UBER can be a waste of money

Found 16th Oct 2017
Local cab companies can be cheaper than UBER especially when UBER price surges. Has anyone else found UBER to be not really worth the bother.
Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
It's good to have the choice.
I only really Uber when work picks up the tab.
i like how easy it is, rember places , don't have to mess about with money, but if surge price is up, then it a local taxi, its all. about have choice and freedom to choose, always shop around
And surge pricing will happen more regularly when Uber wants to stop their continual losses on each journey.
Just be thankful that you got there safely without incident, unless it was your driver that knocked Ed Sheeran off his bike and broke his right arm.
@davewave

"Local cab companies can be cheaper than UBER especially when UBER price surges. Has anyone else found UBER to be not really worth the bother."

I never use taxis. Well, in the last 40+ years, I have used one (& that is because I didn't expect one of my parents to walk the distance I was prepared to walk to reach our destination across London).

I have failed as an adult if I cannot get somewhere on my own.

That said, if I ever needed to use a taxi, I would support the "Black Cabs" (regardless of their coloured livery).
Taxis in general represent very poor value.
I was once charged £5 to go a mile and this was about 5 years ago and the last time I have ever used a taxi since! Robbing Hunts! X
Moonwolf197613 m ago

Taxis in general represent very poor value.I was once charged £5 to go a …Taxis in general represent very poor value.I was once charged £5 to go a mile and this was about 5 years ago and the last time I have ever used a taxi since! Robbing Hunts! X

Questions to consider before writing-off this mode of transportation in the future:

How much of that £5.00 charge was a "standing charge" regardless of the distance you travelled on that day?
If you had gone six miles, ten miles, or more, what would have been the difference in price?

Were you aware the distance was just a single mile before starting the journey (&, presumably, before discussing the potential cost with the driver)?

Was this an essential journey that could not be avoided &, hence, was £5.00 a reasonable charge offsetting any costs you may have incurred if you had walked (or taken another form of transport)?
Hmm local cab driver me thinks haha. Never used them there meant to me cheap but prices will go up in time but they will have to take most of the market
fanpages1 h, 31 m ago

@davewave "Local cab companies can be cheaper than UBER especially when …@davewave "Local cab companies can be cheaper than UBER especially when UBER price surges. Has anyone else found UBER to be not really worth the bother."I never use taxis. Well, in the last 40+ years, I have used one (& that is because I didn't expect one of my parents to walk the distance I was prepared to walk to reach our destination across London).I have failed as an adult if I cannot get somewhere on my own.That said, if I ever needed to use a taxi, I would support the "Black Cabs" (regardless of their coloured livery).

I kind of agree. Sometimes it just makes more sense than any other option. If I fly from LHR, LGW or LCY then public transport is quicker. from STN it's a taxi or park and ride as the only sensible options, and I just prefer not to drive to an airport.

When you say 'somewhere on my own', I trust you do take the London Underground
kevlfc5 m ago

Hmm local cab driver me thinks haha. Never used them there meant to me …Hmm local cab driver me thinks haha. Never used them there meant to me cheap but prices will go up in time but they will have to take most of the market

I have read that three times & I am still not sure if you are for, or against, Uber.
Surely anything can be a waste of money ?

Had my first taxi ride in 'donkeys years' this year
once again aging relative also my only bus ride

on the other hand

32261931-VPlJN.jpg
OllieSt13 m ago

When you say 'somewhere on my own', I trust you do take the London …When you say 'somewhere on my own', I trust you do take the London Underground

Infrequently, but sometimes; one journey per week (& only if I'm running late & need to make up ten minutes, rather than walking the distance instead).

My preference would be not to use the London Underground at all.
Wongy11014 m ago

Surely anything can be a waste of money ?Had my first taxi ride in …Surely anything can be a waste of money ?Had my first taxi ride in 'donkeys years' this yearonce again aging relative also my only bus ride on the other hand[Image]

Yes, the financial cost of the convenience of the service & how your time will be spent during transportation, compared to the same journey by any other means, will need to be taken into account.

Imagine sharing a double-seat with Sheldon for an hour on a train journey.

Some may find that very beneficial, & others would avoid it at any cost!

Also, some forms of transport have a novelty value, either because of their infrequent use, or due to the age/experience of the traveller.
fanpages8 m ago

Yes, the financial cost of the convenience of the service & how your … Yes, the financial cost of the convenience of the service & how your time will be spent during transportation, compared to the same journey by any other means, will need to be taken into account.Imagine sharing a double-seat with Sheldon for an hour on a train journey.Some may find that very beneficial, & others would avoid it at any cost!Also, some forms of transport have a novelty value, either because of their infrequent use, or due to the age/experience of the traveller.

On trains in my experience you can just get up and move(much like a lot of cricket matches)
fanpages15 m ago

Infrequently, but sometimes; one journey per week (& only if I'm running …Infrequently, but sometimes; one journey per week (& only if I'm running late & need to make up ten minutes, rather than walking the distance instead).My preference would be not to use the London Underground at all.

I wish I could do that
Local charge same or similar as uber so opt for uber.
Wongy1101 h, 3 m ago

[Video] On trains in my experience you can just get up and move(much like …[Video] On trains in my experience you can just get up and move(much like a lot of cricket matches)

You are very lucky on (so-called) "Rush" (so-called) "Hour" trains to/from London if you can move at all before the train reaches a station.

Not as bad a Tokyo, but there is always one more person trying to get onboard...

Still... it could be worse...

The London Undergroud can be almost as bad

OllieSt1 h, 4 m ago

I wish I could do that

Depending on the time of day, when I walk to the Docklands, I can often beat co-workers on the tube network travelling from Central London to Canary Wharf!
I got side-tracked with finding videos about the London Underground & ended up at the channel below...

So funny. If you've got a few minutes... or hours...
At times like this I'm reminded of that 'London underground' song.
Destard7 h, 17 m ago

At times like this I'm reminded of that 'London underground' song.

If you like their sense of humour, then Adam Kay, one half of the Amateur Transplants, has got a new book out that’s funny as hell and worrying as hell also. It’s called This is Going to Hurt and is well worth a read.
All depends on the journey and how important it is.

My order of preference for london is Black Cab, Uber, Local minicab firm (usually a battered Zafira driven by a murderer)

The most I have paid for a cab is £80 from Canary Wharf to Kings X on the last friday before christmas, the tubes were down due to a police incident. The black cab driver despite very heavy traffic got me to my train on time saving me having to buy another ticket. So I gave him £40 as a tip. I wouldn't have used Uber as that journey was important to me to use a bloke with a sat nav.
DKLS5 h, 38 m ago

All depends on the journey and how important it is.My order of preference …All depends on the journey and how important it is.My order of preference for london is Black Cab, Uber, Local minicab firm (usually a battered Zafira driven by a murderer)The most I have paid for a cab is £80 from Canary Wharf to Kings X on the last friday before christmas, the tubes were down due to a police incident. The black cab driver despite very heavy traffic got me to my train on time saving me having to buy another ticket. So I gave him £40 as a tip. I wouldn't have used Uber as that journey was important to me to use a bloke with a sat nav.

And the moral of the story is buy a more flexible train ticket
OllieSt14 h, 2 m ago

And the moral of the story is buy a more flexible train ticket

No the moral of the story is to work somewhere with a generous T&E allowance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions