Tyre Puncture (10 mm Bolt) - Hot Vulcanised Repair

Found 9th Jul 2015
Hi, This morning I had a tyre puncture as 10 mm bolt has gone into it. See photo below.

I contacted Kwit-Fit & national tyres this morning & they advised me the tyre can't be repaired using standard plugging method but there is a possibility by using the Hot Vulcanised Repair Method.

I have contacted Red Path Tyres in Edinburgh & they do carry out tyre puncture repairs using Hot Vulcanised Repair Method for approximately £35 (2-3 days as they have to send the tyre away).

Has anyone used this method to get their tyre repaired?

Any pros & cons I need to consider?

Are there any repair shops nearby or with in Livingston which do use this method as I can't find anyone online ?

I just got them fitted a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you.
Community Updates
AskTyres
12 Comments
Original Poster
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah204/jamilayz/20150709_122950_zpsyopsnisa.jpg
I've heard of the method before and with a little research i was told its sometimes not worth the hassle.

Curious to what car you drive and your tyre size?

Please never use KWIKFIT, them along with halfords are a bunch of thieves with a brand name backing them, it maybe worth getting the tyre replaced all together, depending on what size you need will factor cost but sizes such as 205/55/r16 V are as cheap as £40 fitted on websites such as blackcircles.com and auto-tyres
Original Poster
JLA92

I've heard of the method before and with a little research i was told its … I've heard of the method before and with a little research i was told its sometimes not worth the hassle.Curious to what car you drive and your tyre size?Please never use KWIKFIT, them along with halfords are a bunch of thieves with a brand name backing them, it maybe worth getting the tyre replaced all together, depending on what size you need will factor cost but sizes such as 205/55/r16 V are as cheap as £40 fitted on websites such as blackcircles.com and auto-tyres

Hi, I just got them fitted recently as the rear ones are 265/35/R18 97Y MO.

The cheapest I can find online are Pirelli P Zero for nearly £145 fitted.

Any other suggestions ?
Yes. It's been used on commercial tyres for years. But I think if you took an normal tyres repair shop the could fix it.
ebay.co.uk/itm…c2b

I would stay away from kwikfit etc as they would rather they sell u another tyre then repair it. And a week later u probably find it repaired and for sale on eBay by one of there staff.
It probably be a good idea to purchase the puncture repair kit of eBay as not many garages will stock a 10mm repair kit.
Edited by: "kash2013" 9th Jul 2015
kash2013

I would stay away from kwikfit etc as they would rather they sell u … I would stay away from kwikfit etc as they would rather they sell u another tyre then repair it. And a week later u probably find it repaired and for sale on eBay by one of there staff.

This guy knows whats up
Do you know what goes in to tyres and the layers material? A puncture like that is likely to have disrupted them all.

The tyre is compromised, no matter how the hole is filled or repaired it wont be the same. I assume you purchased the P-zero's to compliment either b/c you are a driver and want the best from the tyre for the car or just to match the original. If its the first just replace the tyre.

This quick vid shows you the layers and make up of a modern tyre, in this case Toyo Proxies CF2 and after about 8 seconds you will see why a repair leaves you with a crappy tyre that compromises all the qualities the £145 you spent on it leaving you with £145 + repair cost of total naff tyre.

youtube.com/wat…age
Original Poster
So what do you suggest ? Repair or buy a new one ?
New is always the best option, use an online provider like black circles or go local and you'll get it at the right price.

to continue my never ending campaign against kwikfit, recently needed both fronts of my Alfa Romeo Guillieta changing due to wear and tried my luck at a kwikfit center nearby, was quoted Good year tyres at £60 a wheel on my car so £120 for both by the manager, popped in saw they had a 25% of 2 tyres purchased, asked the manager he said yep should be £90 for the full shabang. 20 mins later after grabbing a sandwhich they had done one tyre and forgot to ask me to pay, went to pay and he wanted £137 for both tyres after discount i refused and made them remove the tyre and i left.

Price of the whole ordeal : £3.20 (chicken and bacon sandwhich), Look on the mechanics face when i told him to remove the tyre : Priceless
Personally,I would buy a new one.
jamilayz

So what do you suggest ? Repair or buy a new one ?

New.
Original Poster
Thanks Everyone.
check out tyreleader, camskill and oponeo
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants