Uber admits hiding massive data breach and paying hackers

Found 22nd Nov 2017
Uber admits hiding huge data breach

Uber has confirmed that it hid a massive data breach affecting over 57 million customers and drivers.

The hack occurred in 2016. The taxi service paid the hackers in the region of £75,000 to delete the data.

According to widespread reports, the firm's former CEO Travis Kalanick learnt about the breach over a year ago.

According to a post on Uber's website: "Rider information included the names, email addresses and mobile phone numbers related to accounts globally. Our outside forensics experts have not seen any indication that trip location history, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, Social Security numbers or dates of birth were downloaded."

Uber also states that affected individuals need take no special action as a result of the breach, however Computing would advise paying careful attention to credit card and other forms of financial transaction over the next few months.

Full story click me
Community Updates
  1. Misc
  1. Misc
Not sure I like the cut of these Uber peoples jib shab ?
whether hacked or not, quantum computing is on its way, assume all your encrypted stored secret will be unencrypted, so consider other techniques for better secrecy (like pencil to paper or face to face speech).

Quantum Computing Is Coming for Your Data
Edited by: "splender" 22nd Nov 2017
Great job Uber.

Well done for keeping confidential about breaching confidential info.

Edited by: "davewave" 22nd Nov 2017
Uber is a complete joke of a company and is not fit for purpose. Many nations around the world have suspended or banned parts of their operation. Meanwhile their London licence appeal could take years. A complete farce.

From their website

We are monitoring the affected accounts and have flagged them for additional fraud protection - that's all 57 million of them!

And to show their complete incompetence, from the link I provided click on their link at the bottom of that page for more info on the incident.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 23rd Nov 2017
Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants