Groups

UK homes to get super-fast fibre (100Mbps) !

The UK's first "fibre town" could go online in the autumn, delivering speeds of about 100Mbps (megabits per second) to consumers' homes.

Fibre firm H20 provides super-fast broadband via the sewers and either Bournemouth, Northampton or Dundee will be offered the service first.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

23 Comments

Yeah, I hear a lot of fibre comes down the sewers...does it mean it'll be a s**t service...?

bjmcghee;1492182

Yeah, I hear a lot of fibre comes down the sewers...does it mean it'll be … Yeah, I hear a lot of fibre comes down the sewers...does it mean it'll be a s**t service...?

:-D:-D

Sorry I can't read this without remembering Google's April Fools from last year...

google.com/tis…tml

whooo its about time britain caught up with the rest of the world, they have had this in hong kong for a few years now and they have introduced 200Mbps the last time i was there.

Banned

I gotta say, I'm happy with broadband speed, what are the benefits a faster speed can give you, other than TV

Banned

IndianaBlues;1492368

Sorry I can't read this without remembering Google's April Fools from … Sorry I can't read this without remembering Google's April Fools from last year...http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

Oooo I want one of those.....where do I sign up:w00t:

kk_cheung;1492471

whooo its about time britain caught up with the rest of the world, they … whooo its about time britain caught up with the rest of the world, they have had this in hong kong for a few years now and they have introduced 200Mbps the last time i was there.

I wouldn't hold your breath if I was you. When the industry bigwigs and regulators got together with the government at the end of last year to talk about the possibility of installing a new high speed network, they said there was no call for such a fast network. :roll:

Down the sewers eh...? That should improve my Sky Broadband connection because that is s*it.

I doubt I'll get it - max on my ADSL line is 1.5mb

ChrisUK;1493047

I doubt I'll get it - max on my ADSL line is 1.5mb

i believe its actually via fibre optice direct into the home not via the telephone line.

Banned

kk_cheung;1492471

whooo its about time britain caught up with the rest of the world, they … whooo its about time britain caught up with the rest of the world, they have had this in hong kong for a few years now and they have introduced 200Mbps the last time i was there.

Might be true of Hong Kong, but you would be surprised at how bad it is in some places! One notable example is the US. Probably fine in the big cities like New York etc, but friends of ours in Florida cant get anything above 1mb and currently pay a fair bit for 512Kb.

bt would probably object aswell as you wouldnt need a bt landline to get your broadband!

donnydude;1494222

bt would probably object aswell as you wouldnt need a bt landline to get … bt would probably object aswell as you wouldnt need a bt landline to get your broadband!

But you don'r need a BT landline to get it now? :thinking:

About time! Britain has quite a normal curve upon how maximum speed a house can get, so hopefully, this will allow everyone to get a good speed.

P.S. I hope the price is good too.

"But this will initially be limited to around 600 new houses. The development will eventually have some 10,000 homes connected via fibre with speeds of up to 100Mbps but the project will take until 2020 to complete."

This is harsh though...

Northampton please :-D

IndianaBlues;1492368

Sorry I can't read this without remembering Google's April Fools from … Sorry I can't read this without remembering Google's April Fools from last year...http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

Can't wait to log-on and download with that one.

duckmagicuk2;1495379

Can't wait to log-on and download with that one.

groan !! :roll:

Lol my uni connection was letting me download at 9200kB a second earlier. fantastic got a shock when I downloaded a 3.2 gig file in less than 10 minutes.

nightswimmer;1494280

But you don'r need a BT landline to get it now? :thinking:

all the landlines (well vast majority of them) are provided by BT, they just sell it on to other companies all your broadband, and phones have to go via BT before they go to you, hence that why you still need to pay BT line rental no matter which company you are with

Google have been doing this for ages now.

google.com/tisp/

oops, already been said.

kk_cheung;1496677

all the landlines (well vast majority of them) are provided by BT, they … all the landlines (well vast majority of them) are provided by BT, they just sell it on to other companies all your broadband, and phones have to go via BT before they go to you, hence that why you still need to pay BT line rental no matter which company you are with

For ASDL perhaps, but you're forgetting that cable is also broadband, so unless you live in an area that isn't covered by cable, you can already get both broadband and telephone services that have nothing to do with BT.

It'll be great until you download more than 1GB at which point they'll throttle your speeds down to 512Kbps :\
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 3911
      4. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11

See more discussions