UKPC Parking Charge - is it worth fighting?

Posted 24th Nov 2018
Hi,

Looking for some advice please.

I came home the other day to a charge notice from UKPC for parking in a McDonald's 14 minutes over the allotted time (1hr 30). It is £50 if I pay in 14 days and £100 after that.

I was a genuine customer in the restaurant and still have my receipt. I had some breakfast and did some work on my laptop prior to a meeting. Something which I often do at this particular site and have never really considered that they had time limits on parking (it's a mcdonalds, which has laptop sockets and phone charging facilities).

I have appealed to McDonald's and they essentially told me to go away, they cannot do anything. They told me I should have spoken to the manager in advance to say I was going to be on site longer than the time (but obviously I wasn't aware there was a time limit). I am really frustrated with mcdonalds stance, because I was a genuine customer, just doing some work on a laptop in their restaurant.

I haven't yet spoken to the parking company, but Im expecting a battle. There seems to be a lot of mixed information on this process and I could do with some recent advise if possible.
Community Updates
Ask
34 Comments
Well McDonald's are definately lying too you. They have the ability to have these fines overturned. Did you try appealing to the manager in store ?
Don't ignore it no matter what anyone tells you. Speak to the manager and also have a moan on Facebook and Twitter McDonalds. McDonalds can and should cancel it
Ask here for advice, I've got out of a few tickets thanks to these guys. Invalid timestamp, signage not clear, etc..., if there's a way out someone will find it.

forums.pepipoo.com/ind…=60
Maverick7724/11/2018 15:57

Well McDonald's are definately lying too you. They have the ability to …Well McDonald's are definately lying too you. They have the ability to have these fines overturned. Did you try appealing to the manager in store ?

Here's there response

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services.

I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our restaurant.

We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.

We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.

Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.

If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.
MANDRIB24/11/2018 16:07

Ask here for advice, I've got out of a few tickets thanks to these guys. …Ask here for advice, I've got out of a few tickets thanks to these guys. Invalid timestamp, signage not clear, etc..., if there's a way out someone will find it. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

Cheers, will give it a look
feeder1612 m ago

Here's there responseHi Thomas, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s C …Here's there responseHi Thomas, Thank you for contacting McDonald’s Customer Services.I’m sorry to hear that you have received a Parking Charge Notice following your visit to our restaurant.We've introduced parking restrictions at some of our restaurants to make sure there are always parking spaces available for customers.We appreciate that some visits such as birthday parties or large group visits might take longer and the parking restrictions aren't intended to stop this. If you think your stay will exceed the stated maximum parking time then please speak to a manager in advance.Your number plate is scanned by our Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) system when you enter our car park, and then again when you leave. If you have overstayed the maximum time allowed, you will not be notified straight away- a Parking Charge Notice will be sent to you via the post.If you feel that a Parking Charge Notice has been issued in error, please contact our approved contractors who issued the charge in order to appeal the charge. Unfortunately McDonald's are unable to revoke parking tickets- the outcome of the appeal is final and cannot be overturned by McDonald’s.Many thanks for taking the time to contact McDonald’s Customer Services.

That's just a standard stock response. Their employees get tickets all the time when they go to cover different restaurants. The store manager of these restaurants is able to call a number and have it overturned within a few minutes.
Pay your fine.

Next time maybe set a notification on your laptop/phone.
Drive out and in again next time

I thought these weren’t enforceable and they would have to take you to court if they wanted payment which rarely happened or have I got that wrong?
Joey.Bloggsy24/11/2018 16:39

Drive out and in again next time I thought these weren’t enforceable a …Drive out and in again next time I thought these weren’t enforceable and they would have to take you to court if they wanted payment which rarely happened or have I got that wrong?

That won't work they usually have no return within 3 hours on these types of things. Then you'd have two tickets.

They are enforceable, but usually if you have a reciept they will take it and drop it. Odd response from McDonalds.
I had similar but I went back and spoke to the manager of the mcdonalds site who rang up the parking co and sorted it out. Maybe this was because he knows im a regular and spend a few quid rather than just someone leaving their car their all day which is what used to happen
Wongy11015 m ago

Pay your fine.Next time maybe set a notification on your laptop/phone.

I didn't know it was a time restricted car park, they've only recently introduced it. They advertise on TV that their restaurants are a place you can do work and have meetings, they also have laptop charging points and phone charging. This isn't me abusing the system, its a genuine customer, not realising they'd overstayed.
Don't they have signs up ?
Wongy11024/11/2018 16:47

Don't they have signs up ?

They probably do, but at 7am after an hour drive, when you've stopped and done work at that branch countless times before. You get complacent.
MANDRIB24/11/2018 16:07

Ask here for advice, I've got out of a few tickets thanks to these guys. …Ask here for advice, I've got out of a few tickets thanks to these guys. Invalid timestamp, signage not clear, etc..., if there's a way out someone will find it. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=60

Just be careful with this site. My £35 fine turned into a £70 because I was listening to the advice on that site and ultimately lost at the hearing stage.
Try this site, its great. They helped me get mine cancelled.
Try this site, its great. They helped me get mine cancelled.

Third time lucky: forums.pepipoo.com/
feeder1641 m ago

They probably do, but at 7am after an hour drive, when you've stopped and …They probably do, but at 7am after an hour drive, when you've stopped and done work at that branch countless times before. You get complacent.

Yeah well i wasn't there you would think if you were a 'regular' they would bend the rules a little ?

Maybe you should think about taking your custom elsewhere ?

As it is they are a business and need the spaces for other customers.
Your best bet is to take your receipt and fine and try to get the branch manager to revoke the fine. Trying to appeal it with the parking company on the grounds that you didn't know there was a limit will likely prove fruitless. Failing that try pepipoo to see if they could get you out of it using a technicality.
Write to the CEO.
feeder162 m ago

Aby idea how I can find address?

Email, I'm sure someone will post it for you but I don't know how to find it.
They may say at first they cannot do anything but says it's causing you distress .
Do this asap, as after 14 days the bill goes up. If you appeal them the time frame is extended .
Misslovely1 h, 5 m ago

Write to the CEO.

McDonalds is a franchise based business. The CEO won’t care. He’s only interested in McDonalds infrastructure buying buns and more pickles than the population can stand.
deleted2103525
feeder1624/11/2018 22:37

Aby idea how I can find address?

I’ve gone over many times in parking bays be it McDonald or other places. With McDonalds just say that your meal took a while to eat and you then were feeling unwell and had diarrhoea and u were on the toilet for a hour
deleted210352525/11/2018 19:57

I’ve gone over many times in parking bays be it McDonald or other places. W …I’ve gone over many times in parking bays be it McDonald or other places. With McDonalds just say that your meal took a while to eat and you then were feeling unwell and had diarrhoea and u were on the toilet for a hour

I like your angle
Any updates please? Have you paid? I'm in exactly the same situation. Don't know what to do.
ypumkin5 h, 8 m ago

Any updates please? Have you paid? I'm in exactly the same situation. Any updates please? Have you paid? I'm in exactly the same situation. Don't know what to do.

I rang the branch, asked to speak to the manager. I then told the manager that on the day I'd come into the store and told the member of staff I'd be on site longer than the allotted time, however, my details must not have been put in the system and I'd got a parking ticket.

Manager emailed the parking firm and my ticket was rescinded.
"I rang the branch, asked to speak to the manager. I then told the manager that on the day I'd come into the store and told the member of staff I'd be on site longer than the allotted time, however, my details must not have been put in the system and I'd got a parking ticket."

where does it say that above?
it says you got complacent and didn't realise there was a limit so why would you do that?
brilly29/04/2019 08:12

"I rang the branch, asked to speak to the manager. I then told the manager …"I rang the branch, asked to speak to the manager. I then told the manager that on the day I'd come into the store and told the member of staff I'd be on site longer than the allotted time, however, my details must not have been put in the system and I'd got a parking ticket."where does it say that above?it says you got complacent and didn't realise there was a limit so why would you do that?

It was an unfair charge in the first place. Mcdonalds shouldn't have laptop points and phone charging facilities (and have TV adverts with people doing work) if they don't expect people to do work there.
feeder1629/04/2019 08:17

It was an unfair charge in the first place. Mcdonalds shouldn't have …It was an unfair charge in the first place. Mcdonalds shouldn't have laptop points and phone charging facilities (and have TV adverts with people doing work) if they don't expect people to do work there.

thats irrelevant

at the start you were 'oh i didn't realise there was a time limit - i did it all the time - so unfair'

and now suddenly you were aware of everything, phoned up the manager etc etc
brilly29/04/2019 08:21

thats irrelevantat the start you were 'oh i didn't realise there was a …thats irrelevantat the start you were 'oh i didn't realise there was a time limit - i did it all the time - so unfair'and now suddenly you were aware of everything, phoned up the manager etc etc

I mean they essentially told me the means to avoid the charge.

Let's be honest, had I known the rule I'd have done it on the day.

Also why defend mcdonalds? I have receipts for 3 separate transactions that morning. I wasn't losing them money
Edited by: "feeder16" 29th Apr 2019
feeder1629/04/2019 08:35

I mean they essentially told me the means to avoid the charge.Let's be …I mean they essentially told me the means to avoid the charge.Let's be honest, had I known the rule I'd have done it on the day.Also why defend mcdonalds? I have receipts for 3 separate transactions that morning. I wasn't losing them money

they told you why you were charged not to avoid it
you didn't bother checking and abused their services before lying
so 'lets be honest here' ... oh
@feeder16 nice one for getting the ticket recinded. Don't worry about this one above going on about abusing their services. There's always one moaner.

Good on you
brilly2 h, 24 m ago

they told you why you were charged not to avoid ityou didn't bother …they told you why you were charged not to avoid ityou didn't bother checking and abused their services before lyingso 'lets be honest here' ... oh

I didn't bother checking because they'd only introduced the parking charges recently and have used that mcdonalds for years, with no issues.
I had a similar situation at 'Baby's R Us' (while Toys R Us were still with us).

Spent hours with their sales team choosing a pram, car seat and isofix base, had them fit it and show how it all works in my car.
Spent over £1000 and then a couple of weeks later had a letter with a £50 parking fine as I had spent over 3 hours in their car park. (this was between the hours of 6pm and 9pm and therefore the car park was basically empty.

Went into store the next day after receiving the letter and asked to speak to the manager who instantly called the parking company and cancelled the fine.

Seems like the managers have the power to cancel these at their discretion if the situation warrants it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants