Um Bongo

Posted 26th Apr
Did they actually drink it in the Congo?

After extensive research on the web, I'm none the wiser.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
"Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango.
He stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango. The rhino said, "I know... we'll call it Um Bongo!"
Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they drink it in the Congo! The python picked the passion-fruit, The marmoset the mandarine, the parrot painted packets that the whole caboodle landed in.
So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, they all prefer the sunny, funny one they call Um Bongo!"
15 Comments
I would like to drink um bongo in the Congo but I doubt it's actually real. I used to love it as a kid but got some in the last few years and it was so sweet
Didnt know it still existed, um bongo that is, not congo
"Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango.
He stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango. The rhino said, "I know... we'll call it Um Bongo!"
Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they drink it in the Congo! The python picked the passion-fruit, The marmoset the mandarine, the parrot painted packets that the whole caboodle landed in.
So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, they all prefer the sunny, funny one they call Um Bongo!"
Gollywood26/04/2020 21:14

"Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, A hippo took an apricot, a …"Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, A hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango. He stuck it with the others and he danced a dainty tango. The rhino said, "I know... we'll call it Um Bongo!" Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they drink it in the Congo! The python picked the passion-fruit, The marmoset the mandarine, the parrot painted packets that the whole caboodle landed in. So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, they all prefer the sunny, funny one they call Um Bongo!"

That kind of sheds a light on things
"The usual soft drinks (called sucré in Congo) such as Coke, Pepsi, Um Bongo and Mirinda are available in most places and are safe to drink. Local drinks like Vitalo are amazing..."

todaytourism.com/tra…tml
Edited by: "Gollywood" 26th Apr
Gollywood26/04/2020 21:27

"The usual soft drinks (called sucré in Congo) such as Coke, Pepsi, Um …"The usual soft drinks (called sucré in Congo) such as Coke, Pepsi, Um Bongo and Mirinda are available in most places and are safe to drink. Local drinks like Vitalo are amazing..."https://www.todaytourism.com/travel-guides/Drink-in-Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo.html

Now this has opened my eyes.
They did in the 1980s since then it’s totally gone out of fashion, they moved on to Sunny D and now it’s flavoured fizzy waters
Um bongo now almost entirely absent from Congo

Written by Neil Tollfree

The Democratic republic of Congo has now become so unstable that it is no longer possible to obtain Um Bongo, no matter how far way down in the middle you actually go.

Decades of war, corruption and uncertainty have rendered the state one of the most unstable in the world and where once python’s pickled passion fruit there is now only devastation and ruin.

“There used to be sun, and fun, and goodness in the jungle,” said one local.

“Whilst we do all prefer the sunny, funny one they call Um Bongo. There’s just no way to get it.”

“I haven’t seen a parrot painting packets for years now, so there’s literally nowhere for the whole caboodle to land in.”

It has been seven years since a hippo was last recorded taking an apricot, a guava and a mango. As was traditional in the region, he stuck it with the others.

However, he was about to dance a dainty tango when he was shot in the face by insurgents during a brutal period of fighting.

It has become increasingly a fact that wherever they do drink Um Bongo, it certainly isn’t in the jungle.
It was acceptable in the 80's but now it is an ecumenical matter.
My wife leads the admin team at Bristol Uni for a project trying to utilise the hydro-electric power of the Congo. I asked and can confirm that when she visited base Canó lady there were no Um Bongo drinkers to be found
Takes me back, um bongo and Kia-Ora looking at the video above they look like the birds off Kia-Ora as well or very similar...
chocci27/04/2020 08:11

[Video]

oh no.. I'm singing it in my head now- that's gonna be there all bloomin day..
i doubt it. On other pressing soft drink matters, i have no evidence to support Irn Bru is made from girders. A shocking lie and also poor spelling from North of the Border
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions