UK Import VAT / Tax

Found 19th Nov 2017
I've seen a polyester tshirt I like for 45 USD shipping from Russia with free delivery.

Could someone tell me how much import fee I'd pay as the government website has really confused me. Thanks.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

$45 = £34ish

£34 + £8 Royal Mail handling fee + £8.40 VAT = £50.40

£34 + £6.80 VAT + £8 Royal Mail handling fee = £48.80

There is no duty to pay, since the total value is below £135, otherwise that would be another 2.5%.

Customs charges FAQ leaflet
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 19th Nov 2017

Original Poster

SUMMONER22 m ago

$45 = £34ish£34 + £8 Royal Mail handling fee + £8.40 VAT = £50.40There is n …$45 = £34ish£34 + £8 Royal Mail handling fee + £8.40 VAT = £50.40There is no duty to pay, since the total value is below £135, otherwise that would be another 2.5%.

Is the VAT charged at 20% on all imports? Isn't it calculated on the cost of the item, so shouldn't it be £34 + £6.40 VAT + £8 handling?

If you order it with the 'simplest' postal option then you have a chance that you may not be charged VAT (or the admin charge). Definiately avoid any DHL option as they are very keen to get their £11 admin fee!

Yep 20% VAT. Some sellers, especially Chinese will mark the cost box on the customs label as less than $15 regardless what the actual item cost!

H4SS4SSH18 m ago

Is the VAT charged at 20% on all imports? Isn't it calculated on the cost …Is the VAT charged at 20% on all imports? Isn't it calculated on the cost of the item, so shouldn't it be £34 + £6.40 VAT + £8 handling?

Any item inspected/declared worth > £15 (inc p&p cost) is subject to VAT.

I am uncertain if the £8 Royal Mail handling fee already includes its VAT or not, the website doesn't say.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 19th Nov 2017

SUMMONER29 m ago

Any item inspected/declared worth > £15 (inc p&p cost) is subject to …Any item inspected/declared worth > £15 (inc p&p cost) is subject to VAT.I am uncertain if the £8 Royal Mail handling fee already includes its VAT or not, the website doesn't say.

I paid £8 handling fee to Royal Mail for an item from America, it's a proper rip off
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants