Typical cost of boiler installation

Found 18th Oct 2017
Looking at having a new boiler installed but not sure who to use or more importantly the cost.
Be very grateful if anyone can help.
Thank you.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

Depends on a lot of factors, eg what type of boiler (Combi or condensing regular), how many rads it needs to feed, whether any pipes need to be re-routed, whether you need a new thermostat, where you are located, and probably more.
We were quoted between £2k - £3k for a condensing regular boiler in the SE.
I would suggest check your local trading standards website for a list of trusted installers and getting a few quotes.

Original Poster

Thank you for your reply Ar460rn.
Not sure what it is we need. Have someone calling round next week for a quote.
I am in Yorkshire.
I will check the local trading standards and thank you for the heads up on that.

The installer has to be Gas Safe registered - this ensures some quality.

For a reasonably straight forward installation, replacing an existing boiler with minimum pipework changes then you should be able to get an independent plumber to supply and install for something just under £2k. If you were to use British Gas then the cost would likely be £3-£3,5k. Always worth getting a few quotes as prices vary depending upon how busy the plumber is.

In addition to what Ar460rn has advised some plumbers will recommend a power flush of the system which they'll want to charge around £200 for. This will be when you're replacing an old cast iron boiler on an old radiator system - some new boilers require this for their warranty.

Do you have a hot water tank in your airing cupboard or loft? If not, and you get instant hot water, you've probably got a Combi. If you do have a tank, it will likely be a regular boiler. You can convert to a combi but that would probably work out more. One thing to look out for - if you have a power shower and a regular boiler at the moment, you would probably need a new head unit for the shower if you converted to combi.
Buywithconfidence is the site I was thinking of.

Get quotes from local suppliers but not British Gas whose prices I have found to be the highest by far.

Get 3 quotes. The boiler can vary in price as well as install. You should have a power flush, which will be additional cost. Also depends where you are in the country for labour cost. Can be very different depending on where you are

mutley19 h, 32 m ago

Get 3 quotes. The boiler can vary in price as well as install. You …Get 3 quotes. The boiler can vary in price as well as install. You should have a power flush, which will be additional cost. Also depends where you are in the country for labour cost. Can be very different depending on where you are

I wouldn't just go doing a powerflush

Original Poster

peterkay119 h, 52 m ago

I wouldn't just go doing a powerflush

Can I ask why not?

Original Poster

Ar460rn21 h, 52 m ago

Do you have a hot water tank in your airing cupboard or loft? If not, and …Do you have a hot water tank in your airing cupboard or loft? If not, and you get instant hot water, you've probably got a Combi. If you do have a tank, it will likely be a regular boiler. You can convert to a combi but that would probably work out more. One thing to look out for - if you have a power shower and a regular boiler at the moment, you would probably need a new head unit for the shower if you converted to combi.Buywithconfidence is the site I was thinking of.

Yes we do have a hot water tank and a gravity fed hot water system and are looking to change to a combi boiler.
Partly because our next job is getting our bathroom updated including new shower but thanks for the heads up on that.

mrsgm7126 m ago

Can I ask why not?

Because power flushing is a generally not required and a bit of scam, a way to make a bit more profit on the job. Can do just as good a flush with mains water , and if it's that filled with sludge I would take each rad off and flush it outside.
A power flush should take around 6hrs so of your plumber is saying he can powerflush and fit a boiler in a day he's not doing a full flush.

mrsgm7127 m ago

Can I ask why not?

Loads of reasons
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions