UK holidays are so expensive.

Found 9th May
We were hoping to take our 3 kids for a few nights away in June/Early July to avoid the school holiday prices but even 3 nights in a caravan is coming up at nearly £600.

I'm not sure if I'm looking in the wrong place (tried hoseasons, centre parcs, forest holidays and a few others) but when did breaks away in the UK become so expensive.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Have you looked on AirBnb? No matter how much searching I do, unless EasyHotel is having a Black Friday sale, AirBnb almost always offers the cheapest options (even selecting only places with lots of 5 star reviews, which I always do). It shouldn’t be hard to find a nice flat or house somewhere pleasant for way less than £600 for three nights. Also, renting a flat you can make some meals at home and spend money on attractions instead.
Staying in a holiday village like that is always going to be expensive when the weather is slightly decent. Staying in a caravan near the sea however won't peak so much until the summer holidays.
That’s why people do the sun holidays etc we go Center Parks once a year purely because we haven’t kids it’s frightening to the costs a week later when the kids are off! I can see why people take the kids out of school! Have a look at Bed and Breakfasts see if any joy.
What area are you looking at ? Short breaks ( 3 day weekend / 4 day midweeks) are coming in at £300 - £400 for us , and that's for one of the top of the range caravans .

Try Park Holidays or Parkdean they are a bit cheaper than Haven and much cheaper than Forest holidays . If Blackpool /Fleetwood is your thing Partington's have a few sites in the area for under £300 for the short break .
ASongOfFireAndIce23 m ago

That’s why people do the sun holidays etc we go Center Parks once a year p …That’s why people do the sun holidays etc we go Center Parks once a year purely because we haven’t kids it’s frightening to the costs a week later when the kids are off! I can see why people take the kids out of school! Have a look at Bed and Breakfasts see if any joy.

Thanks. We have a hard time with B+B's really with their being 5 of us, we can't all fit in 1 room so have to book 2 rooms so it always doubles the cost.

We used to love centre parcs and took the kids when they were younger a few times but it seems to have gone so expensive now. Its sad really as I'd holiday more often in the UK if it was more affordable.
Or try direct holiday homes directholidayhomes.co.uk/uk . or UK Caravans 4Hire ukcaravans4hire.com/They do caravans on static sites all over the country for prices that are significantly cheaper than the sites own units and generally come with entertainment passes and heating etc paid . Some you need to take your own bed linen or hire it separately .
Edited by: "rogparki" 9th May
It’s because those places have facilities and are in demand at that time. Remember the Scottish schools break up early around that time so that is peak time still for that reason.

Why not buy a tent for about £100-200, some sleeping bags etc which you can reuse again in the future and rent a pitch for the week in Devon or Cornwall?
The prices at many parks seem to drop considerably in the last couple of weeks before the holiday date (outside school holidays ) . We tend to choose a few parks (in case one sells out ) then go back to book online a couple of weeks before we go , usually at a much reduced price .
Camping is all the rage these days. I like camping. Once you've forked out for the tent etc, the world is your oyster. Very popular with the yummy mummy brigade these days. All the kids on the campsite are called esme, Fabian or Sebastian.
dltaeg10 h, 55 m ago

We used to love centre parcs and took the kids when they were younger a …We used to love centre parcs and took the kids when they were younger a few times but it seems to have gone so expensive now. Its sad really as I'd holiday more often in the UK if it was more affordable.

Not sure where you are based, so this might not be practical, but we went to a centre parcs in Belgium (there are loads across europe). It was MUCH cheaper (around half the price). The journey was ok for me and even factoring in the ferry it was a bargain.

I doubt I'd go back to a UK one now as they are ridiculously expensive.
TripAdvisor. Owners direct type sites for caravan or cottage..large cottage sounds like it would work for you although campsites have more facilities that you may want. I had to smile last year as a mare hired a ex nursing home cheap for 10 people off TripAdvisor. It was cheap but I would have struggled to find a safe place to sit looking at the pictures. Lol
Edited by: "wayners" 10th May
Sun holidays Just got back from N Wales and heading to Weymouth in a few weeks. We upgrade to 3 bed caravans for the extra space and we don’t normally pay more than £100.
2 adults + 3 kids
Flights + 7 nights Hotel to Sweden during school holidays: £800.00

Enough said!
Edited by: "gcmarcal" 10th May
not sure what area your looking at?
I just got back last week from a 4 night stay in Lake district, stayed in a large lodge with 2 bedrooms, under £300 (Hoseasons)
anyone got any recommends for a decent sized lodge (sleeps 6) in Scotland but near the beach, and with amenities for kids near by?

we're restricted due to only going for kids hols but I need to find some decent destinations. nothing too tourist heavy, in a nice quiet place but would go drive to local amenities. ideally near a beach. mrs has wanted to go Scotland for ages so want to take her away there.

good topic OP, and im hoping I can glean some valued info from people
3 nights at Trecco Bay, Porthcawl South Wales is £269 for a 6 berth caravan, Date from Friday 28th June.
Site here parkdeanresorts.co.uk/boo…s=0
Or £419 for 7nignts.
Edited by: "webtrawler" 10th May
I stayed with my partner and our three kids during term time in Brynowen, Wales at the ParkDean resort and it was lovely. I think it cost us just shy of £400 for five days, that included the cost of upgrading the caravan to one with two double bedrooms and two twin single beds.

Lots to do on site, huge park, free water park, lots of nightly entertainment, couple of restaurants, and the beach is literally 60 seconds walk away.

We liked it so it so much we’re thinking of booking it again this year.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions