Expired

UK AC Adapter With Different Output Rating To China Adapter, Is It Safe To Use?

Found 13th FebEdited by:"louiselouise"
Hello peeps,

I have just taken delivery of a beauty gadget which I thought would come with an EU plug, but it's a China AC Adapter - rated at 100-240V, 50/60Hz, 0.2A, 12V/500mA, the brand is "Jodeway, JOD-S-120050A".

I hate the "export only" China-UK adaptors that vendors ship out willy-nilly, so I'd like to source a UK AC Adapter.

Digging in my drawer of many cables, I found an old modem AC Adapter and found a UK one that fits, but its 220-230V, 50Hz 0.2A, 12V 1A (output).

It works, too, (tested briefly), but is it safe as the output rating is twice as much (500mA vs 1A)? The Polarity is the same on both adapters. Sorry if it's a dumb question, but just want to make sure I'm not overloading the device/risking damage.

Many thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Actually, looking here askleo.com/can…ge/ suggests I will be okay. The Voltage matches, as does the Polarity.

About the Output:
"In other words, while the voltage is a constant and should match, the amperage is something that varies based on the device’s need. Your computer will “pull” more amps when it’s working hard than when it’s not. The voltage will remain the same regardless.

The amperage rating of a power supply is the maximum number of amps that it’s able to provide if needed.

Thus, as long as you replace your power supply with one that is capable of providing as much or more amps than the previous supply, you’ll be fine.

If you replace the power supply for some reason with one that has a maximum amperage rating that is less than the previous and less than what your device actually requires, then you may end up with a burnt out or (at least) overheating power supply, and the device itself may not function, or may not do so well."

TL;DR:
"In short, when replacing an external power supply or charger:

• Make sure that the voltage matches as closely as possible.
  • Make sure that the new supply is rated to provide the same amperage or more.
  • Make sure that the connectors match, both in physical form and in polarity."
Edited by: "louiselouise" 13th Feb
cuzzy14 m ago

Would something like this work? …Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/America-Ireland-adapter-converter-adaptor/dp/B00J16KPRC/

I found an old D-Link adapter that works and seems compatible

I really dislike the China-UK "Export Only" adapters because they are unfused and a hazard for children (or even hapless adults who aren't paying attention)!
33253469-xCHwb.jpgI've also had a EU-UK plug in adapter that "shorted" in the socket and I had to get the entire socket removed from the wall (the 3-pin prongs melted)!
33253469-0Z44C.jpgA screw-in plug might do in a pinch in the future, though. As the beauty device is intended to be used for long periods of time, I'd rather do away with the middleman and just use a suitable UK adapter.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 13th Feb
Yes - it will work and be safe to use.

The device will only take what it's needs - so as long as the adaptor (1A) is rated at a greater than the devices maximum draw (0.5A - taken from the rating of the oriiginal adapter) then everything will be fine.
Van19731 m ago

Yes - it will work and be safe to use.The device will only take what it's …Yes - it will work and be safe to use.The device will only take what it's needs - so as long as the adaptor (1A) is rated at a greater than the devices maximum draw (0.5A - taken from the rating of the oriiginal adapter) then everything will be fine.

Thank you

It's for my teenage niece (LED lamp for acne). She is an adult, of course, not a kid, but I'd rather gift something with a stable power supply Good to know, I can give it to her with confidence
Van197313 m ago

Yes - it will work and be safe to use.The device will only take what it's …Yes - it will work and be safe to use.The device will only take what it's needs - so as long as the adaptor (1A) is rated at a greater than the devices maximum draw (0.5A - taken from the rating of the oriiginal adapter) then everything will be fine.

Somewhat casual response. No mention if the device requires / would benefit from a regualted supply, and no mention if the alternative supply is regulated. A supply rated at 12V DC that is unregulated could kick out as much as 17V+ under low load - that may not be "safe" for the device.
There's no data sheet in the device's documentation, on the gadget or even on the manufacturer's website, so this is all I've got (China plug is white, UK plug is black - obviously )33253786-fYoX8.jpg33253786-G14fY.jpg
Casual or appropriate? We're talking about a 6W/12V max device that the OP is asking if she could use an overrated power supply that was in use (supplied) with a branded D-Link router.

As it happens both the adapters are regulated. In my opinion the Leader adaptor (D-Link) is (still) appropriate (safe) to use.

I look forward to Mr Royd's opinion.
Van197313th Feb

Casual or appropriate? We're talking about a 6W/12V max device that the …Casual or appropriate? We're talking about a 6W/12V max device that the OP is asking if she could use an overrated power supply that was in use (supplied) with a branded D-Link router.As it happens both the adapters are regulated. In my opinion the Leader adaptor (D-Link) is (still) appropriate (safe) to use. I look forward to Mr Royd's opinion.

I haven't seen nor looked for the PSUs' spec sheets so I have no basis to assume regulated output or not, the pics simply tell me 12V DC and current rating. I don't know if Dlink regulate within the wallwart or within the device, or both. I would be OK with throwing a voltmeter across each PSUs output with no load to see if 12V and / or comparable voltage, where a Dlink no-load 12V would indicate regulated and imply OK to use, or if both no-load notably above 12V would indicate both not-regulated so imply Dlink OK to use. If no-load 12V from original PSU but Dlink no-load was notably above 12V, I would be looking for an alternative solution, ideally not via an unfused wallwart, and both the current options appear to be unfused wallwarts.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants