Typical cost of boiler installation

Found 18th Oct 2017
Looking at having a new boiler installed but not sure who to use or more importantly the cost.
Be very grateful if anyone can help.
Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Depends on a lot of factors, eg what type of boiler (Combi or condensing regular), how many rads it needs to feed, whether any pipes need to be re-routed, whether you need a new thermostat, where you are located, and probably more.
We were quoted between £2k - £3k for a condensing regular boiler in the SE.
I would suggest check your local trading standards website for a list of trusted installers and getting a few quotes.
Thank you for your reply Ar460rn.
Not sure what it is we need. Have someone calling round next week for a quote.
I am in Yorkshire.
I will check the local trading standards and thank you for the heads up on that.
The installer has to be Gas Safe registered - this ensures some quality.

For a reasonably straight forward installation, replacing an existing boiler with minimum pipework changes then you should be able to get an independent plumber to supply and install for something just under £2k. If you were to use British Gas then the cost would likely be £3-£3,5k. Always worth getting a few quotes as prices vary depending upon how busy the plumber is.

In addition to what Ar460rn has advised some plumbers will recommend a power flush of the system which they'll want to charge around £200 for. This will be when you're replacing an old cast iron boiler on an old radiator system - some new boilers require this for their warranty.
Do you have a hot water tank in your airing cupboard or loft? If not, and you get instant hot water, you've probably got a Combi. If you do have a tank, it will likely be a regular boiler. You can convert to a combi but that would probably work out more. One thing to look out for - if you have a power shower and a regular boiler at the moment, you would probably need a new head unit for the shower if you converted to combi.
Buywithconfidence is the site I was thinking of.
Get quotes from local suppliers but not British Gas whose prices I have found to be the highest by far.
Get 3 quotes. The boiler can vary in price as well as install. You should have a power flush, which will be additional cost. Also depends where you are in the country for labour cost. Can be very different depending on where you are
mutley19 h, 32 m ago

Get 3 quotes. The boiler can vary in price as well as install. You …Get 3 quotes. The boiler can vary in price as well as install. You should have a power flush, which will be additional cost. Also depends where you are in the country for labour cost. Can be very different depending on where you are

I wouldn't just go doing a powerflush
peterkay119 h, 52 m ago

I wouldn't just go doing a powerflush

Can I ask why not?
Ar460rn21 h, 52 m ago

Do you have a hot water tank in your airing cupboard or loft? If not, and …Do you have a hot water tank in your airing cupboard or loft? If not, and you get instant hot water, you've probably got a Combi. If you do have a tank, it will likely be a regular boiler. You can convert to a combi but that would probably work out more. One thing to look out for - if you have a power shower and a regular boiler at the moment, you would probably need a new head unit for the shower if you converted to combi.Buywithconfidence is the site I was thinking of.

Yes we do have a hot water tank and a gravity fed hot water system and are looking to change to a combi boiler.
Partly because our next job is getting our bathroom updated including new shower but thanks for the heads up on that.
mrsgm7126 m ago

Can I ask why not?

Because power flushing is a generally not required and a bit of scam, a way to make a bit more profit on the job. Can do just as good a flush with mains water , and if it's that filled with sludge I would take each rad off and flush it outside.
A power flush should take around 6hrs so of your plumber is saying he can powerflush and fit a boiler in a day he's not doing a full flush.
mrsgm7127 m ago

Can I ask why not?

Loads of reasons
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants