Tyre Advice needed please

Found 29th Jul
Hi I have a BMW 3 series 2015 my current tyre depth is 3mm all round. I know the legal limit is 1.6mm but have been advised to change them before my mot as it could result in an advisory. I have no idea what is right and what is wrong also what all the numbers after the size mean I.e y,w. Also the load index what’s that? I currently have Pirelli p zero run flats front 225 40 R19 and back 255 35 R19. I have asked around for decent used and the price is coming around £100 per tyre but all 4 will not be the same. Fully fitted new is what I would prefer so far the best price I have found is on openeo but they are not fitted.

All help and guidance very much appreciated. I prefer run flats. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
So what if you get an advisory? 3mm is still enough to last a fair while.
I bought a set of used alloys with tyres m sport, for £300 And they all had 7mm tread. Might be cheaper to look at something like that, even if you then sell the alloys separate.
225 is the width of your tyre
40 is the profile of the tyre (from end of alloy to end of tyre)
19 is the size of the alloy

19 inch tyres are not cheap unfortunately. I also wouldn’t skimp on tyres (get new ones and be prepared to pay). People take them for granted. It’s one of the main things keeping you gripped to the road.
I have brand new Avon tyres (18’s) on my Audi which cost me £350 for a full set, they come with a lifetime puncture repair service. So may be worth shopping around to see what deals are possibly available in your area.
Edited by: "_Whatever_" 29th Jul
I wouldn’t worry about getting an advisory, it is just a note to say we advise your keep an eye on this and take action. However if the tyre walls are cracked or misshapen change the tyres immediately and this would cause MOT failure (not an advisory).

As said above NEVER skimp on tyres, they help keep you gripped to the road and they are a significant factor in stopping distances (in an emergency they can often be the difference between you stopping or having a low speed collision vs not stopping or having a higher speed collision), cheaper tyres also wear much more quickly so it’s often a false economy, they often use cheaper materials increasing the chances of blowouts.

If you want to buy your tyres try and prebook them online ATS/Blackcircles/Kwikfit it’s usually a lot cheaper than just popping in there.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 29th Jul
master1011 m ago

So what if you get an advisory? 3mm is still enough to last a fair while.I …So what if you get an advisory? 3mm is still enough to last a fair while.I bought a set of used alloys with tyres m sport, for £300 And they all had 7mm tread. Might be cheaper to look at something like that, even if you then sell the alloys separate.

Thanks for your reply where did you find this deal as it is a good option.
We have a 5 series GT and have expensive run flats too. We tend to find Asda are cheapest and the bonus is we have 5 or 6 ATS/indie garages that are part of their fitting network.
Was it a garage that advised you change the tyres now? Looks like they are trying to just get extra money from you. The tyres are legal and you won’t fail the mot on an advi
My local garage advised me that the tyre depth was low. I then took it to a kwikfit and they said the same touting for business I guess but I was not sure. In terms of manufacturers Pirelli is what I have and combined with the 19” alloys and the msport performance handles nice. Out of interest what would bmw charge if i asked them to change.
Tyres are weird and perish due to age and lack of use. I've been told that average age to replace is around 5 years even if the tyres have very little use. I'm surprised that tyres don't have manufacturer dates as they definitely perish. I wouldn't buy 2nd hand due to this and I would recommend buying from a company that turns over that tyre quickly so you don't end up with stock that had been on the shelf for months. I was even advised to replace my spare as it's over 10 years old now and been left in the boot unused is probably not safe for its rated speed.
DealsRus12 m ago

My local garage advised me that the tyre depth was low. I then took it to …My local garage advised me that the tyre depth was low. I then took it to a kwikfit and they said the same touting for business I guess but I was not sure. In terms of manufacturers Pirelli is what I have and combined with the 19” alloys and the msport performance handles nice. Out of interest what would bmw charge if i asked them to change.

The 1.6 is the legal limit it doesn’t mean you will get the best performance out of the tyre the more tread the better. Have a look at the likes of blackcircle or mytyres but avoid kwikfit. Two things to never scrimp on, tyres and brakes
Tyres have the date of manufacture on them in this example the date is Week 14 and the Year is 20(13)

34528907-Se0BQ.jpg
if there are only 3 numbers then it means the tyre was made before the Year 2000 and should be replaced ASAP !
Edited by: "Tricks" 29th Jul
As others have said, it is an advisory. You don't appear to have been given notice of uneven tyre wear. It is common for tyres to wear unevenly and thus create the need for a replacement. I find Honestjohn.co.uk useful on such qquestions honestjohn.co.uk/new…ar/
DealsRus2 h, 17 m ago

Thanks for your reply where did you find this deal as it is a good option.

I bought them off eBay, plenty of people upgrade alloys and want rid.
It was a garage near Middlesborough who do bodywork upgrades etc, AMS vehicles I think it was called. Really good guys tbf.
Edited by: "master10" 29th Jul
3mm is OK, but I would be keeping a close eye on them. A new tyre has around 8mm of tread and wet braking performance drops off badly as they get below 3mm - hence the advisory note you've been given.

Its easier to get a set of alloys and tyres in smaller sizes since most people want the cosmetics of bigger wheels despite the fact that this tends to give worse handling and comfort. (Also I'm not a fan of pzero - they were terrible on my 911)

The other point is that runflats are notoriously bad in terms of handling/grip and comfort. I replaced them with normal tyres on my 3 series and went down in wheel size to get far better comfort and handling.
_Whatever_29th Jul

225 is the width of your tyre 40 is the profile of the tyre (from end of …225 is the width of your tyre 40 is the profile of the tyre (from end of alloy to end of tyre) 19 is the size of the alloy

For complete accuracy.
225 is the width in mm so 22.5cm
40 is the profile (thickness) of the tyre as a % of the width so 90mm or 9cm
19 is the wheel diameter in inches.

On your rear, 255/35 gives a profile of 89.25mm so you can see that the rolling circumference of front and rear is going to be the same. Actual tyre widths vary between brands and individual tyres and the real world profile varies depending on the width of the wheel it is fitted to.
mas991 h, 6 m ago

3mm is OK, but I would be keeping a close eye on them. A new tyre has …3mm is OK, but I would be keeping a close eye on them. A new tyre has around 8mm of tread and wet braking performance drops off badly as they get below 3mm - hence the advisory note you've been given.Its easier to get a set of alloys and tyres in smaller sizes since most people want the cosmetics of bigger wheels despite the fact that this tends to give worse handling and comfort. (Also I'm not a fan of pzero - they were terrible on my 911)The other point is that runflats are notoriously bad in terms of handling/grip and comfort. I replaced them with normal tyres on my 3 series and went down in wheel size to get far better comfort and handling.

Thanks for the reply what manufacturer would you recommend? When you replaced your pzero who did you go with?
DealsRus1 h, 41 m ago

Thanks for the reply what manufacturer would you recommend? When you …Thanks for the reply what manufacturer would you recommend? When you replaced your pzero who did you go with?

I went to michelin pilot sport, I know they're expensive but I've never had a poor michelin tyre. I found the PZeros terrible in cold or wet weather. On a three series I'd look at michelin primacy.

On my 3 series I tried continental, goodyear and bridgestone. The goodyears were cheapest but didnt last very long at all. The bridgestones were the original runflats and weren't great. The continentals were OK - contisport.

Have a look at :
tyrereviews.co.uk/
tyrereviews.co.uk/Art…htm

Look up specific tyres and check the tests - I'd treat the individual reviews with caution, all the people who only do motorway driving or running low powered fiestas skew stuff but the german comparison tests tend to be good ADAC is the german equivilent of the AA/RAC but much better. AutoBild is a german motoring magazine
Edited by: "mas99" 29th Jul
DealsRus5 h, 5 m ago

My local garage advised me that the tyre depth was low. I then took it to …My local garage advised me that the tyre depth was low. I then took it to a kwikfit and they said the same touting for business I guess but I was not sure. In terms of manufacturers Pirelli is what I have and combined with the 19” alloys and the msport performance handles nice. Out of interest what would bmw charge if i asked them to change.

BMW will try and charge a fortune. We have two main dealer BMW garages near us but one of them does price match and will match the internet sites. I usually only don't go with them if it's urgent as they tend to take 2-3 days to get a tyre in and me in to get it fitted.
Still legal at 3mm assuming 2/3rd of width is ok , but braking and performance will be deteriorated, it’s summer so definitely replace before the onset of winter.
I’d not want to be driving around on 3mm when it’s wet and icy
First person I have encountered who prefers runflats on a BMW.
My 320d is in need of four 205/60R16's, is there an easy way to identify runflats when searching online? Is there any online supplier with fitting that is cheaper than blackcircle? I run Bridgestones at the moment, how do these compare to other makes?
Is it true that once a BMW has had run flats on, its recommendable to replace with run flats? I bought a 2014 1 series 118d early last year and recently just spent £360 on x4 Hancook RF'S (trade price, which I didn't think that was bad considering they were brand new.. Just a shame diamond cut alloys are not a cheap replacement or fix.
I’ve just arranged for continental sport contact 5 run flats to be fitted tomorrow, ended up going to a local garage.
Out of interest what tyre pressure would people recommend. Only me and my wife and hardly any load. 225 40 19 front and 255 35 19 Rear continental sport contact 5 Run Flats.
Edited by: "DealsRus" 30th Jul
DealsRus8 h, 35 m ago

I’ve just arranged for continental sport contact 5 run flats to be fitted t …I’ve just arranged for continental sport contact 5 run flats to be fitted tomorrow, ended up going to a local garage.

Let us know how you find the continentals once you've done a few miles, am considering them for my 320.
Had the continental contact 5’s for a few days so far they feel really good. Responsive and smooth Sunday I have a trip planned for a few 100 miles so will have better feedback then. I also had tracking, alignment and wheel balancing. Fitted from Goodwin Tyres in Essex excellent service. Paid £900 all in
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants