Expired

unauthorised direct debit

Found 8th Apr 2014
so o2 have made a mess of my bill. they charged me £500 for an early termination fee. however I was in in the right and had cancelled within the cooling off period. anyway 2 weeks prior to the amount being Direct Debited I went onto their online chat to confirm that I would not be receiving this charge.

Needless to say, the amount has just been taken off my account. I have just spoken to them and they have admitted that this charge was wrong and they will refund me in the next 10 working days?!

Am I entitled to any compensation or claim an immediate refund under the DD guarantee? Luckily i have over £500 in my account to cover this amount , but what if i didn't? what if this unlawful charge had made me overdrawn !

Really fuming at o2's incompetence- don't ever take a mobile out with them

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

Banned

If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

If it had made you go overdrawn you could have claimed whatever fees charged from o2, but as it didn't you can't get an compo or anything for it (not unless o2 are feeling generous).

Have had a refund from my bank under the direct debit guarantee due to a Vodafone billing error, no quibbles.

The DD Guarantee means that you can claim back money taken from you in error. But the Guarantee does not entitle you to compensation.

The reason it takes 10 days is that the guarantee means you can claim the money back up to 10 days after it has been taken, so O2 want to make sure the money is not claimed back by you after they have issued a refund manually. Unfortunately this is pretty standard for companies to wait this sort of time.

They'll offer you a couple of months free line rental if you as nicely. lol (_;)

Original Poster

paul1005

The DD Guarantee means that you can claim back money taken from you in … The DD Guarantee means that you can claim back money taken from you in error. But the Guarantee does not entitle you to compensation.The reason it takes 10 days is that the guarantee means you can claim the money back up to 10 days after it has been taken, so O2 want to make sure the money is not claimed back by you after they have issued a refund manually. Unfortunately this is pretty standard for companies to wait this sort of time.

thanks phoned bank and got full refund within 30 mins
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions