Groups

Unauthorized payment chargeback in Paypal

Hi there

Just after a bit of advice
    I sold a uvcode on eBay and the seller paid straight away and left positive feedback saying he was happy and the code worked. A month later I now have a Unauthorized payment chargeback email from PayPal asking me to respond to.

What does this mean?.
    Are they trying to get a refund even though they left positive feedback and have redeemed the code.

Can anyone help if it has happened to them

Thanks

22 Comments

I don`t think codes are covered by seller protection on Ebay/Paypal.

Looks like a dishonest buyer, the only options would be report to Police or send a Letter Before Action if you have their name and address.

Codes aren't covered, you've been scammed

Yup scammed unfortunately, do you have their address?

Bloody eBay strikes again. Only good for buying off these days. I'll never sell on there again.

Original Poster

westy125

Yup scammed unfortunately, do you have their address?

Yes I have their address, do you think its worth emailing them first to ask what is going on.
    Why leave me feedback when they are going to try and pull a fast one?

Edited by: "joerob1972" 23rd Aug 2016

how much was it sold?

joerob1972

Yes I have their address, do you think its worth emailing them first to … Yes I have their address, do you think its worth emailing them first to ask what is going on.Why leave me feedback when they are going to try and pull a fast one?

Emailing them will get you nowhere they knew what they were doing from the start.

joerob1972

Yes I have their address, do you think its worth emailing them first to … Yes I have their address, do you think its worth emailing them first to ask what is going on.Why leave me feedback when they are going to try and pull a fast one?

I doubt you'd get a reply from them unfortunately

Original Poster

sham4all

how much was it sold?

It was only £3.99 but it's the principle

Seems to be a lot of scammers on eBay these days unfortunately.
    Used to use it a lot years back but now I'm very hesitant unless i have no other choice.

Yes been scammed. The only way to sell them safely(ish) is to post them by recorded post.

Banned

ring PayPal, take a photo of the feedback now before its removed!
    good luck, that's all I can wish you

joerob1972

​I work all over the country so I'm never to far from most locations, I would knock on their door with a parcel and ask for the person who bought it.... I'd get my money back on principle but that's just me

If you have their address, there are many options open to you............

Did you email the UV code or send it via post?

Original Poster

ipswich78

Did you email the UV code or send it via post?

Emailed it

joerob1972

Emailed it

I believe to conform to the rules of ebay you can't email codes (somebody may correct me?) - if that is the case if you do contact ebay they won't help you. Might be worth checking before you do.

ipswich78

I believe to conform to the rules of ebay you can't email codes (somebody … I believe to conform to the rules of ebay you can't email codes (somebody may correct me?) - if that is the case if you do contact ebay they won't help you. Might be worth checking before you do.

You're correct. See here: pages.ebay.com/hel…tml

As I read it, to be able to sell "digitally delivered goods" within eBay's listing policies, you need to be the IP owner - so unfortunately I wouldn't expect eBay to be overly helpful here.

PayPal can see your feedback, no need to send photos to them.

You aren't covered under seller protection for selling a code. The £3.99 will be lost and you may also get a £14 charge for the chargeback (if it is that and not a claim for INR). IF Paypal add the charge, give them a ring as they will waive the £14 charge in some circumstances.

Had a chargeback a while ago from PayPal, was for less than a pound, paypal issued me with a £14 fee, phoned them and they refunded me.
    Edited by: "wellhellothere" 24th Aug 2016

Banned

Best bet is just to use ebay to buy cheap tat from China, or stuff that's local where you can go and pick it up/inspect it yourself and pay in cash once you're happy.

If everyone stops using it, it'll no longer be an issue.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force2644
      2. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow1027
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767421
      4. One for the mathmeticians1624

See more discussions