Found 8th Sep 2008
Hi,

I'm looking for a relatively cheap UMPC and was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction.

I have a massive Dell 17" Inspiron, and it is really lovely. However, it is heavy as hell and lugging it to school virtually breaks my back. My school has a partnership with another school, and in the sixth form we have lessons at both. Unfortunately they're on either side of the city, and is about a 20-30 minute walk.

Therefore, I want to get a UMPC for when I need a laptop on the move.

Basically, I just need something that can browse the web, word process, and play flash games and movies (like iPlayer etc.). My budget is £100-200 pounds. Linux is ok I guess, but obviously, Windows would be a plus (easier to network!). WiFi is also a must but I think all UMPCs have it now.

I've been looking at them, and all I can really see is the Asus Eee PC for that price. On the old Pentium M ones, are they really unbearably slow?

Sorry if it feels like I'm asking too much, I'm just trying to be specific as possible.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

The pentium M celerons are fine, they're not quite as fast as the new Via Nano but they're around the same speed as the Atom and faster than the Via C7-M.

At the very top end of your budget there is the eee 900 (see recent deal on here) and the base model of the acer aspire one but you won't get them for much under £200.

Why would windows be easier to network for you?

I've got an eee 4G myself so if you want anything specific testing just ask. It definitely handles flash and iPlayer fine, web is fine for most sites (Some don't like the resolution, on those the touchpad's built in sideways scrolling makes navigating them much easier once you turn it on). Word processing is acceptable in shortish bursts, the poor keyboard is the main problem with the eees (the size is fine unless you're doing ten fingered touch typing but the keys give you very little feedback). More than a page and I think you'd start to get annoyed.

I'm very happy with my eee 4G.

Original Poster

Thanks for your reply!

Windows would be easier to network, as in my house I have two laptops and a desktop (not all are mine, I just own one laptop!). I have a windows network in my house for file sharing between the computers, so I can copy work between them easily. I believe you can't do this with Linux, though I may be wrong.

Thanks for the advice though, I was worried that if I got a Celeron based one I wouldn't be able to do anything on it. Obviously I won't be able to run photoshop on it, but at least I can get some good entertainment out of it.

lareneg;2930009

Windows would be easier to network, as in my house I have two laptops and … Windows would be easier to network, as in my house I have two laptops and a desktop (not all are mine, I just own one laptop!). I have a windows network in my house for file sharing between the computers, so I can copy work between them easily. I believe you can't do this with Linux, though I may be wrong.

It works fine with Linux and indeed Mac, I've just tested it on my eee and it worked fine, although I did have to start up file manager in administrator mode to see it. I'm sure there's some relatively simple tweak that would fix that though - the windows network icon shows up in the normal mode as well.

Original Poster

Ok, I've made up my mind. Just posting here incase anybody else is looking for a similar thing.

I'm going to go for an Acer Aspire One - its £200 (from Currys/PC World... Of all places...), and has the new Atom processor as well as 512mb RAM and Linux. I'll probably install Ubuntu on it, as I've used it before and have found it good.

I looked online and the RAM for this laptop is relatively cheap (1GB for £15-20) so I can just upgrade it if I need.

Using file sharing (smb) is just as easy in linux. Install samba and away you go. Ubuntu comes with samba pre installed.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would34138
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322811
    3. word association Game74244857

See more discussions