Groups

UK's First Car Sharing Lane Opens.......

Great idea in principle, but no one else works on the same route, or same place i work out so what do i do if the system is expanding and i know i won't be the only one?

19 Comments

Original Poster

look at this way.... the more people use the car sharing lane then the less congested your lanes are going to be so you will be ok !!!!

Well I think its great, makes so much sense. I'd walk/bus it to work if they would let me but noooo I'm contractually obligated to take my car to work.

Alfonse;1749431

Well I think its great, makes so much sense. I'd walk/bus it to work if … Well I think its great, makes so much sense. I'd walk/bus it to work if they would let me but noooo I'm contractually obligated to take my car to work.

what do you do? if you don't mind sharing. i'd happily get the bus but the public transport round here is a joke!

Original Poster

No, what makes MORE sense is:
    a) taking a lot of the freight off the motorway and road network onto rail
    b) re-educating folks that the middle lane of a 3+ motorway is not for driving in if the inside lane is empty; it's an overtaking lane

Not easy to walk 17.5 miles, each way to work daily alas so not an option for me

I've always thought if alot of freight went by train this would not only lead to less traffic on the road but lead to improvements for passenger trains as well, hence taking even more people off the roads??

boydent999;1749448

No, what makes MORE sense is:a) taking a lot of the freight off the … No, what makes MORE sense is:a) taking a lot of the freight off the motorway and road network onto railb) re-educating folks that the middle lane of a 3+ motorway is not for driving in if the inside lane is empty; it's an overtaking laneNot easy to walk 17.5 miles, each way to work daily alas so not an option for me

Yup,I agree....especially with a)

And improve public transport,make it a viable alternative........for me to have a couple of hours shopping in town with my OH it is still cheaper to go by car,even taking into account car parking charges.Should that really be the case?

Nice to see you around again btw

boydent999;1749448

No, what makes MORE sense is:a) taking a lot of the freight off the … No, what makes MORE sense is:a) taking a lot of the freight off the motorway and road network onto rail

So how would that work?

Original Poster

guerilla;1749478

I've always thought if alot of freight went by train this would not only … I've always thought if alot of freight went by train this would not only lead to less traffic on the road but lead to improvements for passenger trains as well, hence taking even more people off the roads??

That be exactly what i and i am sure other's would want This lane has been brought in, simply to ease congestion. I commute thru one of the busiest roads in the North West, on the M60 and it is gridlocked for much of the day at times. Where there are 3 lanes, quite often you get 2 lanes of convoying HGV's, where 4 lanes, you get 3 lanes of HGV's leaving the 3rd or 4th lane as the only option.
    The roads are just cluttered with vehicles that need not be on there and what is the Government's answer; congestion charging on the M60 and local roads :roll:

Shengis;1749492

So how would that work?

Well surely the rail network is not *as* busy overnight, and more of the long distance haulage could be done this way, as opposed to travelling 200+ mile journeys. I know the final few miles would still need HGV travel, but such long hauls, even cross country runs could and should be better dealt with......

Thanks Mucky

boydent999;1749515

Well surely the rail network is not *as* busy overnight, and more of the … Well surely the rail network is not *as* busy overnight, and more of the long distance haulage could be done this way, as opposed to travelling 200+ mile journeys. I know the final few miles would still need HGV travel, but such long hauls, even cross country runs could and should be better dealt with......

Not knocking the idea as I hate lorries on the m-way, especially those clever ones that try to overtake each other going uphill.... Hello, you both have speed limiters and are both going flat out... Doesn't take a genius to see the outcome on that one does it?

But as for the rail idea, I don't think it would be possible to actually provide the facilities for loading/offloading on such a scale to make it workable.

Original Poster

Shengis;1749639

But as for the rail idea, I don't think it would be possible to actually … But as for the rail idea, I don't think it would be possible to actually provide the facilities for loading/offloading on such a scale to make it workable.

I know what you mean, but surely some small percentage of transferral could occur, surely?
    I know it's an ecomonic issue. Stock etc used to be moved by rail, but the land near rail lines was expensive. Large warehouses are being built further away from rail on cheaper land, but summat has to give.
    Instead of car sharing lanes, how about HGV's can only have Lane 1 of a 3 lane stretch, 1 and 2 of a 4 laner etc? They are banned from lane 3 of a 3 lane stretch already

guerilla;1749446

what do you do? if you don't mind sharing. i'd happily get the bus but … what do you do? if you don't mind sharing. i'd happily get the bus but the public transport round here is a joke!

CISCO Engineer for NHS, covering about 5 acute hospitals and 60+ smaller clinics etc.

Don't have to travel that much because I'm on the projects team now so work is planned and then handed over to operations once its in a live state.

Economics is indeed the issue. I like that the keep lorries to lane X idea (they run it in France), but again it may cause problems for people trying to enter/exit the motorway. It is a good idea that could probably be made to work though, but it's unlikely to happen.

boydent999;1749448

No, what makes MORE sense is:a) taking a lot of the freight off the … No, what makes MORE sense is:a) taking a lot of the freight off the motorway and road network onto railb) re-educating folks that the middle lane of a 3+ motorway is not for driving in if the inside lane is empty; it's an overtaking laneNot easy to walk 17.5 miles, each way to work daily alas so not an option for me

haha, thank god someone else thinks on the same wavelength as me for option b.

middle lane drivers - if the inside lane is free, what is wrong with using that????? especially at night. i get behind them and start flashing, annoying especially when they dont realise that there is a convoy of cars in the outside lane because of the middle lane driver - sorry, ranting on!

great idea about the car sharing lane, works in the states, so why wont it work here.

amansk;1753094

middle lane drivers - if the inside lane is free, what is wrong with … middle lane drivers - if the inside lane is free, what is wrong with using that?????

Not defending them as I find them irritating as well, but.... Tramlines caused by lorries. Bloody nightmare when you get caught by them and have to fight the steering wheel:x

That's why I think they (lorries) should be restricted to that lane, they have ruined it anyway so no loss.

Car sharing.. do they take pictures of the cars to check there is more than 1 person in the car? What about me? I like to be chauffeured by my friends which means i sit behind the drivers seat :P

Am wondering if hybrids and electrical cars (are there any?) can use the lane even if there is only driver in the car. Just like in LA?

£590 a FOOT for something that will solve absolutely nothing. Nice to see the government doesn't waste money any more.

For around the last 7 years in Leeds there has been a 2+ lane which is only for about a mile, The lane gets priority at all the traffic lights. Its a really good idea - especially as I have used it everyday whilst sharing a car. You save about 30 mins in traveling time by using this lane.

I think that they should be used on most routes into the centre of towns - It would encourage people to car share.

However in order to get more cars off the road the government really should think about improving the p**s poor public transport system.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416814130
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …285995
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523460
      4. What is there free to do in your town?611

See more discussions