Edited by: "KillFelix" 28th Jul 2014

Op wtf..that was my choice of username that a mod said wasn't allowed..lol

JC should go join Ukip as a candidate MP, he would go down a storm..:)

Not going to post my comment as I know it will be removed and no reasons given

Seems that someone @ HUKD's is working @ Ofcom or the Equality and Human Rights Commission (sad that neither are doing a proper job)

Never heard that term in my life. Everyone gets offended by something

Its an old school racist comment, I've heard once or twice, but its better forgotten.

Pretty sure the BBC stated the last time it was Clarksons final warning, so what happened this time? regardless of who it offended or how little it was another racist comment by Clarkson and again he gets to keep being employed by a company that likes to cover up.

Banned

haritori

Its an old school racist comment, I've heard once or twice, but its … Its an old school racist comment, I've heard once or twice, but its better forgotten.Pretty sure the BBC stated the last time it was Clarksons final warning, so what happened this time? regardless of who it offended or how little it was another racist comment by Clarkson and again he gets to keep being employed by a company that likes to cover up.

The last time he didn't even say anything lol!

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ******* what."

- Stephen Fry

KillFelix

The last time he didn't even say anything lol!“It's now very common to h … The last time he didn't even say anything lol!“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ******* what."- Stephen Fry

Pretty sure he did, why would he say sorry if he said nothing?

Banned

haritori

Have a listen for yourself. Also bear in mind it wasn't even broadcast!

youtube.com/wat…1S4

KillFelix

The last time he didn't even say anything lol!“It's now very common to h … The last time he didn't even say anything lol!“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ******* what."- Stephen Fry

Jeremey Clarkson relies on people being offended to keep him in a job.

He shouldn't be surprised his "it was only a joke" antics backfire.

Replace him with Stewart Lee I say.

KillFelix

Have a listen for yourself. Also bear in mind it wasn't even … Have a listen for yourself. Also bear in mind it wasn't even broadcast!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hcsefsI1S4

I have and i dont know, but i dont like clarkson so i dont care lol.

Banned

komakino

Jeremey Clarkson relies on people being offended to keep him in a job.He … Jeremey Clarkson relies on people being offended to keep him in a job.He shouldn't be surprised his "it was only a joke" antics backfire.Replace him with Stewart Lee I say.

I think he relies on the world wide sales of Top Gear, really.

If you look at it, he never says anything really bad, it's just the press blow it all out of proportion as usual.

What was the one before that? Oh yeah he said in a passing comment that public sector strikers should be shot.

Is that really that offensive? I mean really?

haritori

According to him, it sounded like he did, but he didn't. Unusual show of contrition from him here.

Banned

haritori

I have and i dont know, but i dont like clarkson so i dont care lol.

So you don't care that he got hounded by the press and forced into issuing an apology for something that he really didn't do that also nearly cost him his job, purely because you don't like him?

Seems rational oO

KillFelix

I think he relies on the world wide sales of Top Gear, really.If you look … I think he relies on the world wide sales of Top Gear, really.If you look at it, he never says anything really bad, it's just the press blow it all out of proportion as usual.What was the one before that? Oh yeah he said in a passing comment that public sector strikers should be shot.Is that really that offensive? I mean really?

Well I don't find it offensive. But he knew some would, given the context. And a lot of his humour relies on that.

Offence can be intended. A lot of comedy relies on that.

Banned

komakino

Well I don't find it offensive. But he knew some would, given the … Well I don't find it offensive. But he knew some would, given the context. And a lot of his humour relies on that.Offence can be intended. A lot of comedy relies on that.

I'd say most comedy does.

It's just bonkers though. Because he has a bit of a reputation for being mildly offensive then stupidly minor things get picked up on.

It's almost as if people go looking to get offended by him, going through his every word with a fine comb.

I mean two people were concerned about a line that was broadcast 4 months ago and it makes the news. Incredible. Far more offensive things on TV every single day.
    Edited by: "KillFelix" 28th Jul 2014

KillFelix

I'd say most comedy does.It's just bonkers though. Because he has a bit … I'd say most comedy does.It's just bonkers though. Because he has a bit of a reputation for being mildly offensive then stupidly minor things get picked up on.It's almost as if people go looking to get offended by him, going through his every word with a fine comb.I mean two people were concerned about a line that was broadcast 4 months ago and it makes the news. Incredible. Far more offensive things on TV every single day.

And those two people had a point according to Ofcom.

Banned

komakino

And those two people had a point according to Ofcom.

They also said it was a scripted line so surely the BBC, as his bosses and the people that ok'd the script, are to blame?

Banned

Top rated comments on here are funny

KillFelix

They also said it was a scripted line so surely the BBC, as his bosses … They also said it was a scripted line so surely the BBC, as his bosses and the people that ok'd the script, are to blame?

Yup. He also bears partial responsibility too depending on how much input he had.

KillFelix

So you don't care that he got hounded by the press and forced into … So you don't care that he got hounded by the press and forced into issuing an apology for something that he really didn't do that also nearly cost him his job, purely because you don't like him?Seems rational oO

I was being cynical, he is part of the old institution, he is racist and prejudice generally, his comedy is for the old guys and top gears biggest audience the US simple don't get his humor so it slides fine over there... he was irrelevant a long time ago and teh BEEB insist on keeping him because they cannot see past the brand being Clarkson when in fact it isn't. i have no doubt Top Gear would be as popular if not more without him.

And yes he deserves to be hounded by the press as karma for all his racial slurs.

KillFelix

They also said it was a scripted line so surely the BBC, as his bosses … They also said it was a scripted line so surely the BBC, as his bosses and the people that ok'd the script, are to blame?

what was it our mothers used to say.....

If your friends jumped of a bridge, would you? no excuse, he coudl of refused it, and i am pretty sure he has a massive role in the scripting.

Banned

komakino

Yup. He also bears partial responsibility too depending on how much input … Yup. He also bears partial responsibility too depending on how much input he had.

True - he's not completely innocent here but I still think it's not worth kicking up a fuss about.

What also annoys me is that people are deciding what is offensive to others. I see it all the time. Non-muslims saying "This is offensive to muslims!!" or British people saying "This is offensive to South Africans" for example.

Err, that is none of their business! I think that deciding what is and what isn't offensive on behalf others is more offensive than using the slur itself.

The term in question here (that I have never personally heard of before, and a lot of people are saying the same thing) is a word used to refer to someone of Asian descent.

I'd be very interested to hear if the two people complaining were in fact of Asian descent, because I have a gut feeling they are not.

Banned

haritori

I was being cynical, he is part of the old institution, he is racist and … I was being cynical, he is part of the old institution, he is racist and prejudice generally, his comedy is for the old guys and top gears biggest audience the US simple don't get his humor so it slides fine over there... he was irrelevant a long time ago and teh BEEB insist on keeping him because they cannot see past the brand being Clarkson when in fact it isn't. i have no doubt Top Gear would be as popular if not more without him. And yes he deserves to be hounded by the press as karma for all his racial slurs.

Irrelevant? Nah. He's one of the BBC's biggest earners. His retirement from TG is fast approaching though. I'd give it 3-5 years tops.

If he ran for PM then he'd get my vote

dont think i have heard it before but he obviously knows what it means and its obviously 'slang' so not going to be positive
    assume something to do with eyes?

brilly

dont think i have heard it before but he obviously knows what it means … dont think i have heard it before but he obviously knows what it means and its obviously 'slang' so not going to be positiveassume something to do with eyes?

I believe it's the slope of the forehead used by Australians and Americans in the 1970's as a reference to Vietnamese.

I've never heard the term and watched the program and took it to mean the structural aspect of the bridge and nothing else. All this has done is now highlight that it is a derogatory term to a wider audience.

KillFelix

True - he's not completely innocent here but I still think it's not worth … True - he's not completely innocent here but I still think it's not worth kicking up a fuss about.What also annoys me is that people are deciding what is offensive to others. I see it all the time. Non-muslims saying "This is offensive to muslims!!" or British people saying "This is offensive to South Africans" for example.Err, that is none of their business! I think that deciding what is and what isn't offensive on behalf others is more offensive than using the slur itself.The term in question here (that I have never personally heard of before, and a lot of people are saying the same thing) is a word used to refer to someone of Asian descent.I'd be very interested to hear if the two people complaining were in fact of Asian descent, because I have a gut feeling they are not.

If there's no one around to hear a racial slur against them, does it stop becoming a racial slur?

I agree to a certain extent with your post but if someone *knowingly* chooses to use a racial slur, that's wrong IMO.

Being a man of the world and of a certain age (Clarkson - not me), I personally think Clarkson took a calculated risk and it didn't pay off.

Well, it did...he's still in a job.

Banned

komakino

If there's no one around to hear a racial slur against them, does it stop … If there's no one around to hear a racial slur against them, does it stop becoming a racial slur? :|I agree to a certain extent with your post but if someone *knowingly* chooses to use a racial slur, that's wrong IMO.Being a man of the world and of a certain age (Clarkson - not me), I personally think Clarkson took a calculated risk and it didn't pay off.Well, it did...he's still in a job.

Seems it depends on who says it, which is a bit racist in itself really.

I mean just search for the n-word on the music section on Amazon. It seems it's ok if black people use it, even right there on the front of their album!

"Two viewers were concerned" enough to complain, out of what, 3 million viewers?

I can think of two viewers who need to get a life.

Banned

komakino

If there's no one around to hear a racial slur against them, does it stop … If there's no one around to hear a racial slur against them, does it stop becoming a racial slur? :|I agree to a certain extent with your post but if someone *knowingly* chooses to use a racial slur, that's wrong IMO.Being a man of the world and of a certain age (Clarkson - not me), I personally think Clarkson took a calculated risk and it didn't pay off.Well, it did...he's still in a job.

Also I'm not saying that if there's no one around to hear a racial slur, I'm sure are tens of thousands of people of Asian descent that watch Top Gear. Did they complain?

Banned

deeky

"Two viewers were concerned" enough to complain, out of what, 3 million … "Two viewers were concerned" enough to complain, out of what, 3 million viewers?I can think of two viewers who need to get a life.

350 million viewers a week worldwide

haritori

Pretty sure the BBC stated the last time it was Clarksons final warning, … Pretty sure the BBC stated the last time it was Clarksons final warning, so what happened this time?

This incident predates that other incident. This is just a report by Ofcom, he hasn't done anything new.

KillFelix

350 million viewers a week worldwide

Which further emphasises my point. I was just guessing the weekly BBC2 viewing figures.

KillFelix

Seems it depends on who says it, which is a bit racist in itself really.I … Seems it depends on who says it, which is a bit racist in itself really.I mean just search for the n-word on the music section on Amazon. It seems it's ok if black people use it, even right there on the front of their album!

Yup - Chris Rock (NSFW) does an interesting skit on that.

In an ideal world no one should use that word.

But there's an historical context in which some black people try to reclaim the word from white people.

I can partially see where they're coming from.
    Edited by: "komakino" 28th Jul 2014

deeky

"Two viewers were concerned" enough to complain, out of what, 3 million … "Two viewers were concerned" enough to complain, out of what, 3 million viewers?I can think of two viewers who need to get a life.

are you saying its okay to be racist because only two people complained? (_;)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3701436
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764604
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17436162
      4. WONGA REFUNDS DUE188928

See more discussions