Groups

two year old saves twin from falling cabinet

I am shocked at this, both the story and the video so be warned.

Two-year-old Bowdy Shoff helped his brotherBrock from underneath a chest of drawers that fell when the twins were playing on it.

Parents Kayli and Ricky, from Utah in the United States, were hesitant to share the video, but did so in order to spread awareness about the importance of bolting down furniture.

Two-year-old saves twin brother from falling furniture - bbc.co.uk/new…647

youtu.be/Ets…IkE

60 Comments

Original Poster

to think in the 60's it was normal in some homes to use the bottom draw as a bed, well my mum did for me until she could afford a cot. I doubt very much anything was fixed to the wall then. that's one scary video and can easily happen.

I saw that. Damn lucky. Shows how resourceful and clever kids can be whilst being very naive.

Though in years to come the boy under the drawers will probably kick his brother's behind.
    Thanks for saving me but why did you crawl over me?

I love the fact that no parent came rushing in as the sound of that falling should of been loud enough for you to at least check the room.

Banned

Horrorfying

Lets hope parents learn by fixing furniture to the wall but also get a Baby monitor with sound. .

caverncity

to think in the 60's it was normal in some homes to use the bottom draw … to think in the 60's it was normal in some homes to use the bottom draw as a bed, well my mum did for me until she could afford a cot. I doubt very much anything was fixed to the wall then. that's one scary video and can easily happen.

My mum did that but in them days the furniture was solid wood and much heavier

Saves???? He climbs on top and eventually pushes it away slightly ...but ignoring that, where the **** where the parents??? Chest of drawers falling over would have been heard anywhere, even in a massive American house. Poor parenting IMO.

Indeed! Saw this earlier today. Kid trapped underneath for 2 minutes, other kid climbs on top, parents are nowhere to be seen even by the end of the video. How much longer were they alone for?!

The parents are idiots for not fixing it to the wall, not fitting child proof locks to the drawers, leaving them alone, and posting it on youtube!
    Edited by: "cdm22" 3rd Jan

YouDontWantToKnow

Horrorfying Lets hope parents learn by fixing furniture to the wall but … Horrorfying Lets hope parents learn by fixing furniture to the wall but also get a Baby monitor with sound. .

thats really handy advice, you should tell parents you know of those handy tips.

YouDontWantToKnow

Horrorfying Lets hope parents learn by fixing furniture to the wall but … Horrorfying Lets hope parents learn by fixing furniture to the wall but also get a Baby monitor with sound. .

davewave

thats really handy advice, you should tell parents you know of those … thats really handy advice, you should tell parents you know of those handy tips.

Fitting a video camera in the room so they can record/monitor their children's activities from elsewhere in the house may be a worthwhile idea too.

Oh.

japes

Saves???? He climbs on top and eventually pushes it away slightly ...but … Saves???? He climbs on top and eventually pushes it away slightly ...but ignoring that, where the **** where the parents??? Chest of drawers falling over would have been heard anywhere, even in a massive American house. Poor parenting IMO.

...and if the cabinet had been pulled towards the trapped child at the wrong time he could have lost an ear.

I blame the manufacturers of the furniture.

"There's no veneer in ear."

Banned

davewave

thats really handy advice, you should tell parents you know of those … thats really handy advice, you should tell parents you know of those handy tips.

Still in a bad mood then.

Banned

YouDontWantToKnow

davewave

Yeah. Cos the sound was just blaring out wonnit

YouDontWantToKnow

davewave

fanpages

Fitting a video camera in the room so they can record/monitor their … Fitting a video camera in the room so they can record/monitor their children's activities from elsewhere in the house may be a worthwhile idea too.Oh.

YouDontWantToKnow

Yeah. Cos the sound was just blaring out wonnit

Sorry. Try that again & make some sense. Thanks.

cdm22

Indeed! Saw this earlier today. Kid trapped underneath for 2 minutes, … Indeed! Saw this earlier today. Kid trapped underneath for 2 minutes, other kid climbs on top, parents are nowhere to be seen even by the end of the video. How much longer were they alone for?!The parents are idiots for not fixing it to the wall, not fitting child proof locks to the drawers, leaving them alone, and posting it on youtube!

I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they seem to be going with the 'miracle' angle.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they seem … I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they seem to be going with the 'miracle' angle.

Clue:

caverncity

...Parents Kayli and Ricky, from Utah in the United States, were hesitant … ...Parents Kayli and Ricky, from Utah in the United States, were hesitant to share the video, but did so in order to spread awareness about the importance of bolting down furniture...

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they seem … I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they seem to be going with the 'miracle' angle.

caverncity

...Parents Kayli and Ricky, from Utah in the United States, were … ...Parents Kayli and Ricky, from Utah in the United States, were hesitant to share the video, but did so in order to spread awareness about the importance of bolting down furniture...

If that's legitimate then they really aren't that smart. Most decent parents already know to bolt furniture to the walls. In fact child-proof drawer protectors would stop them climbing up it too.

Exposing their parenting fails to the world seems naive at best.

OMG, my heart dropped along with the drawers. oO where the hell were the parents?? The little boy looked like he was screaming his head off, how could they have not heard? I know what little kids get up to and that you can't watch them 24/7, but they (the parents) should at least be close enough to hear if/when they cry or shout out for help should something like this happen. I'm so glad he seems to be ok. oO

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they … I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they seem to be going with the 'miracle' angle.

fanpages

Clue:

caverncity

...Parents Kayli and Ricky, from Utah in the United States, were … ...Parents Kayli and Ricky, from Utah in the United States, were hesitant to share the video, but did so in order to spread awareness about the importance of bolting down furniture...

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

If that's legitimate then they really aren't that smart. Most decent … If that's legitimate then they really aren't that smart. Most decent parents already know to bolt furniture to the walls. In fact child-proof drawer protectors would stop them climbing up it too.Exposing their parenting fails to the world seems naive at best.

...and if that saves the life of another youngster, then well done to them.

[ theguardian.com/bus…ers ] (23 July 2015)

[ dailymail.co.uk/new…tml ] (20 April 2016)

[ express.co.uk/new…ths ] (28 June 2016)

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…185 ]

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they … I agree. I don't get why they'd post this on Youtube, although they seem to be going with the 'miracle' angle.

fanpages

Clue:

caverncity

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

If that's legitimate then they really aren't that smart. Most decent … If that's legitimate then they really aren't that smart. Most decent parents already know to bolt furniture to the walls. In fact child-proof drawer protectors would stop them climbing up it too.Exposing their parenting fails to the world seems naive at best.

Or maybe it'll encourage more parents to buy that video system they have. Oh wait, doesn't the father work for a company that installs them?

fanpages

...and if that saves the life of another youngster, then well done to … ...and if that saves the life of another youngster, then well done to them.[ https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jul/23/ikea-safety-alert-after-two-children-killed-by-falling-chest-of-drawers ] (23 July 2015)[ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3549208/Ikea-issues-urgent-warning-popular-range-drawers-child-crushed-death-toppling-unit.html ] (20 April 2016)[ http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/684240/Ikea-recalls-chest-of-draws-after-children-s-deaths ] (28 June 2016)[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ikea-safety-warning-malm-range-drawers-wardrobes-2434185 ]

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Or maybe it'll encourage more parents to buy that video system they have. … Or maybe it'll encourage more parents to buy that video system they have. Oh wait, doesn't the father work for a company that installs them?

You mean you've seen through the cunning "viral" video?

[ facebook.com/Viv…me/ ] | [ vivint.com/pro…ts/ ]

How cynical. Not like you at all.

YouDontWantToKnow

Still in a bad mood then.

​that dream you had wasn't real, and I don't have those sorts of feelings for you.

dalecool92

I love the fact that no parent came rushing in as the sound of that … I love the fact that no parent came rushing in as the sound of that falling should of been loud enough for you to at least check the room.

But we are not allowed (in this era) to criticise that fact as we don't know the full facts.

When I was months old my mother, who was a tailoress, left me whilst she nipped next door but one for something or a chinwag. When she returned she found me continuing to cut paper with the massive tailoring shears that I had removed from the sideboard drawer with no handles/knobs.

The paper and carpet were red probably from my left little pinky (from top joint) hanging on by a thread and my right ring finger tip completely cut off. But it was my fault for getting at the shears!

fanpages

But fail to mention where they were or why it took so long to respond

(potentially the boys could of been alone for a hour or so and all the parents needed to do to cover their a***s is edit the video clip)

As a parent you know the sound of your child's cries, but you also know a cry that means they are suffering :-/

davewave

​You two fallen out or something? Or time of the month maybe?

philphil61

But we are not allowed (in this era) to criticise that fact as we don't … But we are not allowed (in this era) to criticise that fact as we don't know the full facts.When I was months old my mother, who was a tailoress, left me whilst she nipped next door but one for something or a chinwag. When she returned she found me continuing to cut paper with the massive tailoring shears that I had removed from the sideboard drawer with no handles/knobs.The paper and carpet were red probably from my left little pinky (from top joint) hanging on by a thread and my right ring finger tip completely cut off. But it was my fault for getting at the shears!

oO I winced reading this.

Aiden1512

OMG, my heart dropped along with the drawers. oO where the hell were the … OMG, my heart dropped along with the drawers. oO where the hell were the parents?? The little boy looked like he was screaming his head off, how could they have not heard? I know what little kids get up to and that you can't watch them 24/7, but they (the parents) should at least be close enough to hear if/when they cry or shout out for help should something like this happen. I'm so glad he seems to be ok. oO:(

What I think is odd is thry seem to have a large empty chest of drawers in what I assume is a nursery Room, I've never seen anything that size its like my parents sideboard from the 70s and you cant even get sideboards that big anymore but I digress after all it is America but why have a big empty thing in a kids room

Error440

What I think is odd is thry seem to have a large empty chest of drawers … What I think is odd is thry seem to have a large empty chest of drawers in what I assume is a nursery Room, I've never seen anything that size its like my parents sideboard from the 70s and you cant even get sideboards that big anymore but I digress after all it is America but why have a big empty thing in a kids room

I didn't think of that. Perhaps it's just one of those things you buy but never actually use? Or they don't use all the drawers? We have a chest of drawers we don't use. But then again, it is in our spare room. I still can't get over how long this video went on for without an adult running into the room.

You go for a dump and all hell breaks loose and you end up on world news sites! X)

Aiden1512

I didn't think of that. Perhaps it's just one of those things you buy but … I didn't think of that. Perhaps it's just one of those things you buy but never actually use? Or they don't use all the drawers? We have a chest of drawers we don't use. But then again, it is in our spare room. I still can't get over how long this video went on for without an adult running into the room.

In this country no baby furniture is anything like that size. Still being poor has its advantages i find the whole idea of kids having their own room odd, when i had mine he was in a Moses basket next to my bed, I'm still in a 1 bed flat anyway since his dad left we share the double, used to have a fold out thing, well still do.

When my mum had kids they were in her bedroom i think she actually took the drawers out of her dressing table to use as cots tho.

Error440

In this country no baby furniture is anything like that size. Still … In this country no baby furniture is anything like that size. Still being poor has its advantages i find the whole idea of kids having their own room odd, when i had mine he was in a Moses basket next to my bed, I'm still in a 1 bed flat anyway since his dad left we share the double, used to have a fold out thing, well still do.When my mum had kids they were in her bedroom i think she actually took the drawers out of her dressing table to use as cots tho.

No way could I do that. Our son was in our room (in his own cot) until he was roughly 9 months old iirc, then he slept in his own room. Can't be having any of that me, I need undisturbed sleep. It's bad enough I have to share a bed with Mr snore X) Kids need their own space too.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

You go for a dump and all hell breaks loose and you end up on world news … You go for a dump and all hell breaks loose and you end up on world news sites! X)

The journalists are just going through the motions to find another story.

philphil61

But we are not allowed (in this era) to criticise that fact as we don't … But we are not allowed (in this era) to criticise that fact as we don't know the full facts.When I was months old my mother, who was a tailoress, left me whilst she nipped next door but one for something or a chinwag. When she returned she found me continuing to cut paper with the massive tailoring shears that I had removed from the sideboard drawer with no handles/knobs.The paper and carpet were red probably from my left little pinky (from top joint) hanging on by a thread and my right ring finger tip completely cut off. But it was my fault for getting at the shears!

Aiden1512

oO I winced reading this.

Don't read the comment (#12) in the thread below, then:

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…900 ]

Error440

In this country no baby furniture is anything like that size.

That's the silliest comment on this thread - and anyway who said you can't have ordinary furniture in a nursery?

VDisillusioned

That's the silliest comment on this thread - and anyway who said you … That's the silliest comment on this thread - and anyway who said you can't have ordinary furniture in a nursery?

That video
    Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 4th Jan

japes

Saves???? He climbs on top and eventually pushes it away slightly ...but … Saves???? He climbs on top and eventually pushes it away slightly ...but ignoring that, where the **** where the parents??? Chest of drawers falling over would have been heard anywhere, even in a massive American house. Poor parenting IMO.

If a chest of drawers fell over in my furthest children's bedroom and I was in the back living room, with all the doors closed, it would be quite unlikely that I would hear it. If I was in the shower or had music on then no chance. Which is why we had a baby monitor, and actually an image only IP camera setup long before they became popular, when the kids were little.

But cut the people some slack, they didn't recognise the danger of an unattached chest of drawers, and let's face it how many people do identify dangers in innocent household objects? Especially in this "health and safety gone mad!" culture we live in where people take ridiculous risks every day, good on them for overcoming their embarrassment and getting people to think and talk about a simple but potentially fatal risk. If it saves one life across the world then good on them!
    Edited by: "VDisillusioned" 4th Jan

I blame the BBC or the Remoaners!

Error440

That video

What the one this thread is about? and?

Error440

In this country no baby furniture is anything like that size.

VDisillusioned

That's the silliest comment on this thread - and anyway who said you … That's the silliest comment on this thread - and anyway who said you can't have ordinary furniture in a nursery?

Error440

That video

VDisillusioned

What the one this thread is about? and?

...and you need to re-read the above quotes, then apply lateral thinking.

Well played, Error'

Graham1979

I blame the BBC or the Remoaners!

Falling cabinet; failing Cabinet.

Same difference.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Easyjet - book now or wait?34
      2. Dell Outlet Alternatives22
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1224
      4. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay1017

See more discussions