Groups

UK less against immigration than most of Europe

chathamhouse.org/exp…ion

Turns out Britain isn't as against immigration from mainly Muslim countries as the majority of Europe, Chatham House interviewed 10,000 people from 10 European states and asked

'all further immigration from mainly Muslim countries countries be stopped'

Poland was the highest at 71% agreeing with the statement, Spain the lowest with 41% The average agreeing to the statement was 55%, the UK was 47%

162 Comments

The ongoing influx of migrants over on the continent could be the reason for the high number of those agreeing with that statement. With the UK being an island and outside Schengen we've been relatively untouched by this plus we've had an established Muslim population for decades.

Most continental countries have had issues dealing with the millions of "refugees" pouring into Europe, some being unable to cope and then you have the terrorist aspect to deal with - people are genuinely afraid especially with what's happening in the likes of Germany and Sweden.

You cant issue a blanket ban, tarring them all with the same brush but I think migrants coming out of unstable countries with high levels of terrorism should be very heavily vetted and they should be able to speak or have some understanding of the host countries language.

Ship them all back unless syrian

Original Poster

the survey basically says the UK is more accepting than most of Europe, it is not asking about anyone about 'going home'
    Edited by: "shadey12" 9th Feb

In WW2 I don't see mention of millions of britains doing a mass migration to other "safe" countries, nor do you hear of millions of French/Polish migrating to the UK. (En masse I mean). Why don't they stand up and fight them like our Grandparents had to do?

118luke

In WW2 I don't see mention of millions of britains doing a mass migration … In WW2 I don't see mention of millions of britains doing a mass migration to other "safe" countries, nor do you hear of millions of French/Polish migrating to the UK. (En masse I mean). Why don't they stand up and fight them like our Grandparents had to do?

Because its an easy life here with free benefits and housing. Take priority over nationals, look at germany, UK, France, Italy - migrants housed and still have our own homeless.

118luke

In WW2 I don't see mention of millions of britains doing a mass migration … In WW2 I don't see mention of millions of britains doing a mass migration to other "safe" countries, nor do you hear of millions of French/Polish migrating to the UK. (En masse I mean). Why don't they stand up and fight them like our Grandparents had to do?

What safe countries would those be? How would you expect them to get themselves to these safe havens when the term disposable income hadn't been coined yet because most people lived hand to mouth? Even if they could get to these safe havens, how would you have suggested they did so when the entire continent and beyond was fighting a war?
    Edited by: "RossD89" 9th Feb

xbox360man

No, look at where these "refugees" come from, … No, look at where these "refugees" come from, http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:First_time_asylum_applicants_in_the_EU-28_by_citizenship,_Q3_2015_%E2%80%93_Q3_2016.pngMost dont need to be in europe, there are safer countries nearer.

Wouldn't you do the same thing in their shoes? Rather than stay in a s***hole country?

Fine line with all immigration at the moment. Surely with Syria the countries that are closest should do the most with us providing financial and medical assistance. Unfortunately the government are not interested in helping people learn new skills so you have a stuck work force who cant better themselves as the wages are so poor resulting partly from immigration swamping the jobs and people who cant move up.

If the government helped people diversify more with education this countries skill set would be so much richer that immigration wouldnt really be an issue. Instead of the low skilled jobs being swamped there would be plenty of different well paid needed jobs to go round.
    Edited by: "fishleg" 9th Feb

The numbers are meaningless!

It's probably biased this silly survey, London being 80% immigrants and the rest of the EU country's fast filling up too, the ones they asked were in all honesty probably immigrants themselves, or friends with an immigrant ( this generation has more contact, through workplaces) , or they're In bed with them, so of course the result will say this.

So it is more than likely, it won't represent the true opinion of the indigenous people of those country's.
    Edited by: "Moonwolf1976" 9th Feb

No one seems to have mentioned that Saudi Arabia has air conditioned room space for over 3 million people laying vacant yet take no "refugee's" Yeah its that hand on a minute moment when you hear this

gpawan

No one seems to have mentioned that Saudi Arabia has air conditioned room … No one seems to have mentioned that Saudi Arabia has air conditioned room space for over 3 million people laying vacant yet take no "refugee's" Yeah its that hand on a minute moment when you hear this

Don't believe everything you read on Facebook!

"According to Nabil Othman, the UNHCR regional representative to the Gulf region, there were 500,000 Syrian refugees in Saudi Arabia at the time of his statement. The government itself of Saudi Arabia has stated that it has, over the past five years since the start of the conflict hosted 2.5 million refugees.23 Sep 2015"

huffingtonpost.com/anh…tml

gpawan

No one seems to have mentioned that Saudi Arabia has air conditioned room … No one seems to have mentioned that Saudi Arabia has air conditioned room space for over 3 million people laying vacant yet take no "refugee's" Yeah its that hand on a minute moment when you hear this

Don't believe everything you read in the Daily Mail, posted by EDL, UKIP, Britain First, Knights Templar international (Not part of the Knights Templar) British and proud etc. They post **** like that to get their gullible supporters hot under the collar so they continue to buy their newspapers, donate to "getting their country back" and buying merchandise made in islamic countries.

Not surprised by the findings of this survey at all, the British people in general are one of the most liberal, welcoming and friendly group on Earth, even those of us against mass, uncontrolled immigration do not hold immigrants to blame for the situation, although there is a sense of foul play when some are found to be falsely claiming to be refugees, there is nothing worse when a nations good nature is taken advantage of.

Moonwolf1976

The numbers are meaningless!It's probably biased this silly survey, … The numbers are meaningless!It's probably biased this silly survey, London being 80% immigrants and the rest of the EU country's fast filling up too, the ones they asked were in all honesty probably immigrants themselves, or friends with an immigrant ( this generation has more contact, through workplaces) , or they're In bed with them, so of course the result will say this. So it is more than likely, it won't represent the true opinion of the indigenous people of those country's.

Ew, friends with an immigrant? That's not British at all.

As a majority of the EU agree, They should definitely ban them.

118luke

​Not really. Not many places in Europe at the time of war for brits to flee. Britain being one of the safest placed in Europe during ww2.

shauneco

As a majority of the EU agree, They should definitely ban them.

Are you including Pakistani doctors wanting to work in the NHS in that?

I have no love for Islam, in fact I think a lot of it is incompatible with western liberal ideology in its current form, but I also recognise that not everyone from a Muslim majority country or who identifies as a Muslim is devout or holds those views.

So blanket bans seem illogical.

http://www.thequotepedia.com/images/115/you-think-anything-negative-you-are-creating-bad-karma-for-you-and-others-positive-thought-you-create-a-better-world-osho.jpghttp://www.iphonehdwallpapers.net/wp-content/cache/4badbfb366f37c2afd54510b6763f10a_w324_h576_sc.jpg
    Edited by: "splender" 9th Feb

coys67

Not surprised by the findings of this survey at all, the British people … Not surprised by the findings of this survey at all, the British people in general are one of the most liberal, welcoming and friendly group on Earth, even those of us against mass, uncontrolled immigration do not hold immigrants to blame for the situation, although there is a sense of foul play when some are found to be falsely claiming to be refugees, there is nothing worse when a nations good nature is taken advantage of.

There is NO such thing as uncontrolled, there are two outcomes in all situations of control and for control:-
    1./ Does extra control results in a negative economic outcome? Costs more than money saved.
    2./ Does extra control destroys agreement for reciprocity under treaty, trade deals and directives?
    3./ Does extra control ends up in even more control for all legits, so called Orwellian moment? Which also results in negative economic outcome.
    Be careful what you wish for in the implementation of Brexit in the coming years.
    Example of control for above:-
    There are 7,674 GP practices and 7,331 centres providing care to NHS patients, the employment of one admin staff to do control, using a basic assumption at £20k/year per admin staff, times ~14,000 staff, total cost is £280m a year of bureaucracy.
    Edited by: "splender" 9th Feb

xbox360man

Ship them all back unless syrian

kay1992

Go back to your country​

Looks more like refugee in a dingy to me.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Are you including Pakistani doctors wanting to work in the NHS in that?I … Are you including Pakistani doctors wanting to work in the NHS in that?I have no love for Islam, in fact I think a lot of it is incompatible with western liberal ideology in its current form, but I also recognise that not everyone from a Muslim majority country or who identifies as a Muslim is devout or holds those views.So blanket bans seem illogical.

I think we have to be extremely careful especially these days who we let into our Country. Also look and deal with the fundamental problem itself. Why are we not producing enough doctors ourselves? Why do we depend on immigrants so much and how do we deal with the problem long term?. Too many short sighted solutions = long term problems.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Are you doing that thing where you read something on the internet and … Are you doing that thing where you read something on the internet and believe it blindly?

No its a conclusion I came to all by myself.

im with luke on this one , or how about we or the un go over sort out the troubles for them , then they can get their countries up and running again?

You expect mothers and children to start an army and fight back? What a noble suggestion that is.

kay1992

You expect mothers and children to start an army and fight back? What a … You expect mothers and children to start an army and fight back? What a noble suggestion that is.

No, we would expect them to seek refuge in the nearest safe Country and women should be equal to men, so no reason for them not too I guess. Unless they have children of course. Most of the refugees in the EU are young men and a majority aren't escaping war at all. They're taking advantage.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 9th Feb

118luke

Do you think the fact that Britain wasn't invaded and millions weren't displaced in this country may have something to do with that? Also I don't think the Nazi troops occupying Poland and France were really facilitating free movement of people at that time.

shauneco

No, we would expect them to seek refuge in the nearest safe Country and … No, we would expect them to seek refuge in the nearest safe Country and women should be equal to men, so no reason for them not too I guess. Unless they have children of course.

Who should they be fighting of the different belligerents in the Syria conflict?

shauneco

I think we have to be extremely careful especially these days who we let … I think we have to be extremely careful especially these days who we let into our Country. Also look and deal with the fundamental problem itself. Why are we not producing enough doctors ourselves? Why do we depend on immigrants so much and how do we deal with the problem long term?. Too many short sighted solutions = long term problems.

Developed countries will always need immigrant labour. That's been true throughout history. The idea that we might produce enough doctors is fallacious given all the evidence so let's move away from that.

As for whom we allow into this country, if you're basing that on the same reasoning used by Trump (terrorism) then it depends which countries you're discussing.

shauneco

They had the choice to help the boardering Countries, not allow them free … They had the choice to help the boardering Countries, not allow them free reign of Europe. Refugees should seek refuge in nearest safe Country. Simple as that.

That's an option, but then you're talking about neighbouring countries taking on vast numbers of refugees and us in the West not doing anything. There is a question of fairness.

Obviously you want the state to do everything they can to give you what you believe you're entitled to but surely there's always a place in our country for people fleeing war, isn't there?
    123thisisme

No its a conclusion I came to all by myself.

So you think that I'm someone who 'spouts the Koran' even though I'm not a Muslim? Yeah, that's the type of thing you'd arrive at. I imagine that's the type of insight that has seen you end up wherever it is you have in life. X)

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Developed countries will always need immigrant labour. That's been true … Developed countries will always need immigrant labour. That's been true throughout history. The idea that we might produce enough doctors is fallacious given all the evidence so let's move away from that.As for whom we allow into this country, if you're basing that on the same reasoning used by Trump (terrorism) then it depends which countries you're discussing.That's an option, but then you're talking about neighbouring countries taking on vast numbers of refugees and us in the West not doing anything. There is a question of fairness.Obviously you want the state to do everything they can to give you what you believe you're entitled to but surely there's always a place in our country for people fleeing war, isn't there?So you think that I'm someone who 'spouts the Koran' even though I'm not a Muslim? Yeah, that's the type of thing you'd arrive at. I imagine that's the type of insight that has seen you end up wherever it is you have in life. X)

No, no and no.

There are enough homeless people to help first, enough unemployed people to do low skilled jobs. Again why are we not producing enough doctors? And what can we do to produce them. I'm sure there are young children out there that would aspire to be doctors. I believe our education system is good enough to support that. Our Universities are among the best in the world are they not?. I think we're just looking at the short term cheap option.

shauneco

No, no and no. There are enough homeless people to help first, enough … No, no and no. There are enough homeless people to help first, enough unemployed people to do low skilled jobs. Again why are we not producing enough doctors? And what can we do to produce them. I'm sure there are young children out there that would aspire to be doctors. I believe our education system is good enough to support that. Our Universities are among the best in the world are they not?. I think we're just looking at the short term cheap option.

Our education system can always do with better investment but you need to look at the bigger picture. You're on a deals website right? You want cheaper goods? Well the way we do that is by reducing costs and that means either outsourcing or using immigrant labour.

I personally use immigrant labour on my home, because they do a better service for the money. That's another factor.

But this thread is about immigration from Muslim countries which isn't free movement. I can understand some of the arguments because I don't think all Muslims are capable of integrating into British society because the cultures are too different.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Our education system can always do with better investment but you need to … Our education system can always do with better investment but you need to look at the bigger picture. You're on a deals website right? You want cheaper goods? Well the way we do that is by reducing costs and that means either outsourcing or using immigrant labour.I personally use immigrant labour on my home, because they do a better service for the money. That's another factor.But this thread is about immigration from Muslim countries which isn't free movement. I can understand some of the arguments because I don't think all Muslims are capable of integrating into British society because the cultures are too different.

I will agree some immigrants are very very hard working and very beneficial but that is a ridiculous statement. You want cheap labour then there are more than enough unemployed people out there that would love to work. Not all unemployed people are lazy lounge abouts and would equally do the job just as good and lots do take pride of there work.

118luke

​completely different situation mate. But Millions of Jews where thrown on a small piece of land called palastine why weren't they just kept within Europe if u didn't know or that doesn't count in ur books. main difference is the ww1 abd ww2 where war between countries not been a a a few thousand terrorist who get weapons and fundings by the same people whom bomb the civilians and then the same civilians get bombed by those terrorist who have been armed by and trained by the likes of USA and the so called countries whom a helping them.

shauneco

I will agree some immigrants are very very hard working and very … I will agree some immigrants are very very hard working and very beneficial but that is a ridiculous statement. You want cheap labour then there are more than enough unemployed people out there that would love to work. Not all unemployed people are lazy lounge abouts and would equally do the job just as good and lots do take pride of there work.

But that's not the evidence. To keep costs low companies will look to outsource work because consumers like you want cheaper and cheaper prices.

I know that you might not want to accept it but there's a lot of employers out there who think that your immigrant counterpart is simply a better worker.

shauneco

No, no and no. There are enough homeless people to help first, enough … No, no and no. There are enough homeless people to help first, enough unemployed people to do low skilled jobs. Again why are we not producing enough doctors? And what can we do to produce them. I'm sure there are young children out there that would aspire to be doctors. I believe our education system is good enough to support that. Our Universities are among the best in the world are they not?. I think we're just looking at the short term cheap option.

It would be great to produce all our own doctors etc. but that would require massive investment that our various governments have not been willing to provide. There aren't enough training places. It's easier and cheaper for us to employ people that someone else has paid to be trained.
    If you're saying we should raise taxes, especially on the rich and super rich, to pay for it I completely agree but either the public don't have the appetite for that or the government don't think they do.
    There are a relatively small number of homeless people in our wealthy country and not enough is done to help them but that has always been the case, nothing to do with refugees.
    Economic migrants are just a symptom of global capitalism. People fleeing war, persecution or repressive regimes are doing exactly what you or I would do, trying to do the best/trying to survive just as you or I would.

118luke

What a ridiculous comment to make.
    I could make the effort to pick it apart but the fact that you've made that comparison suggests you're too far gone in your hate for me to have any sort of impact.
    Edited by: "DT89" 9th Feb

118luke

14,000 children were privately evacuated by their families and a unknown number of adults to places like canada, there was a government plan to evacuate children abroad but it was abandoned due to the sinking of a boat full of evacuees.

The population of the UK grew during ww2 due to all the people fleeing to here from mainland Europe, but it was rather a bottle neck considering the U-boats and air assaults constantly attacking anything in an attempt to cut off supply routes from America.

dtovey89

What a ridiculous comment to make.I could make the effort to pick it … What a ridiculous comment to make.I could make the effort to pick it apart but the fact that you've made that comparison suggests you're too far gone in your hate for me to have any sort of impact.

Because you disagree you think it is a ridiculous comment? Wonderful logic there.

If there was a serious threat to the UK from ISIS invasion and out military needed more help I would expect the government to issue compulsory military duties to any U.K. Citizen able to do so.
    What is so ridiculous about that? France was invaded by the Nazis, Syria was invaded by ISIS.
    Look forward to hearing your 'superior' thinking.

118luke

Because you disagree you think it is a ridiculous comment? Wonderful … Because you disagree you think it is a ridiculous comment? Wonderful logic there.If there was a serious threat to the UK from ISIS invasion and out military needed more help I would expect the government to issue compulsory military duties to any U.K. Citizen able to do so. What is so ridiculous about that? France was invaded by the Nazis, Syria was invaded by ISIS.Look forward to hearing your 'superior' thinking.

Are you being serious? Did you study history at school?

118luke

Because you disagree you think it is a ridiculous comment? Wonderful … Because you disagree you think it is a ridiculous comment? Wonderful logic there.If there was a serious threat to the UK from ISIS invasion and out military needed more help I would expect the government to issue compulsory military duties to any U.K. Citizen able to do so. What is so ridiculous about that? France was invaded by the Nazis, Syria was invaded by ISIS.Look forward to hearing your 'superior' thinking.

You're saying Syrians should willingly join or be conscripted into the war criminal and tyrant Assad's army? Or which faction in the civil war should they be fighting for?
    Edited by: "Cr0m" 9th Feb

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Are you being serious? Did you study history at school?

Prove otherwise , professor HEAWD.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047132
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2240
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767346
      4. What would be HELL to you?2634

See more discussions