Tyres, when to change them

Posted 12th Jan
Hi there,

I got a car in November 2019 after taking just over a years break from driving. All is good with it, however I am a little worried/paranoid about my tyres.

A few weeks after getting the car I got a garage to do a little check on my tyres just to see if they were okay. They said the treads were absolutely fine but he was concerned about the age of them as they said 2011/2012 and also there was a slight mark on one of them. He said they were fine though and this was nothing to worry about, just that the garage would recommend as a company to change tyres every 5 years. He said I didn't need anything done as of yet.

I can't help but worry about this and am not sure what to do to be honest. :/ Could anyone advise?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

16 Comments
Different views ranging from 6 years to 10.
I would change them, if only to give you peace of mind.
Is there any visible cracks or other damaged too the tyres, these days the rubber used isn't as good as the old days. So sometimes the rubber cracks if there's no big cracks or other visible damage they will be fine. I have seen tyres 30+ years old and no issues that was when I went too get my mot done at a place that deals in sports cars and the guy showed me that my tires needed changing as the tread had started splitting where the tyre tread edge meets the road. He showed me really a really old sports car and said the tyres these days aren't as good as they use too he 30-40+ years agom
Edited by: "MynameisM" 12th Jan
If the garage checked and there fine then you should be ok if there is any sign of cracking etc I’m sure they would have advised you of this & recommended to get them changed. I had a google search and a few manufacturers recommend 10 years for replacement regardless of tread.
It really is upto yourself if you’d feel better then get them changed but doubt the ones you have will fall off anytime soon.
send the question in an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk for some sensible advice
Didn't know car tyres had manufactured date on them, you live and learn!
ccnp12/01/2020 15:49

send the question in an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk for some …send the question in an email to letters@honestjohn.co.uk for some sensible advice

Has a page on the subject already. Click here
esar12/01/2020 15:56

Yes it’s a 4 digit code fist 2 numbers are week of the year & the 2nd 2 are year of manufacture.
Few months ago, as part of service, dealer checked tyres & advised rears had cracks in them .. I asked if illegal (rather than dangerous) they said no & so I opted not to fork out for new .. fronts now needed changing due to normal wear & like you condition of rears as reported had played on my mind .. so, just got all 4 replaced and am pleased as it feels like when you get new pair of trainers
I always thought this was a simple one. If they have cracks starting to appear along the side wall the tyres are up for replacement as the outer wall is beginning to perish. Sometimes it is a sign that the tyre has been run under inflated for a time or even run flat.
If you’re unhappy or worried change them.
My own tyres are down to 3mm and I will be changing them in a week or two.
What size tyres are they, do you want cheap or branded tyres ?.
delivered and get fitted yourself or fully fitted.
let us know and I will have a look round for you.
If it’s just the tread you’re unsure of, I have one of these to check my car - I do about 25/30k a year and this has been extremely handy

Gaoni Digital Tyre Tread Depth Gauge - 0-25.4mm/1Inch Portable Tread Depth Checker Tyre Depth Measure with LCD Display for Cars, Vans, Trucks amazon.co.uk/dp/…PTA
The tricky bit with aged tyres is guessing the condition of the steel belts inside them; Perished rubber can allow water and road salts to corrode the belts. Bit like your exhaust though, shiny for one year, rusty for ages.... then one day, it drops off. Just guessing when it's going to go!

If you drive fairly enthusiastically and/or are at the upper end of the speed limits most of the time, I'd change sooner rather than later. That said, if you hammer the car and do average miles you'll usually wear them out first anyway.
sohailh198412/01/2020 19:56

If it’s just the tread you’re unsure of, I have one of these to check my ca …If it’s just the tread you’re unsure of, I have one of these to check my car - I do about 25/30k a year and this has been extremely handy Gaoni Digital Tyre Tread Depth Gauge - 0-25.4mm/1Inch Portable Tread Depth Checker Tyre Depth Measure with LCD Display for Cars, Vans, Trucks https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08131W111/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2M3gEbJG9YPTA

Once I learned of tread depth marks, never bothered with gauges, see this picture screen grab from Halfords web site
39661984-zrwn1.jpg
Also depends on tyre brand/quality...
I have seen 3 year old tyres with 'age'!! cracking/splitting..DANGEROUS!
So, what car are we dealing with, what brand of tyres is it on now? what type of driving do you do...
REMEMBER not all tyre defects show out till after they fail...!
A tyre contact area is approx size of your palm!...car weighs X your driving at XX speed, look at your palm now, it ain't much between car and road....seriously, IF any doubt....change for peace of mind, be careful on brands though..some are CR#P
Ask the folks on here, or fit original fitment tyre brand/patterns... occasionally tyres are designed for a specific car(usually top end stuff, but not always..)
esar12/01/2020 15:56

Yes all car tyres have the week number and year stamped on them in a 4 digit format, I always check the date when I have them fitted to make sure they was manufactured less than 6 months ago otherwise I get them to replace them again
renoman13/01/2020 17:18

Also depends on tyre brand/quality...I have seen 3 year old tyres with …Also depends on tyre brand/quality...I have seen 3 year old tyres with 'age'!! cracking/splitting..DANGEROUS!So, what car are we dealing with, what brand of tyres is it on now? what type of driving do you do...REMEMBER not all tyre defects show out till after they fail...!A tyre contact area is approx size of your palm!...car weighs X your driving at XX speed, look at your palm now, it ain't much between car and road....seriously, IF any doubt....change for peace of mind, be careful on brands though..some are CR#PAsk the folks on here, or fit original fitment tyre brand/patterns... occasionally tyres are designed for a specific car(usually top end stuff, but not always..)

I had a blow out on a tyre at 70mph so I don't mess around with tyres at all now if I have any doubt I will change. So I had a blow out on drivers side replaced with a different brand of tyre but as I wanted matching across the same axle I paid for another one but the garage said i was wasting my money But when the went to change it it also has a buldge appearing in the side wall so another ticking time bomb blow out, and what i should imagine happened was it was a second hand car when I bought it and it had been sitting on flat tyres for a while weakening the side wall then some bright spark pumped up and away it went no one would ever know. Be careful out there guys there are some cowboys out there and don't mess around when it comes to tyres
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions