Expired

UK Driving Licence, quick check to see if it is Valid.

Found 17th Jun 2012
May be obvious to most, I was talking to a friend who did not realise his Licence expired Three years ago.

UK driving licences usually expire after 10 years. Check the date on section 4b of your licence card.

Your photo may need renewing. DVLA send out a reminder close to renewal date.

If your licence has expired you can renew here

direct.gov.uk/en/…oto

You could get a £1000 fine, worst still your insurance will not pay out
if you make a claim, after all you did declare "You hold a valid UK driving licence" when you initially took out insurance of renewed!

It's worth a quick check, cost of renewal is £20. Could potentially save you a lot more!
Community Updates
27 Comments
The older licences don't expire until your retirement age.
Original Poster
realblender

I havent got a photo driving license and so I guess it must be over 10 … I havent got a photo driving license and so I guess it must be over 10 years old. oORead you link, it actually says "the the photo’s only valid for 10 years."license is ok whatever I guess. Just means the id card is not valid?

Correct, the driving entitlement does not expire, the photo does. However.... if the photo has expired your licence is not valid!

The old paper licence does not expire.
Banned
realblender

I havent got a photo driving license and so I guess it must be over 10 … I havent got a photo driving license and so I guess it must be over 10 years old. oORead you link, it actually says "the the photo’s only valid for 10 years."license is ok whatever I guess. Just means the id card is not valid?

no, the licence is invalid as well
Banned
reddit

The older licences don't expire until your retirement age.

doesnt everyone have the new type now though?
csiman

doesnt everyone have the new type now though?

No, and they do not expire at " retirement age " either.
They must be renewed at age 70.
Banned
Inactive

No, and they do not expire at " retirement age " either.They must be … No, and they do not expire at " retirement age " either.They must be renewed at age 70.

how come? I had to take out a new style card to replace my paper one. I didnt want to and hate having to pay this £20 stealth tax every 10 years (I hate paying any tax )
csiman

how come? I had to take out a new style card to replace my paper one. I … how come? I had to take out a new style card to replace my paper one. I didnt want to and hate having to pay this £20 stealth tax every 10 years (I hate paying any tax )

Only if any details changed ie; address etc.

Otherwise you can keep your old licence until 70.
Original Poster
realblender

Really! Or is the expired card just not valid proof that you have a … Really! Or is the expired card just not valid proof that you have a license.e.g. You do not lose your bank account when your debit card expires. You just need to use a new card to access it.This bit you added sounds like a scare story "You could get a £1000 fine, worst still your insurance will not pay out if you make a claim, after all you did declare "You hold a valid UK driving licence" when you initially took out insurance of renewed"and not actually what would happen?

It's not a scare story, it's the Law! you need not worry though, you have the old paper licence.

I am mealy pointing out the fact that some people do not renew their Licence when required and may not be aware of the consequences.

Your insurance will not pay out. 100% guaranteed, you maybe refused insurance in the future for making false claims in the past.

Check the fines structure for yourself, I'm not saying you will be fined £1000,00, you could though.
Edited by: "logie31" 17th Jun 2012
I recently got a letter saying need to update my photo, £20 fee, robbing gets!!! And I could get fined if don't update and get asked to produce my licence.
realblender

You are … You are right.http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/renew-driving-licence#checkhttp://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2081666/Driving-licence-trap-1-6m-drivers-risk-hefty-fine-renewing-photograph-20-cost.htmlProbably need some cases of people losing out to ram home the message. As CSIman says, it is just a tax. Anyway, news to me. So thanks

by the end of this year dvla will collect £58 million just through driving license renewal
Are people really moaning at a cost of equivalent to £2 per annum? You pay more tax than that on a jerry can of fuel, then there are other costs of running a car insurance/maintenance etc

I am hoping and guessing the fact is on principal rather than cost, because lets face it even in hard times £2 a year is jack.
lmao

i'm just watching a crappy film called "strippers vs werewolves" and billy murray just said "i'm going to kill you so slowly you're driving licence will expire before you do"
harlzter

Are people really moaning at a cost of equivalent to £2 per annum? You … Are people really moaning at a cost of equivalent to £2 per annum? You pay more tax than that on a jerry can of fuel, then there are other costs of running a car insurance/maintenance etcI am hoping and guessing the fact is on principal rather than cost, because lets face it even in hard times £2 a year is jack.

Yes but still they are milking british citizens hardcore, money is being collected through parking zone permits, parking fines and now this.

Oh yea a while a go there was plan to charge drivers according to how much they drive and they would do this by fitting a tracker in every car.
When was the last time the police asked you for your license? Never now, because you having a card doesn't mean you have a valid license. If the computer says yes then they don't give a rats ass what bits of paper/card you have. This is much the same with tax and MOT.
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

When was the last time the police asked you for your license? Never now, … When was the last time the police asked you for your license? Never now, because you having a card doesn't mean you have a valid license. If the computer says yes then they don't give a rats ass what bits of paper/card you have. This is much the same with tax and MOT.

Up here in the Grim North West of England the police still issue Producers..
logie31

Up here in the Grim North West of England the police still issue … Up here in the Grim North West of England the police still issue Producers..

So they can confiscate invalid licenses when they should have been surrendered!
i saw on one of the traffic cops programs where they pulled i guy over and his foto license was ood so they took his car off him as he wasnt licensed to drive.
logie31

It's not a scare story, it's the Law! you need not worry though, you have … It's not a scare story, it's the Law! you need not worry though, you have the old paper licence.I am mealy pointing out the fact that some people do not renew their Licence when required and may not be aware of the consequences.Your insurance will not pay out. 100% guaranteed, you maybe refused insurance in the future for making false claims in the past. Check the fines structure for yourself, I'm not saying you will be fined £1000,00, you could though.

I deliver insurance job cars for a living and deal with licences all day every day, the photo card can expire and the dvla will just tell you to renew it and send out another form if you don't replace it then the fine will come into place, your insurance isn't invalid if this was the case i wouldn't be allowed to deliver a lot of the cars that i do. The photo card is pretty much pointless just a money spinner all the real details that everybody needs to know are on the paper counterpart. The fines also come into place if you don't notify the dvla of change of address or name but again hardly ever happens
Original Poster
Memmott1984

I deliver insurance job cars for a living and deal with licences all day … I deliver insurance job cars for a living and deal with licences all day every day, the photo card can expire and the dvla will just tell you to renew it and send out another form if you don't replace it then the fine will come into place, your insurance isn't invalid if this was the case i wouldn't be allowed to deliver a lot of the cars that i do. The photo card is pretty much pointless just a money spinner all the real details that everybody needs to know are on the paper counterpart. The fines also come into place if you don't notify the dvla of change of address or name but again hardly ever happens

You would not be able to deliver..... do me a favour, in the morning, ring the insurance your company deals with. Ask them if the punter is OK to drive with out a valid licence...

The only reason the insurance don't ask for proof is obvious... they don't need to pay out..... the punter has already declared that they have a "valid" Licence..

If you don't believe me... try it.. Ring your insurance and ask a simple question... Is my insurance valid without a valid licence.

P.S your company has a duty of care to check their customers driver licence before handing over the car.... Not only a duty of care,

a requirement from the insurance company.

As soon as your "punter" has an accident without a valid licence they will be liable for the recovery costs.. maybe that's why they

don't ask the question..
Edited by: "logie31" 17th Jun 2012
Original Poster
Memmott1984... After reading your post again.... I think you are in the wrong job... The DVLA do not issue you a fine for not renewing your licence... the police do.... Law enforcement!

The licence card really is relevant... Proof of ID . Old paper licences could and was carried by anyone.I don't agree it is a money spinner

£20 for an up to date card is not a high admin cost... I changed the registration on my insurance when I bought a new car. It cost me

£35, they issued me with a piece of paper with a different Reg...

I work in Transport, Licence checks are mandatory Your company is either tinpot or money grabbers ,,
logie31

You would not be able to deliver..... do me a favour, in the morning, … You would not be able to deliver..... do me a favour, in the morning, ring the insurance your company deals with. Ask them if the punter is OK to drive with out a valid licence...The only reason the insurance don't ask for proof is obvious... they don't need to pay out..... the punter has already declared that they have a "valid" Licence..If you don't believe me... try it.. Ring your insurance and ask a simple question... Is my insurance valid without a valid licence.P.S your company has a duty of care to check their customers driver licence before handing over the car.... Not only a duty of care, a requirement from the insurance company.As soon as your "punter" has an accident without a valid licence they will be liable for the recovery costs.. maybe that's why they don't ask the question..

When we deliver them the car and see the photo is out of date we phone the dvla, they notify the client it is out of date and check there address to send new form, they then speak to us to say that the photo is out of date but they are still able to drive on our insurance.
So can I drive while my licence is renewed?
According to a DVLA spokesman, qualified drivers are still entitled to drive a vehicle if their licence has expired, but what they must be aware of is that they could be charged with the offence of failing to renew their licence. If the matter went to court, then the motorist could end up with a £1,000 fine. The spokesman went on to say that the reason photocard licences needed to be renewed every ten years was because people's faces would change over that period, so updates are essential.

What happens if I have an accident in the meantime?
You may find that if your photo card has expired, then your insurance company will refuse to pay up for any claims you make. If this happens, you will be able to appeal, and if your photocard is being processed then you will usually be ok. However, it will often come down to the insurance company themselves and what their policies are in this type of situation. If you were involved in a bump, you would still be covered for third party claims, regardless of whether or not your photocard was still in date.
So has anyone on here ever had to show their photo card when making an insurance claim? I know I did not and mine would have been a suspicious claim as it was a total loss claim made within 3 hours of picking up the car when the insurance started.

Logie31 you are talking tosh............. thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml

I quote "There is no impact on your car insurance as long as the driver has not been disqualified or told not to drive by the DVLA (due to a medical issue, for example)." and "The research also revealed that the vast majority of drivers are unaware of the true consequences of having an expired photograph on their driving licence.

Just 29 per cent know that it could make you liable for a £1,000 fine. However, almost a third (31 per cent) of drivers incorrectly said they thought it could invalidate your motor insurance and 27 per cent thought it could mean getting points on your licence."

Interestingly, 13 per cent of drivers thought it could result in your car being confiscated."
Milkfloat

Logie31 you are talking tosh............. … Logie31 you are talking tosh............. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2081666/Driving-licence-trap-1-6m-drivers-risk-hefty-fine-renewing-photograph-20-cost.htmlI quote "There is no impact on your car insurance as long as the driver has not been disqualified or told not to drive by the DVLA (due to a medical issue, for example)." and "The research also revealed that the vast majority of drivers are unaware of the true consequences of having an expired photograph on their driving licence.Just 29 per cent know that it could make you liable for a £1,000 fine. However, almost a third (31 per cent) of drivers incorrectly said they thought it could invalidate your motor insurance and 27 per cent thought it could mean getting points on your licence."Interestingly, 13 per cent of drivers thought it could result in your car being confiscated."

Now thats a rarity on here - someone actually being able to back up what they say (and actually doing so) instead of sounding off about things they know nowt about and with zip to back it up.
harlzter

Now thats a rarity on here - someone actually being able to back up what … Now thats a rarity on here - someone actually being able to back up what they say (and actually doing so) instead of sounding off about things they know nowt about and with zip to back it up.

PS Inb4 someone claims that the link is Daily Mail and therefore invalid
Seems logie31 has decided to not return to the thread. I guess being wrong is hard to take. (_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants