Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) now operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year central London £12.50 or else fine £80

Posted 16th Aug 2019
To help improve air quality, an Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) now operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year within the same area of central London as the Congestion Charge. Most vehicles, including cars and vans, need to meet the ULEZ emissions standards or their drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone.

• £12.50 for most vehicle types, including cars, motorcycles and vans (up to and including 3.5 tonnes)
  • £100 for heavier vehicles, including lorries (over 3.5 tonnes) and buses/coaches (over 5 tonnes)

Where is it happening?The scheme is initially within the same area as the congestion charging zone, before being expanded to within the North and South Circular roads from October 2021.
3279961.jpgWhat vehicles are included?All vehicles are affected apart from black taxis.

How much does it cost to enter the zone with an older vehicle?It costs £12.50 ($16.30) for most vehicle types, including cars, motorcycles and vans. Heavier vehicles such as lorries, buses and coaches are liable for a £100 charge.

How can I avoid the charge?To be exempt from the ULEZ charge, petrol cars, vans and minibuses must meet the Euro 4 emissions standard and diesels must meet Euro 6.

That means the oldest cars that can be driven in central London without paying are roughly a four-year-old diesel model or a 13-year-old petrol model.

What happens if I don’t pay?If you fail to pay the charge, car drivers face a £160 Penalty Charge Notice (reduced to £80 if paid within 14 days).

Lorry drivers will be handed a much larger fine of £1,000 (reduced to £500 if paid within 14 days).

What if I don’t know my vehicle’s emissions standard?Drivers can check whether their vehicle is liable for a charge by entering its registration on the Transport for London website.

Why was ULEZ introduced?London mayor Sadiq Khan says the scheme will improve the capital’s air quality, which he says is responsible for thousands of premature deaths and other serious conditions.

twitter.com/i/s…232
Community Updates

Groups

19 Comments
This is a deal because?
Not a deal and probably not even a discussion for misc as it will end political.
If you forget to pay like my mrs you get 2 not so nice letters through the post & will cost you £80 each.
Its a BIG DEAL lets rip off joe public : (((
😡
MentalFloss16/08/2019 13:32

This is a deal because?

Thank you OP - I had no idea about this as I visit London about once every 10 years and so this has potentially saved me a bunch of money. If it was not listed here, I would not know about it.

Some things need to be put on the main list to make sure the biggest number of people get to see it.
Good stuff, the air in central London is disgusting.
The rich people owning properties and living there dont want plebs going in the area. If they want to protect the health of the people, why not impose such zones where poor people live and work? Even schools, for that matter.

Discrimination by any other name.
It's a money making scheme just like the Congestion Charge .
Edited by: "AW0079" 16th Aug 2019
MentalFloss16/08/2019 13:32

This is a deal because?

Hope to create awareness that now there is an extra "trap" to fine people £160 in London.

I didn't know that before hand.

I always thought there is only congestion charge to avoid "fine".
Other obvious traps include speed camera. Parking lot fine. etc...
"That means the oldest cars that can be driven in central London without paying are roughly a four-year-old diesel model or a 13-year-old petrol model."

Not true. The Euro 6 standard became mandatory in 2015 which is where the 4 year figure comes from. It was published back in 2012 and I believe some manufacturers re-tested older qualifying cars from before 2012 so much older Euro VI certified cars exist.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 16th Aug 2019
EndlessWaves16/08/2019 14:23

"That means the oldest cars that can be driven in central London without …"That means the oldest cars that can be driven in central London without paying are roughly a four-year-old diesel model or a 13-year-old petrol model."Not true. The Euro 6 standard became mandatory in 2015 which is where the 4 year figure comes from. It was published back in 2012 and I believe some manufacturers re-tested older qualifying cars from before 2012 so much older Euro VI certified cars exist.

I have a 2001 BMW 5 series 2.2 litre and 2003 Mercedes S class 5 litre petrol. Amazingly both are exempt! So it's not just newer cars or efficient ones.
It's all a con to get people to buy cars as the government gets more taxes. Started with the scrappage scheme.

They talk about the environment but make cars last 10 years and then you need a new one when a good car should last more then twice that.
markvirgo16/08/2019 14:46

It's all a con to get people to buy cars as the government gets more …It's all a con to get people to buy cars as the government gets more taxes. Started with the scrappage scheme.They talk about the environment but make cars last 10 years and then you need a new one when a good car should last more then twice that.

Govt didn't set hit up and doesn't get a penny. This is Sadiq Kahn's policy. You think it's bad? Wait till Jezza and John get into Nos 10 & 11
ccnp16/08/2019 16:45

Govt didn't set hit up and doesn't get a penny. This is Sadiq Kahn's …Govt didn't set hit up and doesn't get a penny. This is Sadiq Kahn's policy. You think it's bad? Wait till Jezza and John get into Nos 10 & 11

It was started by Ken Livingstone many years ago. BoJO just increased the charges and coverage area. All for the suposed benefit of travelling public. I dont see any improvements at all.

Do you know where the money goes?
Just a heads up, but most central London junctions are now yellow box junctions with cameras.
Be really careful especially if you’re following an Uber, as they stop just after the yellow lines to drop off passengers, leaving you behind in the box junction and a £60 fine.
deleted1471098
Onlydongles16/08/2019 13:43

The rich people owning properties and living there dont want plebs going …The rich people owning properties and living there dont want plebs going in the area. If they want to protect the health of the people, why not impose such zones where poor people live and work? Even schools, for that matter. Discrimination by any other name.

Errrrm plenty of poor people live in London and the whole zone will cover all areas rich and poor. Last time I went to Lewisham we were being shot at and got armed police out. It’s rough as rats round there!!!
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 16th Aug 2019
ccnp16/08/2019 16:45

Govt didn't set hit up and doesn't get a penny. This is Sadiq Kahn's …Govt didn't set hit up and doesn't get a penny. This is Sadiq Kahn's policy. You think it's bad? Wait till Jezza and John get into Nos 10 & 11

And who do you think he is part of and he is imployed by?. The Government. Do you think the Government would let any idiviadual change anything in the capital city without them? He is just a puppet and the face we see.
Detest this scheme... the Mayor of London (previous and current) shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. Don't for a minute believe it's reduced traffic... nor did the congestion charge (just another way to weasel moolah out of Joe public)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants