Uber cab

Posted 25th NovEdited by:"mutley1"
My cousin was visiting London recently and she called a uber cab in London on the app and it seemed to work really well. The app showed all available cabs within the immediate vicinity and she got a cab within 7 minutes.

She was recommended uber by a friend. I have been recommended uber in the past but have never used them.

I have just looked on trustpilot and they have been slated. Anyone got experience of using uber, particularly in London and can share your experience?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mas12325/11/2019 16:41

This is a bad time to ask this question since Uber just lost their licence …This is a bad time to ask this question since Uber just lost their licence to operate in London lol.

Nah. This is just a typical Mutley question.
This is a bad time to ask this question since Uber just lost their licence to operate in London lol.
I used uber eats (I know, slightly off topic) the other day - picture on the app was a female, and was delivering using a bike. Get a knock at the door, and a man gives me my food and gets back into a car. I can understand why Tfl have revoked their licence.

This is a bad time to ask this question since Uber just lost their licence …This is a bad time to ask this question since Uber just lost their licence to operate in London lol.

I have a feeling the timing of the question has to do with that
37 Comments
This is a bad time to ask this question since Uber just lost their licence to operate in London lol.

Nah. This is just a typical Mutley question.

I have a feeling the timing of the question has to do with that

when did this happen? my cousin used them just over a week ago!
wut! just read they got their licence revoked today. good timing i think as i had just recommended them to someone else. they seemed quite good when my cousin used them as the app showed you all the cabs available and quoted the prices with each cab. you could get a cab very quickly so seemed a great way to book a taxi in london.

i guess the uber drivers can be iffy as anyone can sign up to be a uber driver as far i understand, although i have limited knowledge of uber so i may be wrong.
Edited by: "mutley1" 25th Nov
OP, did you accompany your cousin on their trip to London?
What sites did you enjoy visiting?
I used uber eats (I know, slightly off topic) the other day - picture on the app was a female, and was delivering using a bike. Get a knock at the door, and a man gives me my food and gets back into a car. I can understand why Tfl have revoked their licence.
mutley125/11/2019 16:50

when did this happen? my cousin used them just over a week … when did this happen? my cousin used them just over a week ago!wut! just read they got their licence revoked today. good timing i think as i had just recommended them to someone else. they seemed quite good when my cousin used them as the app showed you all the cabs available and quoted the prices with each cab. you could get a cab very quickly so seemed a great way to book a taxi in london.i guess the uber drivers can be iffy as anyone can sign up to be a uber driver as far i understand, although i have limited knowledge of uber so i may be wrong.

So you recommend them to people but aren’t willing to use them yourself without people on HUKDs recommending them to you?
IamMT25/11/2019 17:00

OP, did you accompany your cousin on their trip to London?What sites did …OP, did you accompany your cousin on their trip to London?What sites did you enjoy visiting?

she was in london for two days and i only went around with them for one of the day as they wanted to go to places i had no interest in.

on the day i went around with them, we went to the science museum, the natural history museum and we took a boat trip from westminster pier to greenwich and that was really scenic. i really liked the science museum but i don't rate the natural history museum much.
Biddy225/11/2019 17:06

So you recommend them to people but aren’t willing to use them yourself w …So you recommend them to people but aren’t willing to use them yourself without people on HUKDs recommending them to you?

i recommended uber as i saw it worked really well, but then i thought i should google uber reviews and was surprised to see so many negative reviews on trustpilot so i want to know what other people's experience of them are like as it seems odd that they have been slated but other people are recommending them to me from their personal experience of using uber.

it may specific to certain areas of the country where uber is not great and they may be fine in london for all i know.
keeganland25/11/2019 17:04

I used uber eats (I know, slightly off topic) the other day - picture on …I used uber eats (I know, slightly off topic) the other day - picture on the app was a female, and was delivering using a bike. Get a knock at the door, and a man gives me my food and gets back into a car. I can understand why Tfl have revoked their licence.

i saw that you get the car registration with the driver's name on the app so you have a tag on the driver and it also showed you their location in live so you could see them approaching you and how far away they are. it looked like a really cool app. it was the first time that i had seen it in operation and it looked very impressive and easy to use.
I know someone who has never used uber as he has HPD.
mutley125/11/2019 17:13

i saw that you get the car registration with the driver's name on the app …i saw that you get the car registration with the driver's name on the app so you have a tag on the driver and it also showed you their location in live so you could see them approaching you and how far away they are. it looked like a really cool app. it was the first time that i had seen it in operation and it looked very impressive and easy to use.

Yeah, you get to follow them from where they are to your location, which is pretty cool. It's a shame that Uber allow other people to use their verified account without you knowing. They're good for what they are, but it can be iffy if something happens to you and it's not the "official" driver using the car.
keeganland25/11/2019 17:19

Yeah, you get to follow them from where they are to your location, which …Yeah, you get to follow them from where they are to your location, which is pretty cool. It's a shame that Uber allow other people to use their verified account without you knowing. They're good for what they are, but it can be iffy if something happens to you and it's not the "official" driver using the car.

on the face of it, it looks more secure than getting a minicab as you have the car registration, make, model and colour. it also gives you the name of the driver so it looks tagged. but uber can't stop other people using the car with the driver's consent, i can't see how they can police this so if you got into trouble they would have to trace the original uber account holder and car owner. only way they could stop this is to use finger print of the original account holder to accept each job. simple enough with modern mobile phones.

would be a shame to see it go as it looked pretty good and the cost was very competitive. if you called a minicab in london, you would have to wait for at least 20 minutes and you don't get the choice of which cab and the choice of price.
mutley125/11/2019 17:57

on the face of it, it looks more secure than getting a minicab as you have …on the face of it, it looks more secure than getting a minicab as you have the car registration, make, model and colour. it also gives you the name of the driver so it looks tagged. but uber can't stop other people using the car with the driver's consent, i can't see how they can police this so if you got into trouble they would have to trace the original uber account holder and car owner. only way they could stop this is to use finger print of the original account holder to accept each job. simple enough with modern mobile phones.would be a shame to see it go as it looked pretty good and the cost was very competitive. if you called a minicab in london, you would have to wait for at least 20 minutes and you don't get the choice of which cab and the choice of price.

Regular taxis have special plates given to them from the local council that have to be displayed at all times. They prove the driver has no, or few points on their licence, has good local knowledge and they have no criminal record. Uber have a habit of hiring people with criminal records, and if they allow someone else to use their car (as I described above), you have no idea who will be picking you up. Uber do have competitive prices, but they don't pay their staff a fair wage, or give them any benefits.

On paper, it's a fantastic idea, but Uber abuse their power and don't treat their staff fairly - not that regular taxi firms do, it's just more obvious.
keeganland25/11/2019 18:07

Regular taxis have special plates given to them from the local council …Regular taxis have special plates given to them from the local council that have to be displayed at all times. They prove the driver has no, or few points on their licence, has good local knowledge and they have no criminal record. Uber have a habit of hiring people with criminal records, and if they allow someone else to use their car (as I described above), you have no idea who will be picking you up. Uber do have competitive prices, but they don't pay their staff a fair wage, or give them any benefits.On paper, it's a fantastic idea, but Uber abuse their power and don't treat their staff fairly - not that regular taxi firms do, it's just more obvious.

i thought uber is just a platform and independent drivers sign up to use their platform to get customers and pay uber commission, like the way that minicab offices work in london. are you sure they employ the drivers themselves?
mutley125/11/2019 18:09

i thought uber is just a platform and independent drivers sign up to use …i thought uber is just a platform and independent drivers sign up to use their platform to get customers and pay uber commission, like the way that minicab offices work in london. are you sure they employ the drivers themselves?

That's how they sell themselves, but when you look at what the drivers are expected to do, it's a regular job dressed up in sheep's clothing. They are expected to do everything a person in a non-gig economy job, but get none of the associated benefits for the work they do.
keeganland25/11/2019 18:12

That's how they sell themselves, but when you look at what the drivers are …That's how they sell themselves, but when you look at what the drivers are expected to do, it's a regular job dressed up in sheep's clothing. They are expected to do everything a person in a non-gig economy job, but get none of the associated benefits for the work they do.

the following articles states that uber is just a platform that connects drivers to customers. i would expect them to do some sort of vetting of the drivers when they sign up as a uber driver, but the drivers are self employed and pay uber commission for each introduction. this is why there are different prices when you look for a uber cab as each driver will charge his own rate.

i know that for minicab drivers in london, they are self employed and pay the minicab office a commission when they get allocated a ride, so i would expect uber to work in the same way.

help.uber.com/rid…71e

theguardian.com/tec…les
I have lots of experience of Uber and lots of experience of taxis (in and beyond London. In fact, beyond our shores as well).

no doubt about it. Both are dead dodgy. Taxis because of scenic tours, haphazard pick ups if/when you see one, being dropped at the wrong hotel with a similar name AND being told there’s a 50% uplift post midnight which there isn’t (ok that was Amsterdam) and unwanted chatter. Uber because there’s often no chatter and maybe they didn’t pass a test in Blighty.

given a choice, it’s Uber every time. I know where they are and how much it costs. In fact in Amsterdam, it’s a far far safer way to ride.
ccnp25/11/2019 18:18

it’s Uber every time. I know where they are and how much it costs

Until you call one with an estimate of £10 and then get charged £18 when there were no uplifts and no traffic. I got the excess back but it's not an isolated occasion where the actual price has far exceeded the quote.
mutley125/11/2019 18:17

the following articles states that uber is just a platform that connects …the following articles states that uber is just a platform that connects drivers to customers. i would expect them to do some sort of vetting of the drivers when they sign up as a uber driver, but the drivers are self employed and pay uber commission for each introduction. this is why there are different prices when you look for a uber cab as each driver will charge his own rate.i know that for minicab drivers in london, they are self employed and pay the minicab office a commission when they get allocated a ride, so i would expect uber to work in the same way.https://help.uber.com/riders/article/how-does-uber-work?nodeId=738d1ff7-5fe0-4383-b34c-4a2480efd71ehttps://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jun/07/uber-drivers-are-not-employees-fair-work-ombudsman-rules

They have lost several court cases world wide, because cities have deemed what they do as regular employment, despite what they say they do.

This link to a bbc article is just one example.
deeky25/11/2019 18:21

Until you call one with an estimate of £10 and then get charged £18 when t …Until you call one with an estimate of £10 and then get charged £18 when there were no uplifts and no traffic. I got the excess back but it's not an isolated occasion where the actual price has far exceeded the quote.

thanks for mentioning it and thanks for saying it is worth pursuing to get your money back
ccnp25/11/2019 18:59

thanks for mentioning it and thanks for saying it is worth pursuing to get …thanks for mentioning it and thanks for saying it is worth pursuing to get your money back

In fairness to Uber website, I complained through the app, which was simple, and they repaid it straight away. It was so simple it made me wonder if it's so prevalent that they don't even bother trying to fight you.
deeky25/11/2019 19:01

In fairness to Uber website, I complained through the app, which was …In fairness to Uber website, I complained through the app, which was simple, and they repaid it straight away. It was so simple it made me wonder if it's so prevalent that they don't even bother trying to fight you.

After losing $5bn in the 2nd quarter of this year, I dont think they prioritise trying to make any money at all
ccnp25/11/2019 18:18

I have lots of experience of Uber and lots of experience of taxis (in and …I have lots of experience of Uber and lots of experience of taxis (in and beyond London. In fact, beyond our shores as well).no doubt about it. Both are dead dodgy. Taxis because of scenic tours, haphazard pick ups if/when you see one, being dropped at the wrong hotel with a similar name AND being told there’s a 50% uplift post midnight which there isn’t (ok that was Amsterdam) and unwanted chatter. Uber because there’s often no chatter and maybe they didn’t pass a test in Blighty. given a choice, it’s Uber every time. I know where they are and how much it costs. In fact in Amsterdam, it’s a far far safer way to ride.

being tight, i rarely use a london taxi as they cost an arm and a leg, and so i would rather get public transport, but the rare occasion that i have used them, they do tend to go the long way to get from A to B and the clock already has money on it as soon as they start!

i used to call the minicabs for my mum but they would take a while to come and it is not always convenient if you are not being picked up from an address but you are standing in the street. but at least their pricing was fairer.

uber seems to offer competitive prices as the drivers compete for business and you can get the cab that is nearest to you so you don't have to wait for long. the business model seems great but it sounds like they have not been good enough with security.

maybe now that their licence has been revoked for london, they will put in place better security measures so they can continue to operate in the capital.
I used Uber pretty good except twice, first I was giving directions to the driver and he turned around and said to me 'dont give me orders!' I should have said "if I don't how would you get to the destination" only thought of it after I got out but just laughed it off . The next bad one was when I checked my ratings on Uber app the driver rates us and I started checking after a ride. There was one ride where the driver wanted to talk to me and I have a lot of things to do on my phone so I was just on my phone the whole ride. Later that day checked my ratings and it dropped quite massively. Must have given me lowest possible.
deeky25/11/2019 18:21

Until you call one with an estimate of £10 and then get charged £18 when t …Until you call one with an estimate of £10 and then get charged £18 when there were no uplifts and no traffic. I got the excess back but it's not an isolated occasion where the actual price has far exceeded the quote.

I've never been charged over, in fact luckily it's always been at the lower end of the scale.

Only had 1 issue when the driver said he was at the meeting point when he wasn't, tried charging me a fiver or whatever the fine is, complained in the app and had it refunded immediately which I thought was excellent.
MR112325/11/2019 19:29

I used Uber pretty good except twice, first I was giving directions to the …I used Uber pretty good except twice, first I was giving directions to the driver and he turned around and said to me 'dont give me orders!' I should have said "if I don't how would you get to the destination" only thought of it after I got out but just laughed it off . The next bad one was when I checked my ratings on Uber app the driver rates us and I started checking after a ride. There was one ride where the driver wanted to talk to me and I have a lot of things to do on my phone so I was just on my phone the whole ride. Later that day checked my ratings and it dropped quite massively. Must have given me lowest possible.

lol, given you a low rating because you would not chat with him? never heard of that before! i didn't know they can rate you on the app, makes sense i suppose to protect the drivers from having to pick up idiots, but i hope there is a mechanism where you can challenge this rating.
I found Uber more safer on night's out, you no when you wake up in morning with no idea, my app told me what's what, but yea I don't do that anymore but I think car tracking is Great but Very worrying that anyone can use car, and something needs to be done.
I find Uber bashing funny.
They hire criminals Ha ha, All drivers must provide a enhanced DBS check.
Issued by the government.
London is the safest with this check as it goes back to when you were 18 I believe.
Out side of London councils could only go back 10 years, so a convicted rapist would wait 10 years and a week then get a cab licence.

Do Uber care who they hire NO, only care what money they get, same as a mini cab office.
Do you speak English or know where your going, NO your hired.
The whole industry is the same.

Would not like to get in this black cab.

independent.co.uk/new…tml
Pricklerickle25/11/2019 20:37

I found Uber more safer on night's out, you no when you wake up in morning …I found Uber more safer on night's out, you no when you wake up in morning with no idea, my app told me what's what, but yea I don't do that anymore but I think car tracking is Great but Very worrying that anyone can use car, and something needs to be done.

39117036-CBf5t.jpg
bigwheels25/11/2019 21:09

I find Uber bashing funny.They hire criminals Ha ha, All drivers must …I find Uber bashing funny.They hire criminals Ha ha, All drivers must provide a enhanced DBS check.Issued by the government.London is the safest with this check as it goes back to when you were 18 I believe.Out side of London councils could only go back 10 years, so a convicted rapist would wait 10 years and a week then get a cab licence.Do Uber care who they hire NO, only care what money they get, same as a mini cab office.Do you speak English or know where your going, NO your hired.The whole industry is the same.Would not like to get in this black cab.https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/john-worboys-trial-black-cab-rapist-drugged-women-court-old-bailey-a8966791.html

as long as they have DBS check i would be happy to use a uber taxi. if they don't speak english, doesn't really bother me as you don't actually need to be able to speak english fluently to drive a car in london. lots of people who live in london do not speak very good english but they can drive around without any trouble.

do they know where they are going, again doesn't really bother me as everything is on satnav these days. my dad uses hospital transport often in london and the ambulance drivers all use the satnav anyway so they don't need to be familiar with the routes.
jimmy_the_fridge25/11/2019 17:18

I know someone who has never used uber as he has HPD.

Bang on with that one.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 25th Nov
mutley125/11/2019 19:53

lol, given you a low rating because you would not chat with him? lol, given you a low rating because you would not chat with him? never heard of that before! i didn't know they can rate you on the app, makes sense i suppose to protect the drivers from having to pick up idiots, but i hope there is a mechanism where you can challenge this rating.

You can't see what they have rated you for, just see your total score out of 5. When you do rate drivers you can rate them on various categories
mutley125/11/2019 21:15

as long as they have DBS check i would be happy to use a uber taxi. if …as long as they have DBS check i would be happy to use a uber taxi. if they don't speak english, doesn't really bother me as you don't actually need to be able to speak english fluently to drive a car in london. lots of people who live in london do not speak very good english but they can drive around without any trouble.do they know where they are going, again doesn't really bother me as everything is on satnav these days. my dad uses hospital transport often in london and the ambulance drivers all use the satnav anyway so they don't need to be familiar with the routes.

dbs are good but I find a flaw with dbs as we have to have one at work, which is,it's only done once then after ,I could get up to anything
the rating system is a bit ignoring,it can take anything to give them good or bad score, an irrating passenger and dangerous passenger is two different things, imagine if shops or restaurant did it, tho is it me or has Uber got way more expensive
Pricklerickle26/11/2019 10:10

dbs are good but I find a flaw with dbs as we have to have one at work, …dbs are good but I find a flaw with dbs as we have to have one at work, which is,it's only done once then after ,I could get up to anything

dbs check only show the checks at that point in time so a criminal record after that check will not show on the dbs check unless another dbs check is done. at least it filters out the hard criminals as they would more than likely have a long list of offences since they were young.
Pricklerickle26/11/2019 10:14

the rating system is a bit ignoring,it can take anything to give them good …the rating system is a bit ignoring,it can take anything to give them good or bad score, an irrating passenger and dangerous passenger is two different things, imagine if shops or restaurant did it, tho is it me or has Uber got way more expensive

that is a definite flaw. a rating should have comments attached and allow the person being rated to answer the rating. i guess it is used more internally to tell other drivers that this customer is not worth picking up. it may be that the drivers can see the comments on the rating but as a customer you can't see the comments posted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants