Groups

types of enthernet cable

hey everyone

I thought all Ethernet cables were the same but that might not be true.

ive got a devolo powerline adapter hooked up to me shield but the Ethernet is not as good as I thought it would, meaning wired connection. I thought all Ethernet wires were the same but do you get different types? ive been using a Ethernet cable that came with a NAS drive but its not as reliable as I thought and have switched back to wifi.

if there is a specific type of Ethernet cable I should be using, any advice on which one please.

thanks

11 Comments

You get different wiring. Patch and crossover. Nowadays you're unlikely to come across crossover, although most devices are capable of detecting and working with either type.

You also get cat5, 5e, 6 and 7 etc. Cat 6 is what I'd recommend. This is slightly thicker than cat5 and capable of running at higher speeds. Cat 7 won't be mainstream for some time yet.

Original Poster

BeerDrinker

You get different wiring. Patch and crossover. Nowadays you're unlikely … You get different wiring. Patch and crossover. Nowadays you're unlikely to come across crossover, although most devices are capable of detecting and working with either type.You also get cat5, 5e, 6 and 7 etc. Cat 6 is what I'd recommend. This is slightly thicker than cat5 and capable of running at higher speeds. Cat 7 won't be mainstream for some time yet.

thanks for the response. appreciated. just need to google the size differences to see which ones I actually have.

Cat 5e is perfectly capable of high speeds and so unless the cable is faulty you will probably find that you powerline adapter is the cause of slow speeds more than the cabling.

It is possible sometimes for some wires to become damaged causing a device to revert from 1Gbit to only 100Mbit too but it depends what your powerline adapters speed is anyway. A fully wired CAT 5e cable will give you 1Gbit but if your powerline is say 300Mbit then that is where the bottleneck will be.

Original Poster

CyDoNiA

Cat 5e is perfectly capable of high speeds and so unless the cable is … Cat 5e is perfectly capable of high speeds and so unless the cable is faulty you will probably find that you powerline adapter is the cause of slow speeds more than the cabling.It is possible sometimes for some wires to become damaged causing a device to revert from 1Gbit to only 100Mbit too but it depends what your powerline adapters speed is anyway. A fully wired CAT 5e cable will give you 1Gbit but if your powerline is say 300Mbit then that is where the bottleneck will be.

aye, could be the cable tbh. any reliable ebay sellers who do genuine cat6 cables?

Make your own, very satisfying once you get the hang of it

Original Poster

just found a couple of cat5e cables, brand new so will test them out and see how they work out. thanks for the help guys.

It's more likely to be the fact that powerline adapters are junk rather than the cables themselves.

I got Devolo dLAN 500 recently and it does 60Mb on speedtest when connected to it but I can pull 100+ over Wifi. Using the cables they supplied which were cat5e.

Likely going back where it came from and sticking with wifi. Highly unlikely it's the cable, these are designed for maximum of 100Mbps from single port and I guess the expensive 1Gbps capable ones are the decent ones.

Edited by: "kiish" 23rd Sep 2016

dcx_badass

It's more likely to be the fact that powerline adapters are junk rather … It's more likely to be the fact that powerline adapters are junk rather than the cables themselves.

Don't know who downvoted this but this is the answer, signal loss through the powerline adapters, either faulty adaptor or house wiring causing an issue. An ethernet cable tends to work or not rather than go slow.

What you need is a really long ethernet cat5e or cat6 cable to connect between your modem/router/switch to your shield.

Also, be very wary of very cheap 5e/6 cables. They'll more than likely be Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) than authentic copper. Massive difference from the real thing and you'll be banging your head wondering what's going on.

Pops
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944504
      2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983131
      3. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1932
      4. word survey1114

See more discussions