Groups

Ubuntu

I have just installed Ubuntu on an old laptop that I was going to dismantle because it had become unstable - works great now! But, does anyone know how to do the following?

1: Uninstall a program

2: Defrag in a similar way as Windows.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

4 Comments

1. Easiest way is System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and mark the program for removal or cmd line is:
    sudo apt-get remove application-name

2. No requirement to defrag as Linux OS doesn't fragment you disk the way Windows does.

Enjoy

Original Poster

Thanks for that info.

Just downloaded the manual, so here starts the learning curve, though everything seems simplier than Windows.

martinhb

1. Easiest way is System Administration Synaptic Package Manager and … 1. Easiest way is System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and mark the program for removal or cmd line is:sudo apt-get remove application-name2. No requirement to defrag as Linux OS doesn't fragment you disk the way Windows does.Enjoy

Yes Ubuntu gives a new ease of life to older machines. Until I read #2 about defrag, I had not thought about it! Ubuntu seems to be much more stable on my machines that I have not needed to even consider defragging.

nice link on why you don't need to defrag in linux
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846166
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764206
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio44
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136

See more discussions