Type 11, 21 or 22 Radiators?

Found 24th Sep 2017
Hi

In market for some radiators but which type is 'best'.

Not too fussed about style more practicality and the 'best heat' ... is 22 best for efficiency and heat?

Looking to get some radiators that will be 'warmest' and give good heat and be efficient ... if there is such a thing

When searching it asks what type of price ...

I need one for living room and one for the front living room.

Living room one will go on a wall behind sofa ... and the front one will go under window sill (Helps with keeping walls dry i've been told) ...

Whats the 'best' type to go for?
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Terminology: Type XY The first digit indicates X panel(s), second digit Y convector(s) [ridged metal fins on back of radiator]

Hence 11 = Single panel, single convector, [EDIT - should read Type 21, not 12] 12 = double panel, single convector, 22 = double panel, double convector.

So you are getting a greater heat output from a Type 22 (more heat exchange area) and a lowest heat output from Type 11.

Putting a couch in front of a radiator can restrict natural ventilation and reduce the performance of the radiator. Think about getting a cheap fan to put on the floor to blow air across the radiator when the room is at it's coldest - this will speed up warming the room.
Edited by: "Van1973" 25th Sep 2017
Van197310 h, 5 m ago

Terminology: Type XY The first digit indicates X panel(s), second digit Y …Terminology: Type XY The first digit indicates X panel(s), second digit Y convector(s) [ridged metal fins on back of radiator]Hence 11 = Single panel, single convector, 12 = double panel, single convector, 22 = double panel, double convector.So you are getting a greater heat output from a Type 22 (more heat exchange area) and a lowest heat output from Type 11.Putting a couch in front of a radiator can restrict natural ventilation and reduce the performance of the radiator. Think about getting a cheap fan to put on the floor to blow air across the radiator when the room is at it's coldest - this will speed up warming the room.

Would a 12 not be a single panel and double convector? Going by your description? Not being picky, I'm just in the market for radiators myself.

A side not for OP. Check Screwfix at the moment, they have some decent prices on certain radiators and some come with a free TRV.
Rusty8228 m ago

Would a 12 not be a single panel and double convector? Going by your …Would a 12 not be a single panel and double convector? Going by your description? Not being picky, I'm just in the market for radiators myself.A side not for OP. Check Screwfix at the moment, they have some decent prices on certain radiators and some come with a free TRV.

Typo - corrected above, should have been type 21. Thanks
Van19738 m ago

Typo - corrected above, should have been type 21. Thanks

If buying radiators I like the Myson Premier type with the round top - in my opinion look much better than the Screwfix Kudox type that is the same at the top and bottom with the pressed ridge - also no 'shelf' to collect dust. I also don't like the grills which fit on top of the Screwfix type radiators as these are just going to get damaged over the years and look awful.

I also prefer Type 21 rather than type 22 if not fitting a shelf above - as type 22 standout from the wall a bit further. I would only use a type 22 if I was short of wall space to fit the necessary size radiator in.

It is a balance to get both the aesthetics and heat efficiency right.

Can often get radiators on ebay/gumtree that just need a sand down and paint very cheap!
Van19739 h, 19 m ago

If buying radiators I like the Myson Premier type with the round top - in …If buying radiators I like the Myson Premier type with the round top - in my opinion look much better than the Screwfix Kudox type that is the same at the top and bottom with the pressed ridge - also no 'shelf' to collect dust. I also don't like the grills which fit on top of the Screwfix type radiators as these are just going to get damaged over the years and look awful.I also prefer Type 21 rather than type 22 if not fitting a shelf above - as type 22 standout from the wall a bit further. I would only use a type 22 if I was short of wall space to fit the necessary size radiator in.It is a balance to get both the aesthetics and heat efficiency right.Can often get radiators on ebay/gumtree that just need a sand down and paint very cheap!

Some good points. I've opted for a type 22 as I have had to go for a smaller radiator to fit on a new wall so wanted to maximise efficiency. I don't mind the thickness of it overall as it's much nicer looking than the one it is replacing. Thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions