Uber must follow same rules as taxis - EU court

12 Comments
deleted265520
davewave8 m ago

Aaah...but what will the snowflakes do without the 'liberal' way Uber …Aaah...but what will the snowflakes do without the 'liberal' way Uber treats its 'staff'...love the way lefties go up in arms about Sports Direct poor practice but not Uber. Very dodgy companies which I hope go out of business.Making hay until regulation catches up with em.

What on earth are you on about?

From what I've seen most "lefties" are against this so called gig economy. Uber is exploiting it's work force and if anything it's the left who are criticising them for it...

Your agenda is glaringly obvious.
Which rules in particular? Taking people on the tourist route if trade is quiet? No fixed prices?

Fed up with following smoke belching taxis because they don't have to conform to emissions rules

Long live Uber
ccnp28 m ago

Which rules in particular? Taking people on the tourist route if trade is …Which rules in particular? Taking people on the tourist route if trade is quiet? No fixed prices? Fed up with following smoke belching taxis because they don't have to conform to emissions rulesLong live Uber

The majority of council licensed taxis are put through a more rigorous inspection for road/public safety. It's only unscrupulous taxi drivers/taxi owners/taxi businesses that flout these extra tests/checks. And Uber AFAIK do not have the same tests/checks because of their "business type" so any Uber driver in any car can pick up any member of the public without any guarantee either it's the "registered" car or the "registered person".

If you have a problem with any licensed taxi service you can contact the local council taxi licensing and depending on the severity the licensing office can take real proper action whereas I don't think they can do much about Uber... until now.

I have reported excessive emissions, dangerous driving, dropping off on zig zags, parking on pavements/double yellows etc and received a good response. I doubt I'd get the same from Uber.
davewave1 h, 3 m ago

Aaah...but what will the snowflakes do without the 'liberal' way Uber …Aaah...but what will the snowflakes do without the 'liberal' way Uber treats its 'staff'...love the way lefties go up in arms about Sports Direct poor practice but not Uber. Very dodgy companies which I hope go out of business.Making hay until regulation catches up with em.

I am talking about a trend, a shift and I do not mean 100% of everyone.

Maybe snowflakes is not the word, nor is it a left and right thing, collectively (not as individuals) the current generation, unlike the generation after the war which had dominated the civvy streets, is full of themselves as individuals and single independent units. Mostly it is not their fault but they are conditioned by the environment to be such. Outwardly they sell themselves as individuals full of team spirit in words but inwardly they are very self-centred in action. Even something as basic as doing a good deed for other, one gets insults in return when the quality of good deed is not as good as it could be. And when doing a good deed for free, a small mistake is made, then one is held liable, which is fair enough, but the liability is many more times more heavy-handed than the goodness of the good deed.

There is an adage, do to others as you would like to be treated, which means to do good (first) and hope for a good return (later) . Unfortunately the sentiment now since Foot and Thatcher is a race to the bottom, treat others as badly as I am treated. So how does the dialogue changed in the streets (and in MISC especially):-

Before, 1946-1976:-
"They deserve better as I would not like to be treated like this."

Now 1990 onwards:-
"I worked my socks off and got no extra, they shouldn't get any more than me."
"You want more! You are a leftie." ***ahem

So how does the above relate to Sport Direct, Uber and your comment? It wasn't a leftie thing for sure, maybe snowflakes is right but with my reservation above. Sport Direct was hit primarily by a number of events and this one is one of them : staff member "gave birth in the toilets". As for Uber, its workers have not reached such a state as yet. Again, it is not a left and right thing, it is down to the modern language of direct communication: how viral news strike a sympathetic chord with the social networkers.
Edited by: "splender" 20th Dec 2017
deleted265520
splender4 m ago

unlike the generation after the war which had dominated the civvy streets, …unlike the generation after the war which had dominated the civvy streets, is full of themselves as individuals and single independent units. Mostly it is not their fault but they are conditioned by the environment to be such. Outwardly they sell themselves as individuals full of team spirit in words but inwardly they are very self-centred in action.

Please elaborate but in a manner we can easily understand.
What are you basing these statements on?
DT8920th Dec 2017

Please elaborate but in a manner we can easily understand.What are you …Please elaborate but in a manner we can easily understand.What are you basing these statements on?

A one liner for you then, "treat others as you would like to be treated".
deleted265520
splender4 m ago

A one liner for you then, "treat others as you would like to be treated".

Yes, I understood that part.
But how can you substantiate your claim that inwardly people are very self centred?
I only use taxis that are licensed by our council they do police checks drivers background they have annual medicals and cabs have a very strict road worthy checks .They are fully insured and have plate number displayed inside and on the back with photo ids of drivers .
DT8920th Dec 2017

Yes, I understood that part.But how can you substantiate your claim that …Yes, I understood that part.But how can you substantiate your claim that inwardly people are very self centred?

Many, just to name a few in no particular order, they are examples for "treat others as you would like to be treated".

1. Lack of housing, overly "not near me" planning objections
2. Homelessness
3. As trivial, buying rounds in a pub, you don't get the rounds back
4. Student fees
5. Queuing at bus stops
6. Sharp reduction in voluntary labour for community affairs, where I am, the effort is tiny, I had applied for a community grant of £15,000 per year, got it, very few came forward to do the work for common good ( I think it is, "What is it in it for me?)
7. Withdrawal of funds at council level for community matters
8. Process centric managers rather than people managers ( I did no wrong because I followed the process)
9, At work, personal improvement plans (PIP) as opposed to team performance plan or even manager+ team performance plan....
... and so on, if you have a list of situations where people are not self-centred, of course they do exist in abundance too, we could have a look at them together here.
deleted265520
splender8 m ago

Many, just to name a few in no particular order, they are examples for …Many, just to name a few in no particular order, they are examples for "treat others as you would like to be treated".1. Lack of housing, overly "not near me" planning objections2. Homelessness3. As trivial, buying rounds in a pub, you don't get the rounds back 4. Student fees5. Queuing at bus stops6. Sharp reduction in voluntary labour for community affairs, where I am, the effort is tiny, I had applied for a community grant of £15,000 per year, got it, very few came forward to do the work for common good7. Withdrawal of funds at council level for community matters8. Process centric managers rather than people managers ( I did no wrong because I followed the process)9, At work, personal improvement plans (PIP) as opposed to team performance plan or even manager+ team performance plan....... and so on, if you have a list of situations where people are not self-centred, of course they do exist in abundance too, we could have a look at them together here.

Thank you that's what I was looking for.

A lot of the above can be explained by the drastic population growth since the pre-war period. You'd expect our current government to try and improve the above situations not make them worse.

How can you expect the general public to care for each other when the current government do not care for it's population? All they've done is try to divert the blame.
splender1 h, 0 m ago

Many, just to name a few in no particular order, they are examples for …Many, just to name a few in no particular order, they are examples for "treat others as you would like to be treated".1. Lack of housing, overly "not near me" planning objections2. Homelessness3. As trivial, buying rounds in a pub, you don't get the rounds back 4. Student fees5. Queuing at bus stops6. Sharp reduction in voluntary labour for community affairs, where I am, the effort is tiny, I had applied for a community grant of £15,000 per year, got it, very few came forward to do the work for common good ( I think it is, "What is it in it for me?)7. Withdrawal of funds at council level for community matters8. Process centric managers rather than people managers ( I did no wrong because I followed the process)9, At work, personal improvement plans (PIP) as opposed to team performance plan or even manager+ team performance plan....... and so on, if you have a list of situations where people are not self-centred, of course they do exist in abundance too, we could have a look at them together here.

This is great stuff. PIP comment was particularly illuminating, things are starting to make sense.
davewave1 h, 28 m ago

This is great stuff. PIP comment was particularly illuminating, things are …This is great stuff. PIP comment was particularly illuminating, things are starting to make sense.

You are most welcomed. If you are in senior management, aim for team or better still departmental performance indicators including first and second line managers in the evaluation.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants