UK lockdown announced for COVID-19

Deal editor537
Posted 23rd Mar
After a spate of store closures today, and retailers making the decisions themselves to close stores and attempt to reduce the risk of transmission, Boris Johnson has announced a UK wide lockdown, restricting all non-essential travel.

As suspected, the government has now taken more drastic measures to control the rate of spread of the virus, after it was reported that a large number of the public were not taking heed of government advice regarding staying at home and social distancing, with public parks, beaches, and other tourist hot spots seeing an increase in foot fall over the weekend.

It had been widely rumoured that after the government seeking to secure additional legislature granting additional powers in the past few days, the next course of action would be a further lockdown on normal life as we know it, and a more proactive enforcement of the previous advice given.

What does this mean for us?

Firstly, details are still being clarified, however, the PM has outlined the only reasons we should leave our homes:

• Essential food shopping
  • 1 form of exercise per day (distancing measures intact)
  • Medical needs / helping vulnerable
  • Travelling to / from work where absolutely necessary

Police have forces to enforce via fines and returning citizens home. Parks will remain open, but gatherings will be dispersed. This will be enforced for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Full guidance on staying home - GOV UK

The following additional measures come into effect immediately:

• Closing all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship
  • Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public - excluding people you live with
  • Stopping all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals

But, as a nation, the same message is reinforced. We must stop all non-essential travel, stay at home and do our part to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

What does this mean for hotukdeals?

@Dan has already outlined our position during these troubling times. We will obviously do our best to ensure government advice is followed wherever possible, but in the past days / weeks I've seen an amazing community rise to the occasion, and I can only encourage that we continue to look after each other. Many retailers are still offering their services via online platforms, and we will continue to assess / update on site wherever needed.

A brief overview of some rule changes below:

Not allowed

• Any deals that mean you have to go in-store - including click and collect (apart from the supermarket exclusion below). Any prices for deals must now include delivery cost
  • If NHS discounts require going in-store, we’re afraid these will no longer be allowed either

Still allowed

• Any deals which allow Delivery
  • Petrol / Diesel price offers still allowed.
  • In-store supermarket deals for essentials (food, health& beauty, medicine). Not toys, garden equipment etc. We will also be warning not to take a special trip as stock cannot be guaranteed.

Our community support team are doing a terrific job at ensuring posts follow these new changes. However, if you spot anything that you feel needs our attention, please use the report function and we will look into it as soon as possible.

Stay safe,

Mark
Community Updates
Top comments
AT LAST! Should have done this weeks ago though. Deaths will continue to double every 3 days for at least the next 2/3 weeks because of the lag in people getting coronavirus, spreading it, and then those people getting ill enough to die/need hospital. Soon hospitals will be full and even more people will die.

Everyone please take this seriously and encourage everyone you know to do the same.
An introverts DREAM
fcukian23/03/2020 20:48

Where's the deal?

You can't buy anything, go to the pub, or anything else.
Save a lot of money.
Good deal
Heat from me
It is now socially acceptable to stay inside and play video games... It's beautiful
Edited by: "shtivshtiv" 23rd Mar
537 Comments
40171403-H9UC9.jpg

Do take this seriously folks.
Edited by: "Wongy110" 23rd Mar
Well we should start to see the return of toilet paper now hopefully
Stir crazy alert
Thankfully I live in a Village, so I can go walk the fields alone all day long with the Dogs.
An introverts DREAM
I'm suppose to moving house on Monday
He mentioned non essential shops, what bout other places of work? Do i go to work tomoz?
I may have misunderstood, but how can they possibly allow delivery of non essential items?
malnuman23/03/2020 20:43

He mentioned non essential shops, what bout other places of work? Do i …He mentioned non essential shops, what bout other places of work? Do i go to work tomoz?

Yes, if you're not allowed to work from home. Utterly daft though, all none essential businesses should be forced to close or work remotely for next 4-12 months
What about deliveries?

He mentioned non essential shops, what bout other places of work? Do i …He mentioned non essential shops, what bout other places of work? Do i go to work tomoz?

Only if you're frontline staff.
Retro8923/03/2020 20:42

I'm suppose to moving house on Monday

and I'm moving on Tuesday
Dark Souls Trilogy Begins!
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 23rd Mar
AT LAST! Should have done this weeks ago though. Deaths will continue to double every 3 days for at least the next 2/3 weeks because of the lag in people getting coronavirus, spreading it, and then those people getting ill enough to die/need hospital. Soon hospitals will be full and even more people will die.

Everyone please take this seriously and encourage everyone you know to do the same.
Where's the deal?
I work in an opticians is that an essential shop? Waiting for a text from my boss
Edited by: "AllyOxenFree" 23rd Mar
Ballocks! Supposed to have contact with daughter tomorrow
AllyOxenFree23/03/2020 20:48

I work in an opticians is that an essential shop? Waiting for a text from …I work in an opticians is that an essential shop? Waiting for a text from my boss

Id doubt it, most serious eye conditions are treated in hospitals
MrKrabs23/03/2020 20:44

Yes, if you're not allowed to work from home. Utterly daft though, all …Yes, if you're not allowed to work from home. Utterly daft though, all none essential businesses should be forced to close or work remotely for next 4-12 months

Thanks, and I agree with your comment, I deliver car parts, hardly essential in the scope of all this, will people still be going to the garages to get cars done, according to this they arnt allowed to, ..... but they will!
not very clear and nothing on .gov yet
says food shops, well a take away is food so can they stay open (assuming they deliver)?

Shop 1 item at a time
Dusty23/03/2020 20:49

Ballocks! Supposed to have contact with daughter tomorrow

You will still be able to do that, surely?
People are going to panic buy food like never before now. 12 weeks! This is crazy.
Desperate times calls for desperate measures - good to see Boris finally doing the sensible thing - should have done this a fortnight back, but thank god better late then never. Now lets stay strong, safe and ensure we do everything we can to not spread the virus further.

40171513-rvkVL.jpg
Edited by: "matwalaboy" 23rd Mar
Thanks @Mark for the update
Is taxi service also closed? Or is that optional for businesses.

I can’t drive and don’t want to use bus so was asking.
Edited by: "pearlofwisdom" 23rd Mar

Where's the deal?

You can't buy anything, go to the pub, or anything else.
Save a lot of money.
Good deal
Heat from me
julieallen23/03/2020 20:50

not very clear and nothing on .gov yetsays food shops, well a take away is …not very clear and nothing on .gov yetsays food shops, well a take away is food so can they stay open (assuming they deliver)?

I'm sure we will receive clarification soon.
Can anyone help, I don’t live with my children and I have them every other weekend and once in the week to sleep, Is this still allowed as he said you shouldn’t be in contact with people you don’t live with? one of my children have been poorly last year too so don’t want to put her at risk?

Where's the deal?

The deal is go out , and risk your life, or that of others, or stay in and hopefully survive the storm unscathed.
Think they need to clarify what's essential. I'm a plumber and need to sort out emergency jobs as they come up, can't work out at the moment if I can get parts from any merchants!
I hope that people aren't stupid enough to ignore these rules as before, but I suspect the same idiots going on the beach will continue to do whatever they want. I reckon government will have to introduce online permission system and ID requirements soon.
MrSprkle23/03/2020 20:49

Id doubt it, most serious eye conditions are treated in hospitals

A lot of hospitals actually refer patients back to optometrists for suspected cancers or other conditions.
I'd say it's an oversight by the government if opticians aren't considered key workers.
willllllllll23/03/2020 20:54

Think they need to clarify what's essential. I'm a plumber and need to …Think they need to clarify what's essential. I'm a plumber and need to sort out emergency jobs as they come up, can't work out at the moment if I can get parts from any merchants!

Yeah I need my gas cooker installing, thats going to be fun now
Is there anyway to actually order groceries online? Everywhere is fully booked.
pearlofwisdom23/03/2020 20:51

Is taxi service also closed? Or is that optional for businesses.I can’t d …Is taxi service also closed? Or is that optional for businesses.I can’t drive and don’t want to use bus so was asking.

Why where are you going?
Pipey8423/03/2020 20:53

Can anyone help, I don’t live with my children and I have them every other …Can anyone help, I don’t live with my children and I have them every other weekend and once in the week to sleep, Is this still allowed as he said you shouldn’t be in contact with people you don’t live with? one of my children have been poorly last year too so don’t want to put her at risk?

In all seriousness, if where they are now (when they aren't with you) is not possible - i.e. they CANNOT stay there then you would have no choice. If they CAN stay put - they should. It might not be the perfect situation but IT IS the safest option.
Travelling to / from work where absolutely necessary

This is not a lockdown, people still have to go to work.
It is now socially acceptable to stay inside and play video games... It's beautiful
Edited by: "shtivshtiv" 23rd Mar
Phsycronix23/03/2020 20:57

In all seriousness, if where they are now (when they aren't with you) is …In all seriousness, if where they are now (when they aren't with you) is not possible - i.e. they CANNOT stay there then you would have no choice. If they CAN stay put - they should. It might not be the perfect situation but IT IS the safest option.

There at there mums now so it’s not a problem it’s just gonna be hard as they look forward coming here and likewise with me... will be hard not seeing them for a while that’s all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants