Two way light switch

Posted 18th Jan
So I have a upstairs light bulb and a hallway light bulb. A switch at each light controlling both at the same time. I just replaced the switches with new ones but both bulbs blew. What have I done wrong? Red com wire and 2 brown.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
I never can get my head around 2 way switches hence why my landing light can only be switched on and off from upstairs if it's in the on position down stairs it's been like this from before I moved in, you have probably put the wires back in the wrong position
Always best to take s picture, my suggestion to you both is to look on YouTube, many videos on the subject, I'm just hoping you bought the right type of replacement switches
Ignore...
Edited by: "Diggsy" 18th Jan
Are the new switches 2 way?
One of the brown wires could be live or neutral so you could be crossing the feeds.

You need a tester
Please post pictures of the light switches. No one can really help without the correct information.
Miswiring the switches would be more likely to blow a fuse or breaker, than the bulb, unless somehow a 240V circuit got connected to a low voltage bulb.

In the classic "borrowed neutral" configuration, one switch takes a live feed (com) and switches it to L1/L2 the L1/L2 run to the other switch which switches the two of them to the lamp feed.
Flawed in that it uses a live feed from the downstairs circuit (say) but borrows the neutral from the upstairs circuit - a more correct modern implementation uses 3 wires (+ earth) between the two switches so that the live and neutral are taken from the same circuit.
matth999919/01/2020 02:27

Miswiring the switches would be more likely to blow a fuse or breaker, …Miswiring the switches would be more likely to blow a fuse or breaker, than the bulb, unless somehow a 240V circuit got connected to a low voltage bulb.In the classic "borrowed neutral" configuration, one switch takes a live feed (com) and switches it to L1/L2 the L1/L2 run to the other switch which switches the two of them to the lamp feed.Flawed in that it uses a live feed from the downstairs circuit (say) but borrows the neutral from the upstairs circuit - a more correct modern implementation uses 3 wires (+ earth) between the two switches so that the live and neutral are taken from the same circuit.

Unless they're very old and too highly rated for the lighting circuit
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants