Groups

UK VAT & Customs charges for ordering stuff abroad?

Hi, I want to order something off Kickstarter but not sure if I'd be faced with additional charges through custom

Like, if I spent £65, how much would I need to pay? thanks

2 Comments

Depends where it is coming from. EU, not an issue, elsewhere could be. Have a look on an online duty calculator.

gov.uk/goo…uty

You’ll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company e … You’ll be contacted by Royal Mail, Parcelforce or the courier company explaining how to pay any VAT, duty and fees for dealing with customs.They’ll normally hold your parcel for about 3 weeks. If you haven’t paid the fee by then, it’ll be sent back.VATYou pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EU special territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:-gifts worth more than £34-other goods worth more than £15-alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any valueYou have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:-the price paid for the goods-postage, packaging and insurance-any duty you oweCustoms DutyYou’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value, unless the duty comes to less than £7.The value includes:-the price paid for the goods-postage, packaging and insuranceType and value of goods & Customs DutyAnything under £135 No chargeGifts worth £135-£630 2.5%, but rates are lower for some goods - call the helplineGifts above £630 and other goods above £135 The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helpline

Edited by: "RossD89" 31st Aug 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Decent hoover55
      2. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)814
      3. Cheapest new phone line install existing customer34
      4. No Dead Pixel Guarantee?22

See more discussions